Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey, babe. [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should get out of your cave, sometime.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy was trying to save her $300 and is crucified because the may or may not have put the wrong emphasis on a word.

This is way past where the whole thing gets ridiculous.

You think being told ā€œdonā€™t call me babeā€ is being crucified??? Talk about overblown reaction.

No, he's not being crucified by her response, he's being crucified on social media for using the term "babe" despite trying to help her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
getcereal wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
getcereal wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
What kind of an idiot calls a woman he does not know "babe"?

They kind of dude that would actually take a little time to help someone from getting a $300.00 fine (that could potentially ruin their day or more)?

Most people probably would've saw the lady parking there, and just said to themselves dumb- ass and moved on. If she was hot other women prabably would of laughed a little and than moved on.
A typical city guy would've just moved on knowing it is always easier to not get involved.

So what would he get to call her if he potentially saved her $10,000?

For most people I imagine you could call them anything you want. If you could save them from a $10,000 fine.

What could i possibly say to you, that you would rather take the fine?

Example if some dude came up to me as I approached my car and said: "Hey Dick head don't drive! The cops saw you drink a few beers and are waiting around the corner for you." I could give a shit what he called me I would thank him and heed the warning.

I think this is really the crux of this issue - men tend to view women as objects - if I save her $300 I can call her ā€˜babeā€™ and she has to take it, buy her dinner and she should put out, etc.

Everyone has a price...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Totally ironic
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like be called dude or pal or brother or bud...I was on a business call two days ago and the person said 'bud' a few times. Living in SoCal, I get dude quite a bit. A business colleague in my past company often referred to me as brother when we spoke. I don't like it.

But, you know, I've never thought for one second to lash out about it or correct someone. Both men and women have said it to me. In the great scheme, I can't see how it's worth it particularly when it's obvious they don't mean to be insulting. Makes me laugh this lady lashed out about it given it's a stranger she most likely will never see again.

I was on a call a few months ago with a group of people and one of my colleagues kept saying 'man-months' and used 'him'...at one point a woman on the phone cut him off and asked him to be gender neutral or she'll hang up on him. We had roughly 8 people on the call. I thought it was rude, she could've made the point in private or via email for that matter. Must require a lot of energy to walk around everyday dealing with people.

I grew up with three older sisters (all two yrs apart) so I'm more conditioned on this topic than most. I'm married with two daughters and none of them would take offense to the point of confronting someone. Not that they would appreciate being called babe - my younger daughter particularly hates 'chick' but wouldn't take the time and energy to be confrontational about it.

In this example I could see the guy confronting another guy using 'Yo dumbass' or 'Hey moron'...I doubt it would get a reaction other than thanks.

Human nature causes us to escalate when we don't get an expected response. Ever watch two people in a discussion where one did something wrong, apologized, the person doesn't readily accept the apology then it escalates like:

"hey, I'm really sorry about that"
"well, you should know better"
"yeah, like I said, I'm sorry"
"I hope you don't always do that, it's damn rude"
"HEY - I said I'm sorry, so whatever"
"Don't shout at me! Your an asshole and totally in the wrong"
"Fuck off, I apologized you asswipe, what do you want from me?!"
...goes downhill from there

We are a rather pathetic species in many ways.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hey Babe, you can't park there. It's a $300 ticket."

"Don't call me Babe."

"Oh, I'm sorry Ma'am, I didn't mean to offend you."

"Ma'am!?! Do I look 40?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Miss, I still wasn't trying to offend you."

"Miss!?!?! Can't you see the ring on my finger?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Ms. I was just trying to help you avoid a ticket."

"For your information, I don't believe in binary genders. My pronouns are they and them!"

"Uh, um. Sorry."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
NormM wrote:
Was it Dennis DeYoung?

Okay, I've not read through the entire thread but this is made me laugh out loud.

Well done, NormM, well done!

Okay, I just now get this. I knew that name seemed familiar, but it didn't strike me that it was because he was lead singer of Styx until you posted. Agree with you - well done NormM.

I'm skimming through all the posts thinking, "This thread needs some Styx" and I see this.

Well played indeed, NormM.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I've had lots of people say things in a condescending manner but not when they are trying to save me from getting a $300 fine.
It's okay not to get enraged about every perceived injustice.

To me it's just proof that people are looking way too hard to find something to get upset about. There are enough real victims, we don't need any more people who "feel" they were victimized because someone may or may not have meant words in a certain way.

I have had people say completely ignorant things to me in this exact type of situation.

I don't think this incident is anything new. I have a sister who is in her 50's and remember her calling people out for saying things like "babe" years ago. She would have most likely responded along the lines of , "really? babe" maybe with a thank you. Or have just as easily thanked him and called him "chief"

"victimized " = yes I can finally say #metoo. I see this more as a misunderstanding between two people who clearly viewed the other as a jerk. Well with the exception of the guy saying he would have kicked her ass if she were a man. That just took the silly situation to another level.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

Totally ironic

No really. If you believe the garbage you wrote then you have never been outside your own safe space.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
"Hey Babe, you can't park there. It's a $300 ticket."

"Don't call me Babe."

"Oh, I'm sorry Ma'am, I didn't mean to offend you."

"Ma'am!?! Do I look 40?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Miss, I still wasn't trying to offend you."

"Miss!?!?! Can't you see the ring on my finger?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Ms. I was just trying to help you avoid a ticket."

"For your information, I don't believe in binary genders. My pronouns are they and them!"

"Uh, um. Sorry."

Year later.

"Whahhhhhhhhh- The world is full of assholes, Nobody ever talks to me or wants to hang out with me."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey, babe. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe she wasn't offended by the word babe at all. Maybe she was offended that he assumed her gender identity.

We used to live in a society where people were given the benefit of the doubt and could understand basic social interaction. Now we are surrounded by people looking to be victims. I wouldn't have offered to fight her, but likely would have told her where she could go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next