Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there are neighborhoods all over the country that have successfully absorbed Section 8 including my own. IÂ’d wager to bet the failure of those neighborhoods had very little to do with Section 8, but its a convenient storyline.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
SH wrote:
saltman wrote:
We have a section 8 home on our block, the lot alone is worth $700,000. Homes start at $1.3mm for gut rehab, up to $2.5mm for newer construction larger lot. The section 8 family is extremely nice, they work, attend our block parties and generally fit into the block. Honestly, its a shame I even know about it being section 8. We have 1 asshole neighbor that seems hellbent on making sure everyone else knows this. We hope the asshole moves soon.
I don't know much about section 8 homes. I thought, generally, section 8 applied more to apartment complexes than individual homes. Seems like you could subsidize a lot more people in apartments than families in $2M per home neighborhoods.
Section 8 housing is in nearly every neighborhood in America. Beverly Hills and adjacent has plenty of them being rented by all sort mostly by immigrants. If a homeowner had shitty tenants who were not paying rents and gave too much grief, it may be a better deal to join the program for solid payment monthly. Tenants can pay from 0%-90% of the market rate rents on the program so it is not always for extremely low income as many work and have fairly decent pay in jobs. High living costs may make them program recipients.
One of my properties is now a Section 8 house. I wanted to rent to a veteran which is why I joined the program. Had a bad experience with one and I am still trying to get aasssitance from the county but still wanted to help. I joined the city program, have a tenant who seems to be working out so far. If he causes problems I will go back to renting to the public and making a bit more money.

If I understand you correctly anybody can live in a home beyond thier means and the cost is subsidized by the state?

If indeed that’s the case, at best this discourages savings and home ownership. Much worse, this contributes to the growing wealth gap. After all, why save for your own home and build wealth if you can live in a nice place and not have pay “the real cost”.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
travelmama wrote:
SH wrote:
saltman wrote:
We have a section 8 home on our block, the lot alone is worth $700,000. Homes start at $1.3mm for gut rehab, up to $2.5mm for newer construction larger lot. The section 8 family is extremely nice, they work, attend our block parties and generally fit into the block. Honestly, its a shame I even know about it being section 8. We have 1 asshole neighbor that seems hellbent on making sure everyone else knows this. We hope the asshole moves soon.
I don't know much about section 8 homes. I thought, generally, section 8 applied more to apartment complexes than individual homes. Seems like you could subsidize a lot more people in apartments than families in $2M per home neighborhoods.
Section 8 housing is in nearly every neighborhood in America. Beverly Hills and adjacent has plenty of them being rented by all sort mostly by immigrants. If a homeowner had shitty tenants who were not paying rents and gave too much grief, it may be a better deal to join the program for solid payment monthly. Tenants can pay from 0%-90% of the market rate rents on the program so it is not always for extremely low income as many work and have fairly decent pay in jobs. High living costs may make them program recipients.
One of my properties is now a Section 8 house. I wanted to rent to a veteran which is why I joined the program. Had a bad experience with one and I am still trying to get aasssitance from the county but still wanted to help. I joined the city program, have a tenant who seems to be working out so far. If he causes problems I will go back to renting to the public and making a bit more money.

If I understand you correctly anybody can live in a home beyond thier means and the cost is subsidized by the state?

If indeed that’s the case, at best this discourages savings and home ownership. Much worse, this contributes to the growing wealth gap. After all, why save for your own home and build wealth if you can live in a nice place and not have pay “the real cost”.
Not anyone. Most depends on the need for housing and what the owner is willing to accept. A single person certainly would not receive a voucher for $4000. Depending on the conditions and situation of cases, some can stay on the program for many years but most are limited to a just a year or so.

Quote | Reply
Glad it worked out for you. All it did was destroy affordable middle class neighborhoods in northeast Philly. No one wants to live next to criminals that openly sell drugs and throw their trash all over the place. So the good people leave while their property values haven’t tanked yet. And more trash fills the void. Soon his city will have to tax the air we breathe to stay afloat, they already tax “sugary drinks” which means everything but water and the sales tax is 2% higher than outside the city. I can’t wait to get the hell out of here.
I have a retired friend that lives in one of these neighborhoods and is dealing with the section 8 scumbags. He has bars on his windows now and canÂ’t leave his car outside. He canÂ’t afford to leave either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you are confusing the cause and effect. I don't have the time or desire search the internet to prove the point. Even if I found evidence you wouldn't believe it, but my suspicion is section 8 came (at least in larger numbers) into the neighborhood after it began deteriorating.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
I suspect you are confusing the cause and effect. I don't have the time or desire search the internet to prove the point. Even if I found evidence you wouldn't believe it, but my suspicion is section 8 came (at least in larger numbers) into the neighborhood after it began deteriorating.

I'll take that wager. Please make sure your research looks at Illinois towns, especially suburban and downstate, after an influx of Section 8 housing paying special attention to drug and violent crime rates.
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meant to say cause and correlation, but it wouldn't matter what "evidence" is presented. It would be fake news on this board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Glad it worked out for you. All it did was destroy affordable middle class neighborhoods in northeast Philly. No one wants to live next to criminals that openly sell drugs and throw their trash all over the place. So the good people leave while their property values haven’t tanked yet. And more trash fills the void. Soon his city will have to tax the air we breathe to stay afloat, they already tax “sugary drinks” which means everything but water and the sales tax is 2% higher than outside the city. I can’t wait to get the hell out of here.
I have a retired friend that lives in one of these neighborhoods and is dealing with the section 8 scumbags. He has bars on his windows now and canÂ’t leave his car outside. He canÂ’t afford to leave either.

We've got section 8 housing here in North Texas, and we don't have these issues with it. It certainly doesn't drive up property values in surrounding areas, but I don't know anyone dying to get out either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
IÂ’ve been watching really nice affordable neighborhoods go to complete shit the last 20 years because of Section 8.

Maybe it was implemented poorly in the neighborhoods you're talking about. The idea of having huge blocks of "projects" died decades ago. Now, at least in my area, Section 8 is intermixed as a relatively low % of units in regular housing. I don't think you'd be able to identify the condo/apartment complexes that contain some Section 8 units as any different than any other. And landlords have broad discretion over renting (as you can read by the one in this thread who tried out several).
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More likely what happened is that the economy took a nosedive. Those middle class neighborhoods were largely populated by white blue collar workers. Those jobs went away, the local housing market began to dip, families migrated out of urban areas and the decline was well underway. Once this decline began section 8 housing took roots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
IÂ’ve been watching really nice affordable neighborhoods go to complete shit the last 20 years because of Section 8.

Maybe it was implemented poorly in the neighborhoods you're talking about. The idea of having huge blocks of "projects" died decades ago. Now, at least in my area, Section 8 is intermixed as a relatively low % of units in regular housing. I don't think you'd be able to identify the condo/apartment complexes that contain some Section 8 units as any different than any other. And landlords have broad discretion over renting (as you can read by the one in this thread who tried out several).

I have no problem whatsoever pointing the section 8 units around here. ItÂ’s usually pretty obvious which ones are which.

We were actually approached by the city housing authority to covert our vacation rental (that the city housing authority shut down our ability to do a vacation rental) to section 8 housing.

One of the stated reasons they shut down our vacation rental was “fear of neighborhood deterioration” and then they have the nerve to pressure us into accepting section 8 tenants when it’s very clear that section 8 is ruining the neighborhoods that they are in.

I told them to fuck off.

“Fuck off” were my exact words.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: 4000sq ft house. Rent paid with welfare $ [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I told them to fuck off.

“Fuck off” were my exact words.

Ermagerd! You used profanity on someone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next