Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition)
Quote | Reply
http://www.espn.com/...t-bob-mcnair-comment

Was it insensitive? Possibly. But he’s an old man. He apologized.

I’ve used that saying 1,000+ times. Especially when I was a division officer in the navy. My division was racially mixed between black, Asian and white. I said it many times in front of my men. They would have been put in hack if they asked for a mental health day.

Player had to take a mental health day because his feelings were hurt?
Last edited by: davec: Oct 27, 17 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Dragon Green was interviewed about it (why, I don’t know) and he said it was like Donald Sterling, and that people aren’t allowed to use figures of speech anymore.

I’ve used this phrase, or “lunatics run the asylum,” many times.

People either are too ignorant of the language, or too sensitive about every damn thing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
People either are too ignorant of the language, or too sensitive about every damn thing.

Try using the word niggardly sometime and that will be quite apparent

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, my question is...

Would people prefer that the inmates ran the prison? If they’re mad at someone saying they shouldn’t...

(Yes i’m aware its a figure of speech, and not meant to be taken literally. However if other people are too obtuse to understand this i’m going to make fun of them.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering the context, the inmate comment after being called sons of bitches by the POTUS, and all the absurd accusations re the kneeling during the anthem . . . I question whether his apology was genuine.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Considering the context, the inmate comment after being called sons of bitches by the POTUS, and all the absurd accusations re the kneeling during the anthem . . . I question whether his apology was genuine.

The LR is the most amazimg place on earth. Half the people still have no idea why Trump won and the other half still have no idea why black people are mad. Does anyone know anything around here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think him being old has anything to do with it. It is just a saying.

If I were a player and wanted to make a big deal out of it, I wouldn't say he thinks we are all inmates and he is the warden. I would go with the idea that the players and owners have to work as partners on this issue and not have one side think they are calling all the shots. I think that would play better whether it was true or not.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't have used the expression. This is an enourmously political issue and each side is going to pick on every little thing they can find. That's the way we roll now.

At the same time, I think it's a reaction we all need to tone down. That statement is nothing really.
Last edited by: SH: Oct 28, 17 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially since it wasn't even directed at the players. These overpaid black athletes are so full of themselves thinking everything is about them.

McNair released a second statement Saturday afternoon and insisted he wasn't referring to the players with his "very regretful comment." Instead he says he was "referring to the relationship between the league office and team owners and how they have been making significant strategic decisions affecting our league without adequate input from ownership over the past few years."

Insert <facepalmmeme>
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Especially since it wasn't even directed at the players. These overpaid black athletes are so full of themselves thinking everything is about them.

McNair released a second statement Saturday afternoon and insisted he wasn't referring to the players with his "very regretful comment." Instead he says he was "referring to the relationship between the league office and team owners and how they have been making significant strategic decisions affecting our league without adequate input from ownership over the past few years."

Insert <facepalmmeme>

Statement seems like complete nonsense. Accounts of the quote make it seem very likely he was referring to the players. One thing I admire in an apology is when the person owns the situation rather than obfuscating and deflecting.

Quote:

These overpaid black athletes are so full of themselves thinking everything is about them.

Overpaid? Sounds like maybe you could be the next Billy Beane, ready to advise ownership on how to win in the NFL with white players (who are, of course, not overpaid and not "full of themselves" (Johnny Football and Tim Tebow notwithstanding but they've both already been run out of the league) and non-uppity value-priced black players. Go for it!
Last edited by: trail: Oct 28, 17 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

Insert <facepalmmeme>

Jesus Christ, why not just pledge allegiance to the fucking Klan and get it over with! FFS seriously?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that if the "inmates" in the analogy are mostly white no one is offended. So the offended are actually being racist.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
My guess is that if the "inmates" in the analogy are mostly white no one is offended. So the offended are actually being racist.

Way to try to turn it. Obv fail though seeing as the vast majority of the "offenders" are black.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Dragon Green was interviewed about it (why, I don’t know) and he said it was like Donald Sterling, and that people aren’t allowed to use figures of speech anymore.

I think the problem isn't that he used a figure of speech, it's that the analogy was used, deliberately, to describe protesting athletes as miscreants who need to know their place and get in line. His bullshit apology only reinforces the point, in my mind. There's no way to soften it in the context in which it was used, so he tried to reframe it as describing a different dynamic, which is transparently, laughably false.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Insert <facepalmmeme>

Jesus Christ, why not just pledge allegiance to the fucking Klan and get it over with! FFS seriously?

Jesus Christ, do you understand sarcasm? Seeing as I'm an implant into north Georgia, how many personal examples would you like to show that is how many, many people see this situation. Hell, i overheard someone say they just became the Texans biggest fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

If someone is using the word niggardly instead of one of a dozen other commonly used synonyms, they're doing it to be provocative, in which case, they probably deserve whatever they get.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

If someone is using the word niggardly instead of one of a dozen other commonly used synonyms, they're doing it to be provocative, in which case, they probably deserve whatever they get.

Spoken like someone that isn't trying to catch another in some type of GOTCha M'FER like so many of the right leaning LR'ers like to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Way to try to turn it. Obv fail though seeing as the vast majority of the "offenders" are black.

Whaaaaaattttt? The "offender" here is the dude who said the inmates can't run the asylum. The "offended" are the SJWs. The "inmates" are obviously the players. The SJWs are offended because the white owner compared the mostly black kneeling players to inmates. Why is that offensive?
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I think the problem isn't that he used a figure of speech, it's that the analogy was used, deliberately, to describe protesting athletes as miscreants who need to know their place and get in line. His bullshit apology only reinforces the point, in my mind. There's no way to soften it in the context in which it was used, so he tried to reframe it as describing a different dynamic, which is transparently, laughably false.

Well, Dramon's comment was along the lines of, "This is 2017, you can't use figures of speech anymore."

Regardless, the inmates/prison or lunatics/asylum turn of phrase is pretty common, and it doesn't necessarily correspond to an actual feeling that the people referred to are actual miscreants, thugs, or crazy. It just refers to the people who are in a relationship where on group is in authority and the other isn't.

This figure of speech was used in a meeting a month ago. I'm not quite willing to credit ESPN with accurately portraying his comments or the context. I'm not giving him a complete pass for choosing his words poorly, but I think this is a pretty common expression which fits the situation being discussed, whether he was talking about the player or the NFL front office (which he claims he was doing).

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s suck it up buttercup moment (nfl edition) [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Whaaaaaattttt? The "offender" here is the dude who said the inmates can't run the asylum. The "offended" are the SJWs. The "inmates" are obviously the players. The SJWs are offended because the white owner compared the mostly black kneeling players to inmates. Why is that offensive?

Thank you for your response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Thank you for your response.

Yeh man, good talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NFL might be the only league where the inmates are not running the asylum.
Quote Reply