Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Follow your passion - how would your life have turned out if you did? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've found it often works out very well for those who marry up in class, at least financially. Loans/GI Bill are for chumps without rich parents...

Yup, definitely married up in MANY ways. OTOH, academically we were pretty well matched.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow your passion - how would your life have turned out if you did? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently following one of my passions, which has made my passion for the activity decrease.

My highschool self would have tried to make the Olympic rowing team. I wasn't Olympic material so I would be broke.

My other big passion was woodworking, building things, and being creative. I became a carpenter, then started a renovation contracting company. It is fun, rewarding, and I'm very good at it, but the stress is huge, the hours are long, and my time spent actually hands on doing the things I love are diminishing. Now in my mid thirties I'm learning to extract more enjoyment out of tackling the challenge of growing a business, which is something I had zero desire to do in my 20's. It wasn't even remotely on my radar.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow your passion - how would your life have turned out if you did? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I followed my passion, I'd be an architect.

And I am. But I make more than I thought I would.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow your passion - how would your life have turned out if you did? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wanted to work in film and tv, all the way back when I had no idea how it all worked. I was a band nerd in high school. Then, my college had no degree in film/tv so I got a seemingly-useless theatre degree. I had access to an old video editor and started making all sorts of little movies. Finally I ditched Kentucky and moved to LA for film school. My passion is in directing and working with actors, but I make my money is in editing network TV shows. I've written several screenplays and have directed several shorts, but honestly they don't get you anywhere. I could shoot a feature if I really wanted to drain my savings. So I guess I'm stock-piling money and still being creative, but hoping to get behind a camera at some point again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m the luckiest SOB you’d ever meet.

I followed my first real passion of going to business school. Loved my work as a financial analyst in the energy industry, but eventually decided to leave the rat race after a corporate merger and retired at age 35. Followed that with a newfound passion of wanting to build my own home. Learned everything I could about construction, and built my retirement home along the shoreline of a beautiful lake. Not sitting on my rear end, though. (I’ve been a workaholic since my early teens.) Now big into videography, photography, gardening, sports (running, triathlon, kayaking), and a website for my fellow local athletes.

Don’t be jealous. Despite all that good fortune, life has really sucked at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Topic

For me, it was as a pro athlete...I was always good at all sports but never great at any one. I started as a DB and made 2nd team all district, but not much need for a 5'6" corner who ran a 4.8 in the 40. In baseball, I was the starting shortstop and played great D, fastball no problem, but could not hit a curveball. I thought golf might be the thing, I was always pretty good, a single digit handicaper, but there was always one more level of good.

Once graduating from college I went into sales because that is what I saw that I could do to make decent money and its been that way for me for the last 30 years - I work to make money to live, not live to work.

Funny thing is, at 53, I desperately need a hobby, something to be passionate about. I am about a year away from really downshifting and scared because not sure what to do with my free time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Car Driver.

My middle age driving skills are so refined that I am completely confident that I would have risen to the top of F1 and made millions. Of course, my wife thinks I drive like shit. It's all a matter of perspective. The things I do when driving that terrify her are the same things that would benefit me on the track.

You decide how much of this statement should be in pink.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Follow your passion - how would your life have turned out if you did? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely could have been a racing car driver

I'd have saved this moment much faster........

Again the parts which should be in pink are entirely at the readers discretion
Quote Reply

Prev Next