Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maybe Berkeley's Tuition is Too High? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they weren't students they'd still apply. I have point this out; Wednesday afternoon my wife stopped to get the kids some taco bell. Only the drive through was open. There was a note on the door stating that not enough employees had shown up. Welcome to America, 2017.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Berkeley's Tuition is Too High? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
If they weren't students they'd still apply. I have point this out; Wednesday afternoon my wife stopped to get the kids some taco bell. Only the drive through was open. There was a note on the door stating that not enough employees had shown up. Welcome to America, 2017.

We have that problem as well on occasion. We take a lot of call-offs on certain days, such as the day before a major holiday. It stretches the ones who do show up really thin. We have all the discipline levels and we strictly hold them to the attendance policy, but a job that starts at $10.50 hourly ($11.50 if you work the midnight shift) isn't that valuable to a lot of them. Many of them don't care, because if they lose that job they'll just go out and find another one that pays the same. Or go on the dole. Either one is fine with them. It's sad.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, can you really blame them?

If taco Bell saw it as that big an issue, they (or that store/franchise/whatever) would pay more for more consistent employees. If employees can easily replace one shitty job they don't care about with another, there's really no reason for them to care.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItÂ’s just part of their coursework - surviving as a liberal in America. Only in California.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe Berkeley's Tuition is Too High? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Well, can you really blame them?

If taco Bell saw it as that big an issue, they (or that store/franchise/whatever) would pay more for more consistent employees. If employees can easily replace one shitty job they don't care about with another, there's really no reason for them to care.

I don't blame them. It's the jobs environment in which they live these days, so it's just sad. The jobs that they do used to be filled by people who were union, made about $21 hourly (in 2005, before those folks all were permanently laid off) and had gold-plated benefits, including a defined benefits pension, health insurance, and free space-available air travel. Naturally, those jobs were outsourced for a reason, just as many jobs in a wide variety of industries have been outsourced. It is what it is.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next