Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FBI: US Homicide Rate Lowest Since 1963 [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
So the USA murder rate is down a little. It is still double the rate of similar western countries.

I don't think that you should use a slight decrease to push your anti gun control / anti immigration agenda.

Well, there is the inconvenient fact that the US murder rate has *always* been higher than that of Western Europe, regardless of gun control measures. So making the argument that we should pursue gun control to lower our murder rate to that of Western Europe doesn’t really hold water.

Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
torrey wrote:
You propose that the left uses fear to argue gun control, but I hear the same argument on this argument all the time for less gun control.

"If we outlaw guns then the only people with guns will be outlaws"

Both sides spin the statistics to support their message.

My message about guns is simple: they're a civil right enumerated in our Constitution and can't be taken away from us. It's kind of an absolutist view about those rights listed in the Bill of Rights, but the proper one nonetheless.

As far as the argument that the Founders didn't envision the kind of gun technologies we see today, I don't think that's correct either. Anyone ever heard of the Puckle gun of 1718?

The Puckle Gun was patented by London lawyer, inventor and author James Puckle in 1718. It was officially titled the Defence Gun and was a flintlock weapon with a revolver-like rotating cylinder of six to eleven shots.

There were several kinds of automatic and semi-automatic long guns available by the Founders' era and many of them no doubt knew of them and even utilized them.

So with your "absolutist" view of your rights, why restrict gun rights at all? why not allow automatic weapons? Grenade launchers? Clearly there should be no restrictions. Thin end of the wedge blah blah blah....

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply

Prev Next