Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jacob Thompson
Quote | Reply
For those of you holding out hope I'm sorry to say he's gone:

Jacob Thompson, 9, passed away after a battle with neuroblastoma. He had an early Christmas celebration and received over 40,000 Christmas cards from people all over the world.

Damn. I can handle a lot of things but this kind of sadness really cuts to the core. We got him a penguin card, his favorite animal. I doubt he ever saw it, but I hope he did and it that it brought a little happiness to him before he died. Life isn't fair.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Thompson [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my close friends has a 26 month old daughter who's going through treatment for neuroblastoma. It was a sobering call when we got it, a group of us were hanging out, he called to be put on speaker and tell us all the news. Fortunately, she's doing well, but it's 5 years of follow up after treatment is over before being declared cured, and probably a nerve wracking thing with every illness, every doctor's visit, every scan until that all-clear is given. A little boy the same age as my son was hit by a car about a mile from my house, right in front of my son's elementary school, and I drive by the makeshift memorial to him several times a week; I have to look away or distract myself, or I tear up. I cannot imagine going through it as a parent and the worst case of losing a kid or being totally powerless against that possibility with an illness. It's just one of those things that I'll never grasp, hopefully never experience, but will also never be able to think about without a lump in my throat.

Cool of you and others to send a card to at least let him and the family know that they're not without people who care. All we can do is hug our kids tight and remember that there's nothing that's actually more important than them knowing they're loved.

jkca1 wrote:
For those of you holding out hope I'm sorry to say he's gone:

Jacob Thompson, 9, passed away after a battle with neuroblastoma. He had an early Christmas celebration and received over 40,000 Christmas cards from people all over the world.

Damn. I can handle a lot of things but this kind of sadness really cuts to the core. We got him a penguin card, his favorite animal. I doubt he ever saw it, but I hope he did and it that it brought a little happiness to him before he died. Life isn't fair.
Quote Reply