Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise
Quote | Reply
There's even a mention of slowtwitch (muscle fibers) in the article. ;-)

A Pill to Make Exercise Obsolete | The New Yorker

"Still, as the example of Lance Armstrong Human makes clear, sometimes exercise alone is not enough. When Evans began giving 516 to laboratory mice that regularly used an exercise wheel, he found that, after just four weeks on the drug, they had increased their endurance—how far they could run, and for how long—by as much as seventy-five per cent. Meanwhile, their waistlines (“the cross-sectional area,” in scientific parlance) and their body-fat percentage shrank; their insulin resistance came down; and their muscle-composition ratio shifted toward so-called slow-twitch fibres, which tire slowly and burn fat, and which predominate in long-distance runners. In human terms, this would be like a Fun-Run jogger waking up with the body of Mo Farah. Evans published his initial results in the journal Cell, in 2008. This year, he showed that, if his cookie-dough-scarfing mice were allowed to exercise, the ones that had been given 516 for eight weeks could run for nearly an hour and half longer than their drug-free peers. “We can replace training with a drug,” he said.

The drug works by mimicking the effect of endurance exercise on one particular gene: PPAR-delta. Like all genes, PPAR-delta issues instructions in the form of chemicals—protein-based signals that tell cells what to be, what to burn for fuel, which waste products to excrete, and so on. By binding itself to the receptor for this gene, 516 reconfigures it in a way that alters the messages the gene sends—boosting the signal to break down and burn fat and simultaneously suppressing instructions related to breaking down and burning sugar. Evans’s doped mice ran farther, in part because their muscles had been told to burn fat and save carbohydrates, which meant that they took longer to “hit the wall”—the painful sensation encountered when muscles exhaust their glucose store."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess would be that while this will help peoples' health it won't be the godsend suggested. Sounds like it basically makes them have "endurance trained" muscle without the training, which would be good for type 2 diabetes, maybe weight loss, but not sure how it will help their heart and blood vessels, etc. like actual endurance exercise does.

Not to mention Mo Farah isn't fast just because of his muscles, it's probably mostly to do with his heart.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Nov 1, 17 4:22
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
My guess would be that while this will help peoples' health it won't be the godsend suggested. Sounds like it basically makes them have "endurance trained" muscle with the training, which would be good for type 2 diabetes, maybe weight loss, but not sure how it will help their heart and blood vessels, etc. like actual endurance exercise does.

Not to mention Mo Farah isn't fast just because of his muscles, it's probably mostly to do with his heart.

Damn. And here I was, hoping to buy a new couch and a truckload of Doritos and Coca-Cola... ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as this works with my erectile dysfunction pills, hair loss pills, fat loss pills, testosterone therapy, and doesn't cause me to have a stroke sitting in the McDonald's drive thru, sign me up.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

"Still, as the example of Lance Armstrong Human makes clear, sometimes exercise alone is not enough. When Evans began giving 516 to laboratory mice that regularly used an exercise wheel, he found that, after just four weeks on the drug, they had increased their endurance—how far they could run, and for how long—by as much as seventy-five per cent. Meanwhile, their waistlines (“the cross-sectional area,” in scientific parlance) and their body-fat percentage shrank; their insulin resistance came down; and their muscle-composition ratio shifted toward so-called slow-twitch fibres, which tire slowly and burn fat, and which predominate in long-distance runners. In human terms, this would be like a Fun-Run jogger waking up with the body of Mo Farah. Evans published his initial results in the journal Cell, in 2008. This year, he showed that, if his cookie-dough-scarfing mice were allowed to exercise, the ones that had been given 516 for eight weeks could run for nearly an hour and half longer than their drug-free peers. “We can replace training with a drug,” he said.

The drug works by mimicking the effect of endurance exercise on one particular gene: PPAR-delta. Like all genes, PPAR-delta issues instructions in the form of chemicals—protein-based signals that tell cells what to be, what to burn for fuel, which waste products to excrete, and so on. By binding itself to the receptor for this gene, 516 reconfigures it in a way that alters the messages the gene sends—boosting the signal to break down and burn fat and simultaneously suppressing instructions related to breaking down and burning sugar. Evans’s doped mice ran farther, in part because their muscles had been told to burn fat and save carbohydrates, which meant that they took longer to “hit the wall”—the painful sensation encountered when muscles exhaust their glucose store."

more crap here for me to read while i sit on my ass...

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was reading recently how scientists are also working on food replacement pills. So we won't have to eat either?
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Was reading recently how scientists are also working on food replacement pills. So we won't have to eat either?
a lot of people doing that already

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to 10 years ago when its effects were shown in animal models. And to 8 years ago when it was added to the WADA list. Google will give you a list of athletes already popped for using it.

Also, there are actually a relatively long list of genes involved in exercise performance. We are not sure exactly what the list is. We aren't sure exactly how the genes in questions all work. We aren't sure how they interact with one another, and how they're impacted by epigenetic factors. Bottom line, yet another article poorly reporting on science (that's not even recent).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So on days you do your "long run or ride" do you take 2 pills?
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Welcome to 10 years ago when its effects were shown in animal models. And to 8 years ago when it was added to the WADA list.
Here I am thinking this would be perfect for my planned come back to my local coffee shop ride (and total domination)....and you have to go and ruin it.
Thanks for nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to 8 years ago when it was added to the WADA list.

Given the flagrant drafting in most races, my bet is that a lot of triathletes will take the risk if there is a chance to get a PB...

Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The concept of a pill that gives you the effect of exercise without having to exercise...

How about the effects of sex without actually having to have sex?
Food without eating?
The mood enhancement of watching a beautiful sunset.... but without having to leave your cubicle?

It would be funny, if people weren't serious about this stuff.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 1, 17 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

more crap here for me to read while i sit on my ass...

Take one of Mister Travis's pills while you're at it. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Now that just sucks. If I see one of those so-called "scientists" Ima throw a beatdown their way, as a matter of fact. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Popping a Pill May Eliminate the Need for Exercise [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about doing things the easy way.

I have a friend who use to wear one of those things that give you a mild shock to simulate a muscle contraction. We were at a baseball game and said that he got in 4 hours of exercise that day...

I'm waiting for the combination pill. One that allows me to have sex, exercise and sleep all at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Welcome to 10 years ago when its effects were shown in animal models. And to 8 years ago when it was added to the WADA list. Google will give you a list of athletes already popped for using it.

Also, there are actually a relatively long list of genes involved in exercise performance. We are not sure exactly what the list is. We aren't sure exactly how the genes in questions all work. We aren't sure how they interact with one another, and how they're impacted by epigenetic factors. Bottom line, yet another article poorly reporting on science (that's not even recent).

Yeah, I worked with a couple exercise physiologists way back in the day. We used to have quite-interesting discussions about the human genome. Eh, what we don't know about genes and genetics probably far outweighs what we do. And to tell the truth, I wouldn't be all that jazzed about being able to just take a pill to replicate the effects of exercise. I like working out, even at my advanced age. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So on days you do your "long run or ride" do you take 2 pills?

We need to study this. #Science, baby! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I have a friend who use to wear one of those things that give you a mild shock to simulate a muscle contraction. We were at a baseball game and said that he got in 4 hours of exercise that day...

I'm waiting for the combination pill. One that allows me to have sex, exercise and sleep all at the same time.

TENS unit. I had to use one of those for my left knee and hamstring back in early 1990 when I was rehabbing them. Weirdest feeling I'd experienced at that point in my life. I used to get a kick out of dialing it up to where the muscles would start contracting. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Well if he wasn't sweating and breathing hard he wasn't getting the workout he thought he was. Well those few muscle fibers he was recruiting were getting a work out but that was probably hardly a blip on his cardiopulmonary system's screen.
Quote Reply