Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

.22cal Goodness
Quote | Reply
Zero'd new .22 yesterday. Palmetto State Armory had a sale on Ruger 10/22 with threaded barrel and could not resist. That's a AAC Pilot threaded on the end of the Ruger

It's not "movie quiet" but still very good with subsonic rounds. Basically a 'clack' as the bolt cycles and then a pop as the round hits the target.

After getting a zero at 25m (to defend my pecan trees from squirrels and crows)--I did some distance shooting. These subsonic rounds really bloop out there on a ballistic curve so you've got to know your distance and hold over. Nice little Nikon scope designed for .22s but i think it's reticle is set for regular long rifle and not subsonics so it took me a while to figure out shooting out to 100m. Yes there is a tgt out there in this pic--and "no" the subsonic projectiles don't probably go more than 200m so i'm not worried about my neighbor that's about 2miles over that away.

I am going boating next week and plan on taking most, if not all of my firearms with me. But until then my pecan trees are mine and this we will defend!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That brings back some memories ...

When I was a kid, we had one neighbor's house between our house and a huge tract of woods. The squirrels would emerge from the woods and invade the neighbor's pecan trees (of which he was very proud). He paid me and encouraged me to go after any invaders with my little lever-action BB gun. Any squirrel so bold as to leave the safety of the forest and infiltrate the sancrosanct pecans soon had a hail of BBs zipping through the leaves around him, and occasionally finding their painful mark.
Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
That brings back some memories ...

When I was a kid, we had one neighbor's house between our house and a huge tract of woods. The squirrels would emerge from the woods and invade the neighbor's pecan trees (of which he was very proud). He paid me and encouraged me to go after any invaders with my little lever-action BB gun. Any squirrel so bold as to leave the safety of the forest and infiltrate the sancrosanct pecans soon had a hail of BBs zipping through the leaves around him, and occasionally finding their painful mark.

Last night, about 10:30-ish I am standing in our kitchen & hear a mouse in between the metal trash container and the oven. I quickly ran upstairs, grabbed the cat and told the 13-year old to grab his Red Rider. Upon pulling out the oven drawer out, the cat goes in and corners the mouse. Meanwhile, my son spots the mouse with a tactical flash light, while I take a disabling shot. The mouse runs back to where the cat is and a stand off starts between the two. My son takes the initiative and administers the coup de gras shot. Just another Saturday night and father-son bonding time in our house. Oh, and one mouse eliminated.
Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pellet rifle when I was a kid. Velocity was so low I could watch the pellets go. Still managed to get birds and chipmunks.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Last night, about 10:30-ish I am standing in our kitchen & hear a mouse in between the metal trash container and the oven. I quickly ran upstairs, grabbed the cat and told the 13-year old to grab his Red Rider. Upon pulling out the oven drawer out, the cat goes in and corners the mouse. Meanwhile, my son spots the mouse with a tactical flash light, while I take a disabling shot. The mouse runs back to where the cat is and a stand off starts between the two. My son takes the initiative and administers the coup de gras shot. Just another Saturday night and father-son bonding time in our house. Oh, and one mouse eliminated.

LOL! Another home invasion repelled by the armed homeowner! And the cat got a meal out of it, I hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you are in GA, but my Dad also owns a pecan orchard in the Hahira area. He lives in Valdosta and doesn't work it anymore since my stepmother passed away and he is now 86 YO. It is leased to an adjoining orchard owner. I still get all of the free pecans we can stand, though!

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pictures, while I know you are talking about your new .22 purchase, what popped out was the tractor with a simple pipe muffler and tin can cover. Reminds me of growing with an AC WD and WC. What's your tractor?
Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Nice pictures, while I know you are talking about your new .22 purchase, what popped out was the tractor with a simple pipe muffler and tin can cover. Reminds me of growing with an AC WD and WC. What's your tractor?

Ha! Good catch! And while we're at it (derailing Steve's thread), I want to know who the hell plays ping-pong with a badminton racket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously jealous. I hope they change the suppressor laws in the US soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great set up. I see that you are using Aguila. My Savage shot well with PMC moderator until they stopped producing it. Come to find out, Aguila loaded them. I have been using Aguila out of the Savage ever since, good stuff.

Get a B/A set up and throw the can on it, talking about quiet!
Quote Reply
Re: .22cal Goodness [dbautista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the best groups with Fiocchi and it seems to be a little hotter too, impacted a bit higher than CCI,, federal and Agula. Also out of a Savage.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply