Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Netflix
Quote | Reply
It constantly amazes me the range and volume of their own content.

Less than 10 years ago i was getting 3 DVD's a week and sending them back

Now from films to TV they have completely changed the way we watch.

I am not sure where it goes from here but i think its been one of the things i have derived most value for money from over last decade when you consider its not far off the same price as a subscription to training peaks........
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem is that their movie selection has really become "sucks" in the past year or two. The randomness of what shows are on it (my daughter and I were going through the X-Files, and then it was gone...) are annoying, too.

I still subscribe. :-/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon Prime is good also. I've got a 6-month free student subscription to Prime, then it's 50% or something. Between that and Netflix I can sit down and watch something exactly when I'm free or want it, and make that "switch off" time work more efficiently. In Europe a lot of the traditional channels are switching to on-demand models also. Netflix has propagated a huge change in how televised media is consumed.

Agree completely - good value for money.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
The only problem is that their movie selection has really become "sucks" in the past year or two. The randomness of what shows are on it (my daughter and I were going through the X-Files, and then it was gone...) are annoying, too.

I think the "suck" comes from having Netflix a long time as a viewer and basically working through their existing stock of movies available for stream. We run out of content of the quality movies we'd like to watch.

They (and Amazon) do not really have a good stream/refresh of recent good movies available to watch. By recent, I mean all the good movie releases on a rolling 3-4 year basis. The studios lock those down it seems pretty good and won't allow free streaming. Only available if you rent them a la carte.

I don't think it is Netflix/Amazon's fault. It is Hollywood Studios not allowing it.

Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:

I think the "suck" comes from having Netflix a long time as a viewer and basically working through their existing stock of movies available for stream. We run out of content of the quality movies we'd like to watch.

They (and Amazon) do not really have a good stream/refresh of recent good movies available to watch. By recent, I mean all the good movie releases on a rolling 3-4 year basis. The studios lock those down it seems pretty good and won't allow free streaming. Only available if you rent them a la carte.

I don't think it is Netflix/Amazon's fault. It is Hollywood Studios not allowing it.

Amazon Fire TV + Kodi + Ares Wizzard for the win! Stream what you like. Shows, movies, live tv... a little sketchy on the legality. Yes the content is pirated, but you are just streaming and not downloading it. Not sure how that falls under the law as you are not providing but consuming..
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, I've been using Kodi and Amazon Firestick for about a year now.

The various movie streaming apps are at times unstable, and you need to keep on top of updating and even switching apps. Kind of annoying, but hey, its free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
my daughter and I were going through the X-Files, and then it was gone...

Tell me about it. Doctor Who just disappeared into the time continuum.
"30 Rock" is not available on the Canadian Netflix... we do get "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and the US version doesn't... but no Jedi is as funny as Tina Fey.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:

Along the way something changed and they weren't able to stream everything anymore. They still do the DVD by mail operation where you can get new releases in a similar cadence to Redbox or a rental stream (Amazon, Google Play, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
yep, I've been using Kodi and Amazon Firestick for about a year now.

The various movie streaming apps are at times unstable, and you need to keep on top of updating and even switching apps. Kind of annoying, but hey, its free.

If you use some of the builds they install a lot of different apps so I just switch over. I update maybe once a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:

Along the way something changed and they weren't able to stream everything anymore. They still do the DVD by mail operation where you can get new releases in a similar cadence to Redbox or a rental stream (Amazon, Google Play, etc.)

What I can't figure out is why they haven't been able to put in a modified version of this for streaming. So the streaming version of this would cost $10 extra a month (upgraded plan) and you get to stream x number of premium movies per month. Basically serves same function as the snail-mail program. I'm guessing is still is Hollywood blocking this from happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and me both. It's got to be some sort of holdover agreement with hard copy distributors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is their revenue stream? Unless they can expand it, I don't like the model. Right now, the amount of original content (which has been overall incredible) is severely limited by the number of subscribers.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the cost of hosting "popular" movies to stream for free is astronomical. I think they should move to a streaming model where they have their free content of older movies but charge a rental fee for new releases. CI currently subscribe to Netflix and I have Prime but I use Vudu for streaming movie rentals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We signed up for Netflix when we cut cable this spring.

After I watched the 2-3 movies, 2 TV shows I wanted. I am struggling to find anything that is watchable. The selection seems to be a lot like what cable companies do. Cable companies give you 300+ channels to watch, but you probably care to only 5-10 of those channels.

Seriously thinking of cutting out Netflix.
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with Netflix is that unlike TV, it does not actively show you commercials for other stuff you should watch. These last few months there was a barrage of TV commercials to watch "Young Sheldon". Its the funnies new show on TV, the commercials proclaim. Against my better judgement I took a look. Not for me.

Its harder to figure out what to watch on Netflix. There are a lot of hidden gems - but its hard to find them.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The problem with Netflix is that unlike TV, it does not actively show you commercials for other stuff you should watch. These last few months there was a barrage of TV commercials to watch "Young Sheldon". Its the funnies new show on TV, the commercials proclaim. Against my better judgement I took a look. Not for me.

Its harder to figure out what to watch on Netflix. There are a lot of hidden gems - but its hard to find them.

The algorithm usually takes care of that for me based on what I have watched in the past. For me, it is almost bang on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

After I watched the 2-3 movies, 2 TV shows I wanted. I am struggling to find anything that is watchable. The selection seems to be a lot like what cable companies do. Cable companies give you 300+ channels to watch, but you probably care to only 5-10 of those channels.

Yeah, if you are looking for name brand shows you are going to be SOL. A good place to start would be to Google Netflix originals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We, in europe, have far less variety and there is still tons of good stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

I suspect that if you can only find 2-3 movies on Netflix that you want to watch, the problem is not with Netflix.

Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The regional variations suck. I spend my life hopping around from hotel to hotel. Starting to watch a movie one night in France, then going to finish it the next night in a hotel in Spain and finding it’s not available is beyond frustrating. I tried to defeat the geo-restrictions with VPN, but turns out those guys at Netflix were way ahead of me... :-/
Quote Reply
Re: Netflix [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I believe the cost of hosting "popular" movies to stream for free is astronomical. I think they should move to a streaming model where they have their free content of older movies but charge a rental fee for new releases. CI currently subscribe to Netflix and I have Prime but I use Vudu for streaming movie rentals.

I don't mind renting popular "new" releases for a nominal fee, like you can on Amazon. But they usually cost more than I'm willing to pay. I could justify $2-3 each. But I'm not going to pay $9-15/each.

If my memory serves, back in the old Blockbuster days, you could rent all the new releases for $5 each or something like that. I have to think that the total cost of delivery for a streaming movie is much less than a brick n mortar place. But again, i go back to it may not be Amazon/Netflix issue, it is probably the studios that are charging huge amounts per stream. More than they previously charged Blockbuster per rental fee back in the day....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
orphious wrote:

I don't mind renting popular "new" releases for a nominal fee, like you can on Amazon. But they usually cost more than I'm willing to pay. I could justify $2-3 each. But I'm not going to pay $9-15/each.

If my memory serves, back in the old Blockbuster days, you could rent all the new releases for $5 each or something like that. I have to think that the total cost of delivery for a streaming movie is much less than a brick n mortar place. But again, i go back to it may not be Amazon/Netflix issue, it is probably the studios that are charging huge amounts per stream. More than they previously charged Blockbuster per rental fee back in the day....

I don't think I have ever seen a movie rental for $9-15, at least on iTunes. Most of them seem to be in $5-7 range. Heck you can normally buy new release movies on iTunes for $20.
Quote Reply