Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table?
Quote | Reply
   This poll was mentioned on NPR yesterday, apparently pubs are much more happy to talk about Trump (find conversation "interesting and informative") than dems (more likely find it "stressful and frustrating"). So who's up for Trump and Turkey?

-
When you talk about politics with people who have a different opinion of Donald Trump than you do, would you say you generally find it:

In the Marist survey this month, 43 percent of people said they find it "interesting and informative" to engage with people who have different views of Trump. Not surprisingly, it's Democrats who are less likely to want to engage with people who have different views of the president.

About two-thirds of Democrats said it's stressful and frustrating to do so, while a majority of Republicans said it was "interesting and informative."

A slight plurality — 47 percent — of independents also thought engaging with differing viewpoints was positive, while 44 percent found it to be a negative thing.
-
https://www.npr.org/...anksgiving-this-year

-
ps I think what they missed was the 90+% of Canadians who cannot wait to talk Trump. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll always dialogue policy and issues with those willing to engage in actual discussion, but I draw the line when it begins to turn into a “you must believe exactly as I do” bullying fest. Trump isn’t 100% terrible or Hitler, but he’s certainly not the leader his ardent & hardened supporters claim he is, not the dictator his ardent detractors claim.

For example, my dad is religiously fundamentalist. Notice I don’t say “orthodox,” because his beliefs are the Westernized ones of American Christianity from the last 150 years. I’m inclined to look for purpose and meaning, not taking religion as a battle ground to prove what’s “real” or not, like young earth creationism; I don’t care if there’s a god or not, but look for what the old stories meant to the people who passed them down. He’s insistent that I believe like him or risk Hell, getting heated and completely unwilling to consider the actual history of the texts, the inconsistent manuscripts, additions to what’s known as the Bible, political motivations, narrow interpretations that disconsoder the culture & history of the time, etc. His response is just “Nope, it’s never been changed,” not willing to look at the facts.

For him and others, considering the other side of the prism is an affront to their long-held beliefs, a sacrifice of their sacred cow. Then it gets defensive and heated, which I won’t engage in. Dialogue is where it’s at, so the moment it’s not dialogue I’m bowing out.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Nov 22, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Trump isn’t 100% terrible or Hitler...

You are now officially a Trump ball washer.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one supports Trump at our table. My brother is a conservative who can't stand him. There will be a few snide comments, but then we ignore him, because it is .... Thanksgiving.

Outside of here, I handful of cousins and friends are the only ones who can abide him.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Nov 22, 17 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what they missed was the 90+% of Canadians who cannot wait to talk Trump. ;)

Fake news.

I don't know a single Canadian who has good things to say about Trump so I'd put it more around 98%.

P.S - We already had our Thanksgiving and when Trump's name came up some of us had a chuckle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If politics comes up at my table, I'll be dispensing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43UzWI3-ck
Last edited by: DJRed: Nov 22, 17 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]I’ll always dialogue[/quote]

You lost me after that

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Nov 22, 17 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most people are lost these days when it comes to actual dialogue and discussion. The idea of debate with most people has turned into ill-informed people trying to tout their agenda by hiding their lack of knowledge through their puffed chests and loud voices. Not that I’m immune from it, but for the majority now it’s their default and sole method of communication & it sucks.

Leddy wrote:
[quote]I’ll always dialogue

You lost me after that

[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they Schweddy?

Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Trump isn’t 100% terrible or Hitler...

You are now officially a Trump ball washer.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring up Trump at Thanksgiving Table? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
If politics comes up at my table, I'll be dispensing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43UzWI3-ck

I am pretty sure that I would rather spend all of thanksgiving with Trump than 5 minutes with Gutfeld.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply