Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clever science people..tell me about ozone sanitisation
Quote | Reply
Just came across this recently. Ozone sanitisation in the food industry...tried to do some google research but most of the links are from companies selling the product / technology.

Is this snake oil or a legitimate technology?
Quote Reply
Re: Clever science people..tell me about ozone sanitisation [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's legit for odor removal. I can see it being used for sanitation. Ozone is just O3. It gives its 3rd oxygen molecule quickly to organic substances leaving O2 (breathable oxygen). It's old tech. Easy to make with a continuous sparking device. It really hard on rubber and plastics and will deteriorate them quickly, as well as your lungs.
Quote Reply
Re: Clever science people..tell me about ozone sanitisation [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O3 is a powerful oxidant.
I've used it in industrial high-purity water treatment to oxidize biologicals and VOCs.
I'm not sure how it would be applied in food industry.
I would not want to expose foodstuffs to it. Its the opposite of a preservative. Any food (starch, triglyceride or protein) that comes in contact with it will be oxidized rapidly - and effectively gain months of age in seconds. Though it would make a good sanitizer of industrial vessels and equipment.

Also - O3 is dangerous. Because its an aggressive gas, even in low concentrations, you will need to have all sorts of precautions - including ambient air O3 sensors and alarms, H&S plans, emergency plans and appropriate PPE (i.e. respirators).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly, the hot tub at our old condo had an "ozonator" or some such thing in the filtration system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Just came across this recently. Ozone sanitisation in the food industry...tried to do some google research but most of the links are from companies selling the product / technology.

Is this snake oil or a legitimate technology?
Generally speaking it's a totally legit tech in other industries. I don't know about food sanitation specifics.
Quote Reply
Re: Clever science people..tell me about ozone sanitisation [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks all.
Quote Reply