Prev Next
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are most replacement heart valves.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [timmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Wrestling #2 was my favorite on the old Georgia Championship Wrestling. He had his high knee lift. Loved the guy.

A guy here in my firm used to represent a couple old wrestlers. He has the last kindo stick that Tojo Yamamoto carried to a ring (as a manager because sadly he was very sick at the time).

Coming back from Hilton Head summer of 2016, we stopped in Huntington W Va at a Marathon station for gas and to stretch our legs. I was walking around our then 1 yr old daughter, and this older guy walks up and comments about how he loved her red hair. Really cut dude, Harvard Wrestling t-shirt on. He says he's in town for a show and we should come see it tonight. Hands me his card. Bob Backlund. I freak out. Didn't recognize him. I started babbling about the cage match with Superfly in the Garden. He just laughed. Took a great pic with me and Lucy. Nice guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just watched the Undertaker vs. Mankind. Holyhell... Nothing fake about that. I am surprised Mankind lived let alone finished the match. The thumbtacks at the end were a nice icing on the pain cake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Seriously...

Go watch Mankind vs. Undertaker hell in a cell. They were going all out.

Watch the Rock hit Mick Foley with 12 chair shots to the head (sending him for real to the hospital). The Rock was going all out (also he's an asshole for doing that then not even visiting him in the hospital).

It was 11, stop exaggerating.
Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw an out of character interview with Undertaker once. He described all the shit that went down. Foley broke his collarbone when he went through the table.

Wouldn’t stop the match though. Said it was the main event. Couldn’t send the fans home unhappy.

At the end of the match, if you look closely, you can see that Foley has one of his own teeth in his nose.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Wrestling outcomes are predetermined. If you think it's fake then you are completely ignorant of the hell they put their bodies through.

Go google Mankind vs. Undertaker Hell in a cell. Watch the entire match and then try to tell me how fake that was.

Don't tell me you're a WWE fan? Most of us gave up watching wrestling after grade school. Yes they do sustain injuries. Why else would so many of them die in their 40/50's with pain killer/steroid issues. But to answer your question, wrestling is "fake" in as much as that the bouts are all predetermined as you just stated. Athleticism it is, but a genuine competition it isn't.
Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years back, a buddy of mine walked into a 7-11 in Charlotte, NC and noticed a large group of people making a lot of noise in the back corner. Turns out Ric Flair was back there and anytime somebody would yell "Whoooooooo" he would yell "Whoooooooo" back.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Athleticism it is, but a genuine competition it isn't.

They're professional athletes performing for our entertainment, so it's sort of a moot point.

If you think they're not competing out there, you're not giving it much thought. How long is the average professional wrestler's career, at that level, would you guess?

Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

They're professional athletes performing for our entertainment, so it's sort of a moot point.

If you think they're not competing out there, you're not giving it much thought. How long is the average professional wrestler's career, at that level, would you guess?

I liked the part where they interviewed Hulk Hogan who basically said he didn't come close to doing the things Ric Flair has done. Hulk never wrestled a 60 minute match but Ric wrestled them all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Wow. I mean, that's hard living just with the rigors of the job. Then there's travel, lifestyle, and all that goes with it. Amazing that he's held up as well as he has.

Ricky Steamboat must be an android. He looks like he's been selling luxury cars in Miami for the last 20 years.

Interesting how they never once mentioned pain. The guy self-medicated daily, for decades, and they never touched on it.

Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP is responding to you as if you just told him Santa does not exist.

Just kidding about Santa, BLeP, don't go postal on me.
Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

They usually have relatively short careers and do so with no pension plans or other benefits. They also tend to die fairly young. Just google "dead wrestler list" if you have any doubts. But it is not a competition sport in the true sense of the word so they are not competing, they are performing. You can same the same thing about ballet dancers or circus performers who can also be great athletes. WWE is about athletic entertainment along with some of the worst acting you'll ever see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is useless without gifs.

Quote Reply
Re: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair Documentary [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
BLeP is responding to you as if you just told him Santa does not exist.

Just kidding about Santa, BLeP, don't go postal on me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was nice of him to acknowledge the original "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers, which of course leads to Snuka

That dude had a Fashion Sense all his own!

One superlative standout [one of the last times I saw him in the local liquor store: a sunny but cool early spring afternoon, it was about 40 degrees]: Puffy red nylon down jacket, baby blue velour track pants, huarache sandals, dark brown beanie / watch-cap [pulled down to where his pukka-shell headband would have been], wrap-around Christian Dior sunglasses [possibly women's; certainly fake]

He got his usual/daily: Pint of Captain Morgan Dark and a pack of Salem Lights

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next