Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leak in ceiling
Quote | Reply
So my first floor ceiling is showing signs of a slow leaking pipe (water stain at ceiling drywall joints).

The ceiling spans about twenty feet across. I have a tub and shower above the south end, a sink and toilet closet to the middle and 2 floor laundry on the north side.

Water marks on both the north end and the south end of the ceiling. I am assuming water is dripping on one side and flowing to the other - causing stain on both sides.

Will a plumber have any tricks to knowing how to find the leak, or should I just start cutting holes and inspecting for myself?

Also, assuming I find the leak and repair it, do I need to replace all the potentially wet ceiling board, or can I ject let it dry out on its own once the leak is fixed?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Leak in ceiling [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start cutting. That is what they are going to do. They may or may not cause less damage than you would.
I just went through this for two very small leaks with little visible wetness. The plumber was careful but the restoration people took my house apart anyway. Good Luck

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When was your house built? There was a time (I think 80's-90's) when water lines were a material called Poly-B. That material is known for springing leaks.

A plumber will just start cutting holes. If you're comfortable doing it yourself, go for it.

You might be able to salvage the drywall. But keep in mind: the paper backing on drywall board is where mould loves to grow. You have a slow leak (for how long?) in a dark, warm space on an organic material. Personally, I would opt to replace it as once you start smelling that damp, musty, mould smell you'll have a hell of a time getting rid of it. Really you will have to cut some holes and inspect and make that call yourself.

My plumber hooked up a new bathtub incorrectly in my bathroom which ended up leaking through the finished ceiling down below in our basement suite. It was caught and opened within a few days, and when I opened the ceiling there was already signs of mould growth. There was insulation in the floor joists (which was now soaked) which made the problem worse. I ended up cutting out a 4' by 4' square of ceiling, removing the wet insulation, leaving a fan to dry it out for a day (not a heater which will promote mould growth - rookie mistake), then re-boarding, taping and painting the ceiling.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Nov 4, 17 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: Leak in ceiling [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am good to cut and repair pipes. I am going to need help replacing ceiling though - which sucks because three years ago we had a toilet fail on the third floor which required a large section of the first floor ceiling to be replaced they did an amazing job and until recently, it was pristine.

Hate to have to mess it up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, blending in patch jobs is an art. Around here, calling a drywaller for a small patch pretty much starts at $3-400.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do all the cutting as others have said.

I’d do most of it myself except for the taping and spakling for the reasons BC mentioned above

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One possibility is to use a thermal camera to find the leak.
Quote Reply