Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Angela "Mutti" Merkel's 4th Term in Doubt: Coalition Talks Fail in Germany
Quote | Reply
German Chanceller Angela Merkel's odds of remaining the country's leader diminished today as talks to form a three-way coalition consisting of Merkel's party -- the Christian Democratic Union of Germany -- the pro-business Free Democrats, and the environmentalist Green Party fell apart after negotiators cited a lack of common ground among the three. This is my shocked face. ;-)

"Efforts to form a three-way coalition government have failed, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday, pitching Germany into its worse political crisis for decades, raising the prospect of new elections and casting doubt over her future.

With German leadership seen as crucial for a European Union grappling with governance reform and Britain’s impending exit, FDP leader Christian Lindner’s announcement that he was pulling out spooked investors and sent the euro falling.

A tired-looking Merkel said she would stay on as acting chancellor and consult President Frank-Walter Steinmeier on how to move forward. A deal had been within reach, she said.

With the Social Democrats (SPD) sticking on Monday to their pledge after losses in a September election not to go back into a Merkel-led “grand coalition” of center-left and center-right, the most likely option looked to be new elections."

Merkel fourth term in doubt as German coalition talks fail

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Angela "Mutti" Merkel's 4th Term in Doubt: Coalition Talks Fail in Germany [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was never a big fan but that wasn't my call since I'm not a German. But she had a long run, so maybe its time for her to pack it in.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela "Mutti" Merkel's 4th Term in Doubt: Coalition Talks Fail in Germany [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Was never a big fan but that wasn't my call since I'm not a German. But she had a long run, so maybe its time for her to pack it in.

The Social Democrats (center-left) are the mischief makers in all this. They're still refusing to form another coalition government with Merkel and her Christian Democrats. My guess is they'll welcome new elections and hope Germans, this time around, will throw up their hands and give them more seats in the Bundestag, so that they're the major player and can form a coalition with the Greens and other center-left/left parties, maybe?

Like you, I'm not German and I don't follow their doings thoroughly (though I work the local Lufthansa folks daily hahahahaha!), but I can't see the Social Democrats jumping into bed with the Free Democrats and certainly not with the farther-right parties, some of whom are quite frankly scary. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply