Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taxiing for an hour.
Quote | Reply
Been circling the runway in charlotte for an hour. Boring as hell. Its apparently windy so we arent taking off and this stupid plane doesnt have a plug in under my seat. I need some of jsa's pappy.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Taxiing for an hour. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start yelling at the flight attendants. They’ll “let” you off the plane.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Been circling the runway in charlotte for an hour. Boring as hell. Its apparently windy so we arent taking off and this stupid plane doesnt have a plug in under my seat. I need some of jsa's pappy.

Wasn't windy. Don't know what the delay was except the time of your post was pretty much in the middle of the afternoon push. Just lots of traffic.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Taxiing for an hour. [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might have been windy where he was going? Serious question. It's like when "weather" is generally cited for a delay in departure from an airport where the weather is perfect: They're not talking about the departure airport - the weather is somewhere else that's mucking up the system.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Wasn't windy. Don't know what the delay was except the time of your post was pretty much in the middle of the afternoon push. Just lots of traffic.

Greg

Dunno, the pliot cited shifting winds. Ive flown a decent amount, 25 times this year alone. never just drove in circles like that. I was getting carsick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll defer to the professional pilots here, but "shifting winds" is a different reason than "windy." A plane needs to take off (as best it can) into the wind, and too much of a crosswind makes taking off a no go. If I recall, Charlotte's runways (with the exception of one that's maybe too short for commercial jets) are oriented North/South. Maybe you were taxiing from one end of the runway to the other in an attempt to be in position when the wind finally started blowing "down" the runways. Which end that would eventually be was an educated guess by the tower so as the wind shifted, so did you.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Taxiing for an hour. [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I'll defer to the professional pilots here, but "shifting winds" is a different reason than "windy." A plane needs to take off (as best it can) into the wind, and too much of a crosswind makes taking off a no go. If I recall, Charlotte's runways (with the exception of one that's maybe too short for commercial jets) are oriented North/South. Maybe you were taxiing from one end of the runway to the other in an attempt to be in position when the wind finally started blowing "down" the runways. Which end that would eventually be was an educated guess by the tower so as the wind shifted, so did you.

Makes sense!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pilot was just waiting for the 'coffee' to brew

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you ask for a cockpit tour

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Taxiing for an hour. [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

The terms 'Shifting' winds & 'windy' are not really a part of aviation vernacular. I suspect the pilot was trying to simplify for the passengers. Regardless, jets take off in crosswinds as high as 35-40 kts., but it is rarely blowing exactly perpendicular to the runway. Usually there is some sort of oblique angle that makes part of the wind a headwind and part a crosswind. Charlotte has three north/south runways and one older runway that is frequently used as only a taxiway since the third north/south runway was completed a few years ago. The older runway is 5/23 and it can handle just about any of the jet traffic coming into or out of Charlotte even though it is 'only' 7,500' long. The others are 8,900' to 10,000'.

My bet is your delay was either a ground hold due to the acceptance rate of your destination (they didn't have a slot) or you had to be taxiied around a circuitous route due to a couple of taxiways that were closed. There are NOTAMS out for some closed taxiways today. If the pilot mentioned something regarding 'shifting winds', it could have been winds aloft that he was referring to. That would affect flight time and ETA and may have created problems at your arrival airport due to the timing.

Greg

FWIW, I have flown my bug smasher in and out of CLT many times and occasionally, they will taxi you around the world before you get where you want, especially if you are a lightweight single engine prop plane they can't line up too closely behind a jet.

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The older runway is 5/23 and it can handle just about any of the jet traffic coming into or out of Charlotte even though it is 'only' 7,500' long. The others are 8,900' to 10,000'.

5/23? Not familiar with that vernacular - could you please explain?
Quote Reply
Re: Taxiing for an hour. [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
The older runway is 5/23 and it can handle just about any of the jet traffic coming into or out of Charlotte even though it is 'only' 7,500' long. The others are 8,900' to 10,000'.

5/23? Not familiar with that vernacular - could you please explain?

Sorry. Runways are identified by the closest compass heading they align with. If you are on one end, you are pointing at a heading of 050 degrees, if you are at the other end, you are pointing at 230 degrees.

Quote Reply