Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone have an induction range?
Quote | Reply
like to cook, not even close to any kind of professional. at. all.
at first was going to go with dual fuel but my wife went to france and our friends there had an induction range that she loved. i know most of the nuances, i think, of cooking with induction, the special pots and pans, etc.

1. anyone have one and learn something about induction you did not know before you bought? good and bad.
2. what range do you have and what do ya think?

buying appliances freaking sucks. it's not possible to find any sort of congruent reviews, which i guess is kind of purpose of reviews. we ran into the same prob when we had to replace our fridge and washer/dryer, it's just trying to pick the less bad one, nothing really gets consistent, good reviews.

thanks for any input.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: anyone have an induction range? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been curious in learning about these things too. My wife has been complaining for years about our flat-glass electric range being possibly dangerous for our cats....though in those years I don't think a cat has ever tried to walk across a hot range.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone have an induction range? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's pretty much a done deal, we're getting one. i'd like gas, i think it looks cool, i know for cooking pros gas it where it's at, but to run a gas line into the kitchen would be a bit of a chore. so with the money i'm not spending on having a new line put in i'm going to get a nicer convection range.

it seems like these are popular in europe more than here, why i have no idea. i'll keep ya updated if ya want.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a couple. They're awesome. The power more boils water in 30 seconds.

The slick ones heat pans anywhere on the surface.

Your pans may not be compatible even if they say they are

Also NEVER drop anything on it. My friends lasted less than a day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister has one and wishes she would have gotten a gas range instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used one and loved it.
currently remodeling our kitchen and putting in a 36in bosch.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: anyone have an induction range? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
My sister has one and wishes she would have gotten a gas range instead.

why?
is she an avid, or professional, chef?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, we did grow up using gas ranges at the lake but she also felt she had better heat control with gas and didn’t have to pick and choose which pots to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Bosch. No complaints as far as cooking. I can't stand electric and had gas in my last house. I don't find any cooking drawbacks. My one concern is the buttons are just sensors on the glass. Super easy to clean but hopefully they won't wear off from years of use. No signs of it yet but time will tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good article about the pros and cons, one thing I didn't see listed is cost of repair, blow a coil on a electric stove and simply replace it yourself blow an induction burner and it can be really expensive to replace, also they say the tops don't get hot or are safer, while they are safer you still need to be careful, if you use a good thick bottom pan to sear a steak you have to turn it up high and leave the pan on, the stove top will get very hot and can burn you. Other then that I like them, very precise, the ones I use have 10 settings and will boil 5 gallons of water in about 10 minutes or perfectly simmer a stock, can't beat that.

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.php
Last edited by: 50+: Nov 25, 17 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: anyone have an induction range? [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Here's a good article about the pros and cons, one thing I didn't see listed is cost of repair, blow a coil on a electric stove and simply replace it yourself blow an induction burner and it can be really expensive to replace, also they say the tops don't get hot or are safer, while they are safer you still need to be careful, if you use a good thick bottom pan to sear a steak you have to turn it up high and leave the pan on, the stove top will get very hot and can burn you. Other then that I like them, very precise, the ones I use have 10 settings and will boil 5 gallons of water in about 10 minutes or perfectly simmer a stock, can't beat that.

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.php

thx mucho, ive been to that site before, it has a lot of good info.

Quote:
Not really, we did grow up using gas ranges at the lake but she also felt she had better heat control with gas and didn’t have to pick and choose which pots to use.
we use a lot of cast iron so that wont be a problem for us. plus it gives me a reason to snag a couple carbon steel pieces that ive been wanting to try.

Quote:
My one concern is the buttons are just sensors on the glass. Super easy to clean but hopefully they won't wear off from years of use. No signs of it yet but time will tell. /quote]
i had that exact same concern, i wasn't wild about the all digital ones so i went with knobs for controlling the burners. or whatever theyre called on this thing. replacing a trashed panel would be more expensive than replacing a knob...i'm guessing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply