Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords?
Quote | Reply
For those maintaining separate email accounts from your spouse/significant other, let fly your positions on the shared password question and related tales of joy or woe, here.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coz doing some fucked up co-dependent account by combining your names is fucking stupid.

I don't need to be having DH reading private conversations about menopause (used to be our periods) with my bestie way out of state.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know in almost every couple with a shared FB account, at least one of them got caught cheating.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly they wanted to
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't "share" but my wife knows passwords and cam access my phone and my email is always open on all devices.

I have never read or searched her email routinely. I have on perhaps a couple of occasions opened emails related to joint items - specifically our rentals but that might be twice in a decade or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely log out of email and neither does my wife, but regardless, I don't see why anyone would share their passwords because neither of us gives a shit about 99% of each other's emails. For that 1% we forward the email. Do some couples have shared email accounts? That seems unworkable. We both use our work email addresses for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we don't expressly share our passwords, our phones have the same access code on them and we routinely use each other's phones / email / facebook accounts merely by accessing the other's phones. If one is busy / driving, the other routinely checks any notifications that might pop up on the other's device for anything time sensitive.

edit: Apparently I routinely over use the word routinely.
Last edited by: MOP_Roy: Nov 8, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No we don't share passwords. But we do know how to unlock each others phones and also our tablets give access to each others emails (if we want to see them). I have no interest in reading them and neither does my wife.

My wife did once on my tablet open up my Google Keep app and started to leave me some random notes. It took me some time to find it though as at that time I didn't use it as consistently as I do now.

I have been contemplating using my wife's facebook account only to access the groups that deal in bike parts classifieds. Only because I don't have an account myself. Wife is ok with that but I still can't get myself to use her facebook account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never snooped on my wife's computer or phone. To my knowledge she has never snooped on mine. We have our own smart phones and laptops. I think she knows my password but to be honest it never comes up.

Couples with shared email? You know email addresses are free, right? Why on Earth would I share one?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I rarely log out of email and neither does my wife, but regardless, I don't see why anyone would share their passwords because neither of us gives a shit about 99% of each other's emails. For that 1% we forward the email. Do some couples have shared email accounts? That seems unworkable. We both use our work email addresses for everything.

Pretty much the same here, though I keep my work email strictly limited to work stuff, have a primary personal email, and then a second 'commercial transaction' email that I use for online purchases and such because it acts as a sort of spam filter.

We had a shared email address for some wedding preparation stuff but never use it any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the "IT guy" in the family, I know most of her passwords. We have separate accounts for everything, though. However, because I'm old and my memory is clearly gone...my passwords are mostly the same as her passwords. So, while we don't intentionally "share", its effectively that way. the only accounts that are NOT that way are ones where we were "forced" (due to a breach or something) to change and are now divergent.

We resynchronize these infrequently....again because I'm the old, forgetful, IT guy.

We've been married for 26 years, and started dating almost 30 years ago. We are waaaay past "secrets"---except that we don't watch each other use the toilet, and I'm okay with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We share, kind of. I know I can access her and she mine if we wanted too. Don't have anything to hide except during Christmas, anniversary, and birthday shopping seasons.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I have a high level of trust so we know each others password to pretty much all accounts except for Ashley Madison.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Nov 8, 17 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't share passwords per se, but we do have a joint gmail account, apart from our individual work emails. It started out as a simpler way to connect w/ family and school info, etc; she set it up at first, and then I started using it too to communicate w/ kids' teachers and so forth, or setting up swim team carpools (this dates back to before everyone had smartphones and uses texts for that sort of thing nowadays). It's gotten to the point where I get annoyed w/ all the useless crap she gets from her side of the fam along w/ various spam when she signs up for something such as a one-time purchase and then won't take the time to get off their mailing list, but after evolving this way over several years it's kinda weird in that it would feel like a snub to 'divorce' myself from our shared account and invite suspicion that I was using a new one for nefarious purposes (which in fairness, just maybe could end up being true...).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That made me spit my tea. I don't have my wife's passwords but she tends to do that auto sign in thing so I don't even need them to read her emails. I do all the financial stuff and keep those passwords in a safe. Along with the Ashley Madisons. It probably is a good idea to have them written down somewhere in case you die or are incapacitated.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the same password for all our accounts. It makes life a lot simpler.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I keep separate accounts. You can't have two people managing a single account IMO. I would imagine that we have low grade levels of snooping. We leave our accounts open on the computer often. I wouldn't be surprised if she looks at mine here and there if the opportunity presents itself. I have checked out the titles of her most recent emails every blue moon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got no secrets, period.

Re: Do you and your spouse/significant other share email passwords? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I got no secrets, period.

This.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR0510 wrote:
For those maintaining separate email accounts from your spouse/significant other, let fly your positions on the shared password question and related tales of joy or woe, here.

If you have to read your wife's emails and she feels the same need to read yours then you have a serious trust problem in your relationship. But to answer the question, no we don't share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Email and FB we can both get into each other's accounts. I don't share my password for ST or other forums I post on though.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My password is stored on my home computer and it's needed on both our cell phones to buy anything from Google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR0510 wrote:

nope, we use our own.
Quote Reply