Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rexit
Quote | Reply
Any bets on how long Rex Tillerson lasts as Secretary of State?

My bet is that by October 15th, the date that the certification for Iran's compliance on the nuclear deal is due, he will be gone.

#MAGA
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will take next Friday. Friday the 13th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am kind of surprised he lasted this long, and that was before the moron deal. I think Kelly is pushing hard for him to stay.

But I can't see him lasting much longer. 2 weeks seems like forever in this administration. Today is the 6th, the 20th seems so very far away for him.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Tillerson. He's tough, knows how to handle highly public jobs without seeking attention on himself. He's not particularly political so not someone trying to undermine the President for his own political future (cough*Clinton*cough).

In my view, one of Trump's good picks so of course his days are numbered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I like Tillerson. He's tough, knows how to handle highly public jobs without seeking attention on himself. He's not particularly political so not someone trying to undermine the President for his own political future (cough*Clinton*cough).

I have to agree with you. I had a lot of reservations when he was announced but he has taken the job very seriously and seems open to discussion instead of just ignoring there is a great big world out there we need to work with.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of reservations when he was announced but he has taken the job very seriously and seems open to discussion instead of just ignoring there is a great big world out there we need to work with.

Tillerson wasn't a politician but his experiences with working his way up at Exxon are the kind of "business" people that should be in politics. He had to play politics when needed to get ahead, had to deal with a public company Board of Directors, had to deal with the red tape in large companies and was exposed to leaders around the world.

Trump ran a private company his way and is now struggling in politics because he's used to surrounding himself with yes people who don't challenge him. He's never had to learn to negotiate or compromise within his own organization.

Tillerson worked his way up and combines street smarts with pragmatism. Trump needs to learn from him but he is too arrogant to see that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I wasn't impressed w/ the pick at first since it seemed like yet another case of appointing corporate robber barons to mind the public's henhouse, but RT has shown a good mix of being firm in our national interests yet calm and pragmatic about diplomacy without making any of it about himself. Very much unlike his boss, in other words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't most (many?) Trump administration departures occur on Friday? That's the sense I get. If he's not gone by the end of the day today (the sixth) then next Friday, the 13th, is my bet.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have to agree with you. I had a lot of reservations when he was announced but he has taken the job very seriously and seems open to discussion instead of just ignoring there is a great big world out there we need to work with.

Except that he's not done a very good job of it. He's a serious, apolitical guy who probably has his heart and head in the right place, but the results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem isn't so much with Tillerson. This line from the article summarizes the problem,

"Tillerson allocated all of his political capital to ingratiating himself with Trump."

It's impossible to be Secretary of State when the President is on Twitter saying things off the top of his head, and contrary to something he might have said the day before. It puts Tillerson in a no win position. He can't repeat some of the things Trump tweets because he would look just as stupid as Trump and he can't control what Trump is going to say.

And of course Trump will blame Tillerson and not accept any responsibility. That's just the way he operates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there's anything that will be Trump's ultimate undoing is that seemingly no one who actually has to work directly for him seems to like him. No one. Most Presidents have an inner circle of people they're tight with. People who'd go to the mat for him in a political fight. Obama had Biden, Rice, Jarrett, et al. Bush had Ashcroft, Card, Rove.

Trump...no one. He seems mostly disconnected to Pence. All indications are that his relationships with Kelly, McMaster, and Mattis are lukewarm at best. Ryan's not a fan. Tillerson and Sessions have both reportedly almost walked away. Another 7-8 guys have walked.

If the figurative knives start coming out because of the eventual Mueller report, he's going to have no one who wants to take figurative bullets for him. (to mix my metaphors)

It could get super lonely for Trump at some point.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 6, 17 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's impossible to be Secretary of State when the President ...

That goes without saying. The more cutting criticism is that his organizational priorities have been such that the department all but ceased to function in it's usual capacity.

Does he even have a Deputy yet?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
It's impossible to be Secretary of State when the President ...

That goes without saying. The more cutting criticism is that his organizational priorities have been such that the department all but ceased to function in it's usual capacity.

Not sure we can lay that on Sec Tillerson’s head. There are vacant deputies and assistant secretarie positions all across the federal govt.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Yes, John Sullivan.
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question is, who takes that job? Tillerson is far more, well, everything than Trump. If he goes, what credible individual takes the job?
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I like him more than I did at the beginning, seems like he really wants to do a good job. Problem is that he is twice as smart as trump and working for a moron can be frustrating.

Now I have heard rumblings in the news that he, Mattis, and Munchen, have a death pact. If one get fired, they all go. Any validity to that, or just more gossip to fill the news cycle? It would make sense if true why Rex is still there. If Trump knows this even he might balk at 3 leaving all at once. A union of 3, I love it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rexit [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I have to admit I like him more than I did at the beginning, seems like he really wants to do a good job. Problem is that he is twice as smart as trump and working for a moron can be frustrating.

Now I have heard rumblings in the news that he, Mattis, and Munchen, have a death pact. If one get fired, they all go. Any validity to that, or just more gossip to fill the news cycle? It would make sense if true why Rex is still there. If Trump knows this even he might balk at 3 leaving all at once. A union of 3, I love it!!!

I read that it was Pence who talked Tillerson off the ledge. So it may just be salacious rumors (though there's plenty of salacious reality swirling around Trump, so who knows).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tillerson is far more, well, everything than Trump. If he goes, what credible individual takes the job?

Sarah Palin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cred·i·ble
ˈkredəb(ə)l/Submit
adjective
able to be believed; convincing.
"few people found his story credible"
synonyms: believable, plausible, tenable, able to hold water, conceivable, likely, probable, possible, feasible, reasonable, with a ring of truth, persuasive
"only one of the so-called witnesses could provide a credible story"
capable of persuading people that something will happen or be successful.
"a credible threat"
synonyms: believable, plausible, tenable, able to hold water, conceivable, likely, probable, possible, feasible, reasonable, with a ring of truth, persuasive
"only one of the so-called witnesses could provide a credible story"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're saying there's a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this current bizarro world - Absolutely!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My theory is that Tillerson/Mattis/Kelly recognize that they are the adults in the room, and they are the real executive branch. Trump will say what he will say in public, but they are the ones who implement policy and are going to do what is sane and best for the nation. There are plenty of examples of Trump saying one thing and them doing something completely different. They aren't going to get pouty and leave.

Contrast that to the many other Secretaries whose ideology aligns with Trump's nut-case ideas, and are gleefully taking their Departments down paths that are harmful to the nation.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Yeah, about that:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Of all the State Department employees who might have been vulnerable in the staff reductions that Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson has initiated as he reshapes the department, the one person who seemed least likely to be a target was the chief of security, Bill A. Miller.

Republicans pilloried Hillary Clinton for what they claimed was her inadequate attention to security as secretary of state in the months before the deadly 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya. Congress even passed legislation mandating that the departmentÂ’s top security official have unrestricted access to the secretary of state.

But in his first nine months in office, Mr. Tillerson turned down repeated and sometimes urgent requests from the departmentÂ’s security staff to brief him, according to several former top officials in the Bureau of Diplomatic Security. Finally, Mr. Miller, the acting assistant secretary for diplomatic security, was forced to cite the lawÂ’s requirement that he be allowed to speak to Mr. Tillerson.

Mr. Miller got just five minutes with the secretary of state, the former officials said. Afterward, Mr. Miller, a career Foreign Service officer, was pushed out, joining a parade of dismissals and early retirements that has decimated the State DepartmentÂ’s senior ranks. Mr. Miller declined to comment.

The departures mark a new stage in the broken and increasingly contentious relationship between Mr. Tillerson and much of his departmentÂ’s work force. By last spring, interviews at the time suggested, the guarded optimism that greeted his arrival had given way to concern among diplomats about his aloofness and lack of communication. By the summer, the secretaryÂ’s focus on efficiency and reorganization over policy provoked off-the-record anger.

Now the estrangement is in the open, as diplomats going out the door make their feelings known and members of Congress raise questions about the impact of their leaving.

https://www.nytimes.com/...tment-tillerson.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Yeah, about that:

Quote:

WASHINGTON — Of all the State Department employees who might have been vulnerable in the staff reductions that Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson has initiated as he reshapes the department, the one person who seemed least likely to be a target was the chief of security, Bill A. Miller.

Republicans pilloried Hillary Clinton for what they claimed was her inadequate attention to security as secretary of state in the months before the deadly 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya. Congress even passed legislation mandating that the departmentÂ’s top security official have unrestricted access to the secretary of state.

But in his first nine months in office, Mr. Tillerson turned down repeated and sometimes urgent requests from the departmentÂ’s security staff to brief him, according to several former top officials in the Bureau of Diplomatic Security. Finally, Mr. Miller, the acting assistant secretary for diplomatic security, was forced to cite the lawÂ’s requirement that he be allowed to speak to Mr. Tillerson.

Mr. Miller got just five minutes with the secretary of state, the former officials said. Afterward, Mr. Miller, a career Foreign Service officer, was pushed out, joining a parade of dismissals and early retirements that has decimated the State DepartmentÂ’s senior ranks. Mr. Miller declined to comment.

The departures mark a new stage in the broken and increasingly contentious relationship between Mr. Tillerson and much of his departmentÂ’s work force. By last spring, interviews at the time suggested, the guarded optimism that greeted his arrival had given way to concern among diplomats about his aloofness and lack of communication. By the summer, the secretaryÂ’s focus on efficiency and reorganization over policy provoked off-the-record anger.

Now the estrangement is in the open, as diplomats going out the door make their feelings known and members of Congress raise questions about the impact of their leaving.

https://www.nytimes.com/...tment-tillerson.html

I stand corrected.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Last edited by: TheRef65: Nov 25, 17 8:10
Quote Reply