Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pray tell, what we’re the rape and murder rates in the apartheid era? Oh yeah, we have no clue because nobody gave a shit if those kaffirs were raping and killing each other.

Also the 25% unemployment rate includes many who are “working”. Just not according to the government.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Dec 11, 17 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If nothing else I learned a new word. I had to look up kaffir.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

No offense but if you had to look up the word kaffir, you probably aren’t qualified to say whether South Africa is now worse than it was under apartheid.

Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt Trump is a sleazeball, but when your assault/harassment statement is that “he kissed me on the mouth without my consent. we need to pull back some. That could be said about a whole ton of first kisses ever.

You don't see a difference between a boy and girl having a first kiss without consent and a grown wealthy man running a beauty pageant kissing a beauty contestant on her mouth without her consent?

This defend Trump at all costs theme is getting a little out of hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the 25% unemployment rate includes many who are “working”. Just not according to the government.

You are going to have a hard time defending South Africa as a model for good governance and peace since the end of apartheid. It has one of the highest murder rates in the world. They have 7 million unemployed out of 21 million workers, and the main reason for their unemployment is that the young people are unemployable, due to illiteracy and lack of skills despite apartheid ending 20 years ago.

A lot of the reasons for the lack of progress is corruption with the government officials getting rich at the expense of the poor young blacks.

They have shown some good progress with a growing middle class but like a lot of countries like India, Philippines, Thailand etc., the government and military officials get very wealthy, and the bottom 20% get poorer. South Africa will be like that for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we steer this back to sexy Mario?

Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Since BK is apparently sleeping on the job...

https://ny.eater.com/...sconduct-allegations

Hahahahaha! No, I saw it. But I don't know enough about Batali to sound like I know enough about him. ;-) (By the way, I WAS sleeping. I'm working with our midnight shift people this month to bring their aviation security skills to a higher level.)

On a side note: The New Yorker's Ryan Lizza (former NYT, and he covered the Orange-Haired Wonder's campaign, plus he's featured in the PBS documentary about the campaign's victory over Hillary Clinton) took two to the chest today and was fired by the magazine for "inappropriate sexual conduct."

Yup. The Sex Harassment Reign of Terror keeps eating its own.

Michael Calderone on Twitter: "The New Yorker has severed ties with Ryan Lizza in response to behavior the magazine believes to be “improper sexual conduct." Full statemen… https://t.co/9N6SgaKXqk"

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

You are going to have a hard time defending South Africa as a model for good governance and peace since the end of apartheid. It has one of the highest murder rates in the world. They have 7 million unemployed out of 21 million workers, and the main reason for their unemployment is that the young people are unemployable, due to illiteracy and lack of skills despite apartheid ending 20 years ago.

A lot of the reasons for the lack of progress is corruption with the government officials getting rich at the expense of the poor young blacks.

They have shown some good progress with a growing middle class but like a lot of countries like India, Philippines, Thailand etc., the government and military officials get very wealthy, and the bottom 20% get poorer. South Africa will be like that for a long time.

Please point to the post where I wrote that the current administration is doing a good job.

What I did write was that 25% unemployment includes the thriving community of people who work for cash and don’t report it. Which is fairly common down there.

It’s a misleading number.

Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
Since BK is apparently sleeping on the job...

https://ny.eater.com/...sconduct-allegations

Hahahahaha! No, I saw it. But I don't know enough about Batali to sound like I know enough about him. ;-) (By the way, I WAS sleeping. I'm working with our midnight shift people this month to bring their aviation security skills to a higher level.)

On a side note: The New Yorker's Ryan Lizza (former NYT, and he covered the Orange-Haired Wonder's campaign, plus he's featured in the PBS documentary about the campaign's victory over Hillary Clinton) took two to the chest today and was fired by the magazine for "inappropriate sexual conduct."

Yup. The Sex Harassment Reign of Terror keeps eating its own.

Michael Calderone on Twitter: "The New Yorker has severed ties with Ryan Lizza in response to behavior the magazine believes to be “improper sexual conduct." Full statemen… https://t.co/9N6SgaKXqk"
He has been added to the list. https://www.nytimes.com/...nduct-weinstein.html

Quote | Reply
Steve Edwards is today’s latest addition.
http://variety.com/...y-la-out-1202636751/

Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I would image for almost everyone but most for poor blacks. By 2000 25 percent of pregnant women have HIV. The figure is still about that. 25 percent unemployment, highest rape rates in the world. Stubbornly high murder rate. Middle and upper class blacks and whites I think are better off likely in gated communities. Life expectancy of between 50 and 56 depending upon which source you consult. A persistently high murder rate. Overall about 12 percent of the population has HIV. I don't think apartheid was a good thing at all but now that it is over we don't care about South Africa.

How is the end of apartheid and HIV linked?

I think maybe an argument could be made given that South Africa is the poster boy for why you need an effective govt. public health effort, but I'm not sure what that argument is.
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a link. In the early days of the HIV era in Africa Mbeki was in charge and there was alot of denial that HIV was sexually transmitted. https://en.wikipedia.org/...lism_in_South_Africa This delayed any effective response to HIV in South Africa for about 10 years. South Africa has the highest HIV rates in Africa. But that is not the complete picture. South Africa in many ways a perfect setup for heterosexual HIV tranmission. Lots of migrant workers who frequent prostitutes. The mining companies didn't allow the men to bring their families to the mining towns so lonely men turned to prostitutes. Then went back home and gave the HIV to their wives. My South Africa is worse off statement was deliberately provocative. It is the LR after all. It always bugged me that smug Westerners in North America and Europe boycotted South Africa. There were at least a dozen sub-Saharan countries that had human rights abuses as bad as South Africa but South Africa was the one we chose to boycott. As I said before I do not think apartheid was a good thing. Thank goodness Nelson Mandela was in charge during the transition he was smart enough to know that going down the Rhodesia path would lead to disaster. It still remains to be seen if South Africa will end more like a typical African country or like a Western democracy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
There is a link. In the early days of the HIV era in Africa Mbeki was in charge and there was alot of denial that HIV was sexually transmitted. https://en.wikipedia.org/...lism_in_South_Africa

That's along the line of the argument I figured you were going to make.

It's a better argument for not letting superstitious science deniers control govt. policy.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Dec 12, 17 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me somewhat of Weinstein.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I have no doubt Trump is a sleazeball, but when your assault/harassment statement is that “he kissed me on the mouth without my consent. we need to pull back some. That could be said about a whole ton of first kisses ever.

You don't see a difference between a boy and girl having a first kiss without consent and a grown wealthy man running a beauty pageant kissing a beauty contestant on her mouth without her consent?

This defend Trump at all costs theme is getting a little out of hand.

I don't think anyone was defending President Trump, so much as offering some examples of the dramatic range of "sexual harassment and assault" claims, some of which are horrendous, and some of which are bad manners, and some of which are absolutely nothing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three more men have been added today and suspended from the NFL Networdk.
https://www.usatoday.com/...legations/943287001/

Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
How were the groupies? On the scale of Paula Deen to Giada De Laurentiis.

mustangchef wrote:
I worked with him on one of his first Tours. He was cool back then.
Mostly nondescript housewives. Batali always looked like his blood pressure was going to blow his head off.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
How were the groupies? On the scale of Paula Deen to Giada De Laurentiis.

mustangchef wrote:
I worked with him on one of his first Tours. He was cool back then.

Mostly nondescript housewives. Batali always looked like his blood pressure was going to blow his head off.

Yeah he doesn't look like a guy who's going to make it to a ripe old age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
len wrote:

No offense but if you had to look up the word kaffir, you probably aren’t qualified to say whether South Africa is now worse than it was under apartheid.

And you are?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Please point to the post where I wrote that the current administration is doing a good job.

What I did write was that 25% unemployment includes the thriving community of people who work for cash and don’t report it. Which is fairly common down there.

It’s a misleading number.

Why has their relative GDP position gone down?

Cite to something that demonstrates your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
There is a link. In the early days of the HIV era in Africa Mbeki was in charge and there was alot of denial that HIV was sexually transmitted. https://en.wikipedia.org/...lism_in_South_Africa This delayed any effective response to HIV in South Africa for about 10 years. South Africa has the highest HIV rates in Africa. But that is not the complete picture. South Africa in many ways a perfect setup for heterosexual HIV tranmission. Lots of migrant workers who frequent prostitutes. The mining companies didn't allow the men to bring their families to the mining towns so lonely men turned to prostitutes. Then went back home and gave the HIV to their wives. My South Africa is worse off statement was deliberately provocative. It is the LR after all. It always bugged me that smug Westerners in North America and Europe boycotted South Africa. There were at least a dozen sub-Saharan countries that had human rights abuses as bad as South Africa but South Africa was the one we chose to boycott. As I said before I do not think apartheid was a good thing. Thank goodness Nelson Mandela was in charge during the transition he was smart enough to know that going down the Rhodesia path would lead to disaster. It still remains to be seen if South Africa will end more like a typical African country or like a Western democracy.

Why do you feel Mandela was a good choice as leader? Read up on him and the ANC before answering. (Hint they basically screwed the pooch. SA is really not better off because basically nothing has changed for the common man other than the color of the leadership).
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Three more men have been added today and suspended from the NFL Networdk.
https://www.usatoday.com/...legations/943287001/

Marshall Faulk'd up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Best post-weinstein apology so far.

http://www.cnn.com/...gy-recipe/index.html

Who doesn't love sweet cinnamon rolls with their from the heart apology.

Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made out of pizza dough, no less...
Quote Reply
Re: Mario Batali Come on Down! [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'd be better off with a pig in a blanket recipe.

ubdawg wrote:
Ok. Best post-weinstein apology so far.

http://www.cnn.com/...gy-recipe/index.html

Who doesn't love sweet cinnamon rolls with their from the heart apology.
Quote Reply

Prev Next