Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airplane Stuff
Quote | Reply
Well i grew up sort of hating this airplane. The T-18. The Bucker came long after i was off in the wars.

Dad-"steven will you come out to the garage to help me with something....." I think i bucked every fking rivet on this plane and got critiqued along the way.

I have to say Dad I love you.

Fly

/r
Steven

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Just.. I mean, that's really cool.

Is that you and your father in the video? Did you/he build the Thorp?

Is it acrobatic-certified? High performance?

I made a few grass-strip landings between the trees like that - just a little scary (for a low-time pilot).

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: Nov 30, 17 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just awesome.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that was awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Huh,

I just realized that this thread is not what I thought it was...

Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dad retired to a aviation community below Columbia, SC. His hanger is attached to the house and he spends most of his day out in the hanger working on planes he refurbishes to support his hobby. He's a IA & A&P

Yes we built everything on the T-18 excepting a few things we could not fabricate ourselves such as the cowling which had complex compound curves we could not fabricate. That plane has a 180hp FI Lycoming and it is aerobatic although my Dad doesn't do much of that. He rebuilt the whole Bucker tearing it down to recable it; rebuilt the engine; and then recovered the fabric and metal and painted it somewhat the colors it wore when it was in the Austrian Luftwaffe.

I don't have a tenth of my Dad's mechanical skill but i learned a lot helping him along the way. Now that I'm retired and trying to learn some constructive skills besides blowing shit up he's helping me learn basic machine skills and welding. I've got a oxy acetylene gas welding rig and now he's teaching me electric welding.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

It's fortunate that you and your dad not only share a common passion, but that you're able to experience it together in retirement. Good for you both.

Have you read Rinker Buck's Flight of Passage?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not me in the embedded video with my Dad in the T-18. That's Ryan. He's on this board occasionally. A USN aviator--flies E2 Hawkeye's off carriers. He's got a website (you can see it on the youtube video) where he's trying to fly 52 different private aircraft in 52 weeks to promote civil aviation. My Dad enjoyed hosting him at his home/hanger over in SC.

I'm never really sure how many planes my Dad has as they seem to come and go. I *think* he's at four (maybe five) right now. I know he just did a complete rebuild of a Interstate Cadet which he intends to fly i gather until he crosses the finish line. He just hit 80yrs old so I think his plan is to surrender his general license and go with one of these "sport" licenses that doesn't require medical clearance and just fly the Cadet in his final years. Aside from my Mom, aircraft are his great passion so my brothers and i are very happy for him.

thanks for the interest

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I hope I'm still flying when I'm 80.
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [too.tall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to fly an interstate cadet - They look like a champ on steroids! Not many left as only like 1500 or so were built IIRC
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Stuff [Old97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a pic of the interstate cadet *i think--it may be someone elses airplane he was overhauling for fun/profit* i took when i was over there visiting. Pretty sure this is his Cadet.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread brings back great memories of my dad (passed away). He was private pilot and loved flying more than most anything. We couldn’t afford a plane so he volunteered at-a local parachute club. He flew for them on the weekends in exchange for some time in the plane. When all the kids were on our own, he knocked down the wall between my old bedroom and my brothers, and proceeded to build his own experimental airplane. Had to put a new door in the back of the house to get the parts out for final assembly. He then rented some land from the farmer behind our house and built his landing strip. He flew that little airplane for hours on end.

I vividly remember him taking me for my first ride. A piper cub, he let me “fly” it from the front seat. I was 8 at the time. Man was I on top of the world.
Quote Reply