Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greenwich Mean Time
Quote | Reply
The clocks went back to Greenwich Mean Time in England recently. This can be a traumatic time for me because it means re setting my watch collection. Last few days I've been having some problems with my watches. First the Citizen EcoDrive stopped in the middle of the night. Then the old Citizen Automatic which loses 10 seconds a day started to gain 18 to 20 seconds a day. Then an old automatic Russian watch I've got started gaining 15 to 20 seconds a day when it used to gain at least 30 seconds. Then the Citizen EcoDrive started to work again but was losing about 30 seconds. So I decided to re set all my watches. All seemed to be going to plan. But I noticed this morning that my good old trusty Citizen Automatic which I set at just gone 2am when the radio clock checks the time with some German organisation had already lost about 25 seconds. I noticed my Bkackberry is always at least a minute fast and I'm always manually setting it to be correct but it automatically overrides and each morning it's a minute fast again so I know that's xxxxing useless. The house phone is 2 minutes slow but I've never managed to work out how to re set it so that's useless as well. So I went upstairs to re set the watch but in the time it took me to leave the sofa downstairs and go into the bedroom it had gained the 25 seconds back. Weird I thought. So I checked all my watches and they seem to be where they should be in relation to the radio clock. I went back downstairs and about an hour later checked the time on my iPad and the old Citizen was slow again by about 25 to 30 seconds. I'm now starting to get really annoyed with the watch and decided it was clearly useless and took it back upstairs and threw it in the watch drawer along with all the other unreliable watches and got out another watch which I checked and it was spot on with the radio clock. Later this morning I looked at it and noticed it was 28 seconds slow compared to the iPad. I ran up stairs as fast as I could to check the watch against the radio clock and it was spot on. So now I'm annoyed with the radio clock and decided to check the bloody thing and phoned up the talking clock thing and the radio clock was spot on. By now I've started to lose all sense of reason and started to believe there is some sort of time warp between downstairs and upstairs. I decided the iPad must be getting its time from the Internet and perhaps the Internet is slow so I went on a US Navey time site and according to it my radio clock is correct and the iPad is wrong by 28 seconds. Now for years I've been getting really wound up by watches gaining or losing time inexplicably but I've been checking them sometimes on the iPad and sometimes on the radio clock. Now what I can't work out is why is the xxxxing iPad 28 seconds fast? I've got the barsteward iPad set to ' Set Automatically ' so it's setting automatically 28 seconds xxxxing fast what is the use of that? It's like everything these days, all functions and apps and fancy words and clever algorithms but no accuracy and no reliability or robustness. I'm sure the little bearded tight suited little wink3rs who designed the iPad are really clever little c&nts who know all about writing code and algorithms but they need a red hot poker up the ar$e. Is it just my iPad which is 28 seconds fast or are all Apple gadgets as inaccurate and are they repeatable next we will learn that GPS can't measure distance properly. And what's really annoying is I had a right go at the vicar and she got the man out from all the way up in Durham to fix the Church clock because it's slow which it wasn't because I've been checking it's chimes when I'm on the iPad reading late at night in the dark and I can't see the watch or the radio clock in the dark. I've just checked the Samsung TV which cost more than my bloody car and its 7 seconds slow. My Bkackberry is 2 minutes fast, the clock in the car is a minute fast. I'm going to have to apologise to the vicar now and offer to pay the bill from the clock man. And it begs the question if Sir John Bennet can build a church clock with 3 faces in 1870 which chimes the hours with a huge bell reliably for over 140 years, why can't Apple and Blackberry make phones and tablets which tell the right bloody time today in 2016? I've got a drawer full of battery driven watches, a blackberry, an IPad an Applemac, a TV, abut 20 or so electric clocks the wife buys, and the most reliable clock is the Church clock made in 1870. Isn't there some sort of EU law which demands gadgets show the correct time?
Last edited by: Trev: Nov 5, 17 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget clocks move one hour backwards this morning. I just reset my seiko presage which keeps excellent time

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Nov 5, 17 3:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up buying any kind of clock that needs manually updating a while back. I get my time from my Garmin watch, my iPhone or my computer, each of which updates automatically and are close enough that I really don't care. The only time I have to adjust a clock manually is the car, and hoping my next car purchase fixes that! Microwave theoretically has a clock, but since nobody in my family apart from me appears to be able to use the microwave without changing the time, I gave up on that years ago.

There also seems to be a concerted attempt (led by the French I believe) to replace GMT with UTC. I see GMT used in fewer and fewer places, to the extent that recently (on my Garmin I believe) I was choosing a timezone and not only was there no GMT option, there wasn't even a London option - I had to choose Reykjavik!
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My cellphone updated automatically
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
There also seems to be a concerted attempt (led by the French I believe) to replace GMT with UTC. I see GMT used in fewer and fewer places, to the extent that recently (on my Garmin I believe) I was choosing a timezone and not only was there no GMT option, there wasn't even a London option - I had to choose Reykjavik!

You can’t replace GMT with UTC. They’re different animals. GMT is a time zone. UTC is the time standard used everywhere to keep clocks across the world synchronized.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
cartsman wrote:

You can’t replace GMT with UTC. They’re different animals. GMT is a time zone. UTC is the time standard used everywhere to keep clocks across the world synchronized.

As an Englishman born in 1957 long before UTC/ Zulu took over from GMT in 1972, I still refer to real time as Greenwhich Mean Time, particularly when talking to foreigners, especially the French and Germans.

Greenwich Mean Time is within +\- 0.9 of a second of UTC / Zulu used by the military, shipping and aviation - it is the same thing, although for precise scientific purposes Zulu should be used.

It is 12 noon when the sun is at its highest at the Prime Meridian, which passes through Greenwich England.

GMT was superseded as the international civil time standard by Coordinated Universal Time on January 1st 1972. New more accurate technology is used, but the concept is still the same.
Last edited by: Trev: Nov 5, 17 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This explains.

http://www.navy.mil/...stions/zulutime.html

Zulu" time?

"Zulu" time is that which you might know as "GMT" (Greenwich Mean Time). Our natural concept of time is linked to the rotation of the earth and we define the length of the day as the 24 hours it takes the earth to spin once on its axis.
As time pieces became more accurate and communication became global, there needed to be a point from which all other world times were based. Since Great Britain was the world's foremost maritime power when the concept of latitude and longitude came to be, the starting point for designating longitude was the "prime meridian" which is zero degrees and runs through the Royal Greenwich Observatory, in Greenwich, England, southeast of central London. As a result, when the concept of time zones was introduced, the "starting" point for calculating the different time zones was/is at the Royal Greenwich Observatory. When it is noon at the observatory, it is five hours earlier (under Standard Time) in Washington, D.C.; six hours earlier in Chicago; seven hours earlier in Denver; and, eight hours earlier in Los Angeles.
Unfortunately the Earth does not rotate at exactly a constant rate. Due to various scientific reasons and increased accuracy in measuring the earth's rotation, a new timescale, called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), has been adopted and replaces the term GMT.
The Navy, as well as civil aviation, uses the letter "Z" (phonetically "Zulu") to refer to the time at the prime meridian. The U.S. time zones are Eastern ["R", "Romeo]; Central ["S", "Sierra"]; Mountain ["T", "Tango"]; Pacific ["U", "Uniform"]; Alaska ["V", "Victor"], and Hawaii ["W", "Whiskey"].
The Department of the Navy serves as the country's official timekeeper, with the Master Clock facility at the U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C.
Last edited by: Trev: Nov 5, 17 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a slightly tangential note

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

Is well worth reading........
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes a good read.

John Harrison, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As was plimsoll sensation

Been a long time since muppets in Westminster did anything that useful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you live in Wales? I recently saw a doumentary about how there is a temporal anomaly there called the Cardiff Time Rift. That would explain why all your time pieces are wonky. The documentary is called Doctor Who.

Also, dont worry about EU regulation on time keeping. Once Brexit is completed all electronics will suddenly work better.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's with the quadruple spacing between lines?

It sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
What's with the quadruple spacing between lines?

It sucks.

Must

have

happened

somewhere

along the line when

I and pasted it from

Notes on

my iPad.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenwich Mean Time [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On a slightly tangential note
Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

Is well worth reading........

The A & E movie of the same name is very good also. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192263/

The story is told in a similar fashion to "The Red Violin" which is an excellent movie also. http://www.imdb.com/...120802/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Quote Reply