Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum
Quote | Reply
Are any of the 250-300 pd capacity aluminum ladders any good? In the sense of when Climbing ladders didn’t bother me the bounce of the aluminum ones was annoying. Older I get the less I like heights and the aluminum scare me a bit.

It’s only to clean gutters a few times a year. Tired of borrowing one to do it. Prefer aluminum due to less weight and easier to move around. Prefer to actually climb on a fiber glass one.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good Werner FGlass 1A ladder 28 foot or so will run you about $350 -- if you are concerned about heights then why not save this money and hire someone? Just a thought ...Most ER docs would agree !! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go fibreglass. If you're going to be working on it all day you want to be sturdy and comfortable. I use ladders a lot for work and used to cheap out and buy aluminum. Then one day I bought a fiberglass werner that was on sale and that one is my go to. You barely notice the weight, you definitely notice the increased stability.

Also, get a gutter guard if you don't have one. They're awesome.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gets expensive having someone come out 3-4 times a year. I have a guy do one good cleaning a year. Grew up around ladders, climbed trees with spikes and a belt. Just don’t love heights anymore.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Go fibreglass. If you're going to be working on it all day you want to be sturdy and comfortable. I use ladders a lot for work and used to cheap out and buy aluminum. Then one day I bought a fiberglass werner that was on sale and that one is my go to. You barely notice the weight, you definitely notice the increased stability.

Also, get a gutter guard if you don't have one. They're awesome.

That’s part of my problem. When I was younger I was primarily on aluminum. The ladder I’ve been borrowing is fiber glass and I don’t want to go back. The weight moving it in tight spaces is the issue.

I’d love to put gutter guard up. I used it at my last house. Roofer said it won’t work with current roof. Slate, steep pitch and lots of valleys make the water run too fast and will cascade over the guard. Thinking of trying the sponge screen thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, that's not what I meant by gutter guard. A while ago I was at home Depot and they had this product by the ladders. It was around two feet wide, yellow plastic. You hook it on your gutter, and lean your ladder against that instead of the gutter itself. It protects your gutter from.scrstches and dents, and provides a sturdy, non slick surface to tilt your ladder up against. I thought it was named gutter guard but could be wrong.

Either way, it was $20, and well worth it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll have to check that out. The roofer last time hooked a bunge cord around the gutter to hold ladder in place. Never saw that before

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have an overhead electrical service that you are working around, you could justify the fiberglass as not only more comfortable and steady but also safer. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How tall is your roof? How long is the ladder that you usually use?

I climb a lot of roofs - about 5-7 a day when I'm running insurance claims. I have a 28 foot extension ladder, and 3 Werner multi-position ladders (13, 17, 22). I much prefer to use the multi-position ladders. They are easier to store, move around and are extremely stable because they have a wide base.

The numbers used for most ladders is what they consider the "reach" and does not indicate the height of the lader. I can use the 22 foot if the eave height is no more than 16 or 17 foot. You can get the 22 foot at Home Depot for about $150 or so.

As for using bungee cords to tie off the ladder. It is useful if you're setting it up on uneven ground, or if it is windy. It doesn't hurt to use a bungee for additional safety.

Just a few safety tips. NEVER set a ladder on a wood deck unless there is someone to hold the ladder while you are on the ladder. It may slip out. Same goes for solid surfaces that are wet or slippery. I prefer to set a ladder up on grass or mulch as long as it is level.

Also, when climbing on/off the ladder - never step on a rung that is above the eave (or point where the ladder is against an object). It may cause it to kick out.

Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Oct 28, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Extension ladder, fiber glass or aluminum [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for tips. 28 - 30 ft is what I need. The one I borrow is 28. I have a 16 multi position ladder that I like.

Quote Reply