Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk to me about Tulsa, OK.
Quote | Reply
A guy I know through work is pretty in to auto racing. He races locally and travels around for competition. For the last few years he has been going to Tulsa in March for the 'chili bowl'. A friend and I thought it would be fun to go watch him and experience this bowl of chili, so we are contemplating a short guys trip to see the action.

I was looking at flights the other day and I'm thinking I could split a week between Austin TX (somewhere I've always wanted to go) and a couple days in Tulsa pretty easily.

Anything I should know about the area? Is it worth spending more time in Tulsa as opposed to Austin? I know nothing about the area.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Tulsa, OK. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hellhole. I would not spend any time in the whole state.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tulsa as a vacation destination doesn't have a lot to offer imo.
the eastern part of oklahoma is beautiful. for outdoorsy stuff eastern OK is great. fishing, rafting, hiking.
if you're going for a couple of days i say go for the journey and experience. no reason to spend a lot of time there.

ATX used to be a great town. unfortunately a ton of other people think that also. imo, traffic there rivals LAX only on a smaller scale. when i overnight there for work we stay right off I-10 where it crosses the colorado river. i've seen it look like a parking lot at 2am more than just occasionally. ATX has a ton of great restaurants, local food, beer, etc, but plan to be quite frustrated getting anywhere. unless you are staying near downtown and can walk everywhere, then it's awesome, but rooms are expensive.

about 2 years ago i asked my wife if she'd like to move back there. she used to live in ATX, i was living in dallas when we met. after going back to visit friends about a year ago we both agreed that there is no way we'd want to live there. way to crowded, way to political.

since you live in BC i really don't think you'll find anything in either place that will beat what all y'all have up there, it'll just be different.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Oct 8, 17 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to Tulsa a lot for work, but not personal. Work-wise, the downtown area has changed a bit over the past several years. There are some decent restaurants and usually some type of local live event on the weekends. If you like BBQ, there is a place called Burn Co that is very good.

I've ran along the river near downtown but it was under construction a few months back so was limited in distance. There is a place called Turkey Hill Park (pretty sure that is the name) that co workers have told me has good trail running and mountain biking. If you like to golf, there is a local course called La Fortune that is a quick play and really cheap.

The Doubletree and the Hyatt have the best hotel gyms.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Tulsa, OK. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
A hellhole. I would not spend any time in the whole state.

This. Spend very little time there if possible.

They don't call it a "flyover" state for nothing.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Last edited by: CaptainCanada: Oct 8, 17 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Stillwater, which is about an hour away. I moved here on July 21 of this year for work. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I've only been to Tulsa once (to race), so I can't tell you more - but Oklahoma is not as awful as everyone thinks it is.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Orel Roberts see a 900' talking Jesus in Tulsa?

You gotta go just to see that.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want nice people, slower pace, good food and to just relax you'll enjoy it.
if you're looking for a che or stalin statue to worship...youll hate it.

ah: one really crappy thing OK used to have, and may still have, stupid ass beer laws. maybe the doc can update us on this one. they used to only have 3.2% beer? why freaking bother. i have no idea if the craft brew moment is happening in OK or not. if not, what is your other poison besides beer?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Tulsa, OK. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

Not sure why I or anyone would be looking for that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
ah: one really crappy thing OK used to have, and may still have, stupid ass beer laws. maybe the doc can update us on this one. they used to only have 3.2% beer? why freaking bother. i have no idea if the craft brew moment is happening in OK or not. if not, what is your other poison besides beer?

They still only have 3.2% beer in gas stations/grocery stores, but that will be changing next year. The voters passed a state ballot initiative last year forcing the legislature to update the liquor laws by Oct 1 2018. Ok should be pretty normal at that point--beer and wine in grocery stores, better hours, liquor stores can sell cold beer, sunday sales etc.

There is some decent craft beer in ok and you can get it in the liquor stores np currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Madduck wrote:

poor planning on my part, that was directed at cc.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting tickets to the Chili Bowl is next to impossible. Is your buddy hooking you up?

You are in for one of the coolest circle track racing events on Earth.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Madduck wrote:

poor planning on my part, that was directed at cc.

Well, I was in Cuba in May.

Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Tulsa, OK. [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Getting tickets to the Chili Bowl is next to impossible. Is your buddy hooking you up?

You are in for one of the coolest circle track racing events on Earth.

Honestly haven't made it that far in the planning. I had no idea it was so hard to get in. He may be able to hook us up.

Quote Reply