Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter
Quote | Reply

And here's another one...

" Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called “the Lasseter” to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs. A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago.

“She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh,” he says. “The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around.” After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. “She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn’t have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have travelled.”

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, “We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?”

Another former insider remembers awkward encounters with Lasseter, who liked — as many in the industry do — to hug in meetings. “You’d hug him and he’s whisper in your ear, a long time,” this person says. “He hugged and hugged and everyone’s looking at you. Just invading the space.” "

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...xar-insiders-1059594
Quote Reply
Re: Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is kind of a side note here, but I lived in South America for 6 years back in the 90's. One of the good things about that culture was that it was very homogenous, and everyone knew exactly how greetings where to take place. Every woman I met, whether old or young, sexy or gross, received a kiss on the cheek. It seemed like a great way, to me, to distinguish that a.) women are not men, and b.) you can't do just whatever the F you want.

I don't want this to be seen as minimizing the whole hand up the thigh thing. However, I don't like it when articles vaguely describe what could be normal greeting etiquet as sexual harassment -- precisely because we don't live in a homogenous culture, and people don't just know what the writer is or is not describing.
Last edited by: SH: Nov 21, 17 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're a little off base here. Social greetings in almost all cultures are fairly well understood. I don't think S America has any kind of monopoly on understanding what constitutes an appropriate greeting in a business or social setting.

So it is clear to virtually everyone where the lines of appropriate behaviour are drawn. Some seedy men may think a casual grope or feel is harmless enough, and maybe some recipients of said grope don't mind. Duffy has friends like this, which is honestly fine, as long as they truly don't mind, and are not just less comfortable telling him so than accepting his ass grabs.

But be very clear, once the line is crossed, it's crossed. Now beyond the line clearly some things are worse than others. Some things constitute a crime. What thus particular guy was doing may not have been a crime, but it was also very clearly well beyond a cultural misunderstanding of how greetings should take place. A hand creeping up a female leg during a business meeting carries NO misunderstanding! He knows it, and always has. His apology is weak-assed in the extreme, making out like maybe he was just too much of a hugger. B.S. He's just another abusive pig.
Quote Reply
Re: Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Duffer... this one's another Hollywood exec so no doubt another hypocritic Dem. Make note!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I think you're a little off base here. Social greetings in almost all cultures are fairly well understood. I don't think S America has any kind of monopoly on understanding what constitutes an appropriate greeting in a business or social setting.

How much time have you spent in South America?

Edit: In fact how much time do you have living outside of the United States in order to contrast it with anything?
Last edited by: SH: Nov 21, 17 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Hey Duffer... this one's another Hollywood exec so no doubt another hypocritic Dem. Make note!!

Why should I even mention it at this point?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Edit: In fact how much time do you have living outside of the United States in order to contrast it with anything?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I spent a fair amount of time in Ecuador and I certainly wouldn't hold them up as examples of how to treat women. They are a very male dominated country and in countries that are paternalistic and where there are a lot of poor people, the incidences of inappropriate behavior between men of power and women from the lower classes, is typically very high.

I don't think how you greet people is really a good reflection on how things work. Most of the inappropriate behavior, which is consistent around the world, would be men of power taking advantage of either poor women or career-oriented women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Of my 47 years I've lived in the US for 17. I've lived in ...

Bahamas
UK
Australia
HK

I travel regularly (2-3 times a year) to South America. In the last 12 months I've been to Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Chile, all more than once. Mexico too, but that's N. America.

I have travelled to:
Japan, New Zealand, China, Singapore, Taiwan, S. Korea, Thailand, much of Europe (too many to name) and parts of Africa. Oh, Iceland and Canada too.

I may have missed a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He apologized to "anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape or form."

That's general enough to cover everyone without actually taking responsibility for anything. That's an excellent apology (cough*legal work*cough). Combine that with his leave of absence to "reflect on how to move forward from here (cough*how to let this die so I can go back to work*cough).

And of course Disney jumped all over this and said "we appreciate John's candor and sincere apology and fully support his sabbatical," (cough *time off so he can come back and make us more money*cough).

Nothing more to see here folks, just move right along now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Bahamas
UK
Australia
HK

I travel regularly (2-3 times a year) to South America. In the last 12 months I've been to Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Chile, all more than once. Mexico too, but that's N. America.

I have travelled to:
Japan, New Zealand, China, Singapore, Taiwan, S. Korea, Thailand, much of Europe (too many to name) and parts of Africa. Oh, Iceland and Canada too.

I may have missed a few.

Well, most of your time has been in an English culture/colony, so I'm not surprised. They are known for being standoffish with regards to greetings and social coldness in general. Meanwhile, here in the United States we appropriately have this kind of humor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zruVyvDWKs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Another former insider remembers awkward encounters with Lasseter, who liked — as many in the industry do — to hug in meetings. “You’d hug him and he’s whisper in your ear, a long time,” this person says. “He hugged and hugged and everyone’s looking at you. Just invading the space.”

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Sanuk: Nov 21, 17 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Bahamas
UK
Australia
HK

I have travelled to:

I may have missed a few.

Well, most of your time has been in an English culture/colony, so I'm not surprised. They are known for being standoffish with regards to greetings and social coldness in general. Meanwhile, here in the United States we appropriately have this kind of humor...

Well my job is covering Latin America as an analyst, and I've been doing it for over 15 years, so I'm pretty sure I've had a good taste of Latin culture. I lost count of how many times I've visited Brazil and Mexico a long time ago.

But I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make. This guy at Disney/Pixar was clearly doing much more than just hugging a bit too much when he greeted people. Maybe you can clarify what it is you're trying to say, and how the cultural differences you're referring to may apply. I know that some Colombians can be quite tactile, having worked with one of the opposite sex for 7 years, but I don't think Mr Lasseter can use this as a defense. I also know that Colombians are well aware of what constitutes being inappropriately 'handsy' in a greeting or otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Next groper... Disney/Pixar exec Lasseter [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Bahamas
UK
Australia
HK

I have travelled to:

I may have missed a few.

Well my job is covering Latin America as an analyst, and I've been doing it for over 15 years, so I'm pretty sure I've had a good taste of Latin culture. I lost count of how many times I've visited Brazil and Mexico a long time ago.

But I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make. This guy at Disney/Pixar was clearly doing much more than just hugging a bit too much when he greeted people. Maybe you can clarify what it is you're trying to say, and how the cultural differences you're referring to may apply. I know that some Colombians can be quite tactile, having worked with one of the opposite sex for 7 years, but I don't think Mr Lasseter can use this as a defense. I also know that Colombians are well aware of what constitutes being inappropriately 'handsy' in a greeting or otherwise.

Just read what I wrote. I never mentioned what Mr Lasseter can and cannot use as a defense. If you and I had any common ground on this -- despite all our years living all over the world -- you'd have answered differently from the get go. Acting like the smorgasbord of greeting options used in the US is normal for the world just depends on how you've experienced it, I guess. I'm no longer interested in convincing you otherwise. Cultural differences are difficult enough to convey in conversation one on one. Writing about them to someone mostly concerned about being right about some other issue is probably a waste of time.
Quote Reply