Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen
Quote | Reply
The smartphone-based dating app Tinder is illustrating that we still display ancient, primal behaviors in the way we select potential mates. In short, men using the app in looking for women tend to go for the so-called "hot" ones, prizing physical good looks over all other attributes, while women spend more time perusing profiles of men in an attempt to find those who display intelligence and stability.

Silly me. Here I thought Tinder was just another one of those random hook-up sites. ;-)

"Dr Mirjam Brady-Van den Bos, from the University of Aberdeen’s School of Psychology, said: “Our research demonstrates that we haven’t really changed in all those millennia of evolution.

“Tinder is seen as a sophisticated but artificial way of meeting prospective partners. What we’ve shown though is that the way people search for potential dates is in line with what evolutionary theories on human mating choices would predict.”"

"Tinder promotes the “McDonaldisation” of dating that expends little time and effort, much like visiting a fast food restaurant, said Dr Brady-Van den Bos. This encouraged people to tap into their ancient mating instincts.

She said: “Accepting that this ‘McDonaldisation’ of romantic partners mirrors real life is hard - but it does. People are reverting to human nature much more than they realise.”"

Tinder brings out ancient mating behaviour, finds Scots study - The Scotsman

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Researcher sets up premise that tinder is a sophisticated way to meet potential mates. Then proceeds to knock down that strawman.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Researcher sets up premise that tinder is a sophisticated way to meet potential mates. Then proceeds to knock down that strawman.

I didn't think there was anything sophisticated about the site. From what I understand, most people just swipe endlessly until something catches their eye. Then they go hook up. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

I didn't think there was anything sophisticated about the site. From what I understand, most people just swipe endlessly until something catches their eye. Then they go hook up. ;-)

That's got to be hurting the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

Nah, you grab a drink at the bar first, before going to hook up and never call them again.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

Nah, you grab a drink at the bar first, before going to hook up and never call them again.

This is really the expectation for that sort of thing? The endless hook-up?

Thanks for the info. As I always say; the 21st century isn't turning out as I'd hoped. ;-)

Last edited by: big kahuna: Oct 22, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

I was on for a while. You can really get whatever you are looking for: endless hookups, relationships etc.

I had a little of both before meeting someone offline the old fashioned way.

I found that most people were super honest and up front which eliminates a lot of wasted time and bullshit.

In my experience, women aged 20-30 and 40+ are looking for more casual and women 30-40 were looking for longer term deals. You don’t really need tinder to know that but it was a good validation.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

I was on for a while. You can really get whatever you are looking for: endless hookups, relationships etc.

I found that most people were super honest and up front which eliminates a lot of wasted time and bullshit.

In my experience, women aged 20-30 and 40+ are looking for more casual and women 30-40 were looking for longer term deals. You don’t really need tinder to know that but it was a good validation.

So, you conducted a lot of sociological research, is what you're saying? For #Science, right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

So, you conducted a lot of sociological research, is what you're saying? For #Science, right? ;-)

Just doing my part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

Thanks for the info. As I always say; the 21st century isn't turning out as I'd hoped. ;-)

To be honest, I seem to be one of the few millennials that avoided online dating entirely. I preferred the old fashion way: meeting a nice girl at a bar, going to hook up, then never calling them again ;-). I kid, I kid.

From what I gather, you can find it all on Tinder, but it seems more geared towards casual dating. In my opinion, when you remove the effort in putting yourself out there or approaching someone (swiping right) you de-value the communication and relationship with your date from the start. "I can always go back on Tinds and swipe right again if this one doesn't work out".

I'm 34, but would feel pretty lost in the dating world if I were to find myself single these days.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Oct 23, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:

To be honest, I seem to be one of the few millennials that avoided online dating entirely. I preferred the old fashion way: meeting a nice girl at a bar, going to hook up, then never calling them again ;-). I kid, I kid.

From what I gather, you can find it all on Tinder, but it seems more geared towards casual dating. In my opinion, when you remove the effort in putting yourself out there or approaching someone (swiping right) you de-value the communication and relationship with your date from the start. "I can always go back on Tinds and swipe right again if this one doesn't work out".

I'm 34, but would feel pretty lost in the dating world if I were to find myself single these days.

This reminds me of that Erica Jong 1973 novel "Fear of Flying." In it, she coined the phrase "zipless f*ck." According to the author, it's "a sexual encounter between strangers that has the swift compression of a dream and is seemingly free of all remorse and guilt. It is absolutely pure, there is no power game and it is free of ulterior motives. It has also been described as the perfect one night stand."

Is that what western civilization has become, a facilitator for the zipless f*ck? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Is that what western civilization has become, a facilitator for the zipless f*ck? ;-)

You say that as if it's a bad thing...?
Quote Reply
Re: Tinder is Turning Us Back into Cavemen and Cavewomen [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

You say that as if it's a bad thing...?

Not necessarily good or bad. I just wonder, though, if that's become the be-all, end-all of our lives these days. ;-)

Quote Reply