Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Real estate tip: Initial offer.
Quote | Reply

Any good tips?
Buyer market, 22 similar properties on the market currently, most over 100days on market.
Two specific comps sold for 20-30k under asking price. (10 to 14% )

Property in question is similar if not slightly better in location but smaller, so I can use there sale price less square footage difference to determine what it is likely worth. How much below that do I go?

Comps were sold approx. 2 months ago, in peak season. No recent sales.
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Offer slightly more than you believe would be received as insulting or ridiculous. It seems like you have the data. Find out what you can about the seller. How desperate, err motivated, are they. How much do they owe, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from price, ask the seller to pick up all closing fees and pay for a one year home warranty program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We purchased our home right when the market was turning into a seller's market in 2008. I gave our agent an offer price and his response was, "Really? I know they're not going to accept it, but I'll do it. Just know that they might be offended." Didn't care since it was from a builder and they'd had a buyer back out on the completed home due to financing or something. The seller told him that they initially decided they weren't even going to respond, but they came back with a counter offer. The counter was less than we actually wanted to get the place for by a bit, which was my strategy -- it's been sitting vacant, they want to sell it, go low, know they'll counter, and get it where we'd be happy with the cost and have instant equity beyond what we were going to have from money down.

If you're in that much of a buyer's market with homes sitting over 100 days, you can't hurt to go low and employ a like strategy. Look at what you'd like to get the place for and what you're comfortable paying, then go below that enough to get a counter for around your comfort level. Worst case is they say no, you move on, and if it's that much of a buyer's market you'll find another place you're happy with.

Triagain3 wrote:

Any good tips?
Buyer market, 22 similar properties on the market currently, most over 100days on market.
Two specific comps sold for 20-30k under asking price. (10 to 14% )

Property in question is similar if not slightly better in location but smaller, so I can use there sale price less square footage difference to determine what it is likely worth. How much below that do I go?

Comps were sold approx. 2 months ago, in peak season. No recent sales.
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are recreational properties. Lake properties.

Not sure if that makes much of a difference. The seller had the property listed @ 230 mid June, no offers, dropped to 219 in July. When the 2 comps sold for 218.5 and 210 mid august they dropped it to 200. Now into the fall, lake season is done, and they have not had a single offer.

They are selling because they are building a new acreage. I believe the value is 180-190 compared to the comps (but I am no expert). I feel an offer of 175 is a good place to start.. Right now I am just getting gun shy.

I do not have a realtor, I have just seen the place with the sellers realtor. Not sure I want to bring another party in at this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's good to have a buyer's agent, but if you don't it might give you a little negotiating room where price is concerned. I.E. Their realtor might take the same cut he normally would (1/2 of whatever a full, split commission is in your state) and then use that toward offsetting the lower offer price to get a deal done. However, they're not there to represent you so you're taking a risk. Title transfer shouldn't be an issue since that's covered however your state legally does so, but all of the other contract work is. That said, I've known people to sell by owner and negotiate a bump with the buyer's agent to take care of the paperwork, which seems just as risky to me, and they've not had an issue. If the seller's agent in this case is reputable, which shouldn't be difficult to determine, you might just find yourself getting a savings if they'll just take the same commission they'd get if you did have an agent & then the seller passing that to you as savings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not in a rush and it's not a dream house at least 15% below. If you are using a realtor explain it to them and let them know you would like to stick in that range. If seller is not interested move onto the next place.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realtors work on commission, they're the worst source for valuation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to have the area and comps all sussed out, real question is how bad do you want"THIS" house. The scale of your offer should be tied to your desire to acquire this particular property. The lack of offers and out of season do work in your favor, but you also don't know for sure that someone hasn't already low balled them and is sitting in the wings.

I love a great deal and I'm usually willing to walk away to get one, or not. I would go the $175k and if they counter(almost 100% they will) make your final answer around 180k. Make it clear no more negotiations, final answer is 180k.

If that doesn't get it, then time for the agent to get creative and get you some add ons. Home warranty, 6 months HOA fees, new fridge, stuff like that. That agent can take a bit of a hair cut if they think you are the last best chance to sell before next season.

Or you could cave like a snowflake and just pay the man his money... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a plan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Monty said.

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Oct 5, 17 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Aside from price, ask the seller to pick up all closing fees and pay for a one year home warranty program.

This is excellent advice as it will reduce their taxable basis. Try to get the broker to cut his commission a bit. I wouldn't bring in another broker but I sure as hell would get my own home inspector. I'd start 15% under the most recent comp. You can always work up and it seems time is on your side.
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen. They want the sale to HAPPEN. They are not interested in you getting the best price. You are on your own in that dept.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we spent one day looking for houses last sept. there was lots of prep but we only thought there were 12 potential properties.

We visited each. we liked the last one.

The deal in france is that once a property is under offer you can not be "gazumped" so the problem is that if you offer to much you get it, but feel you were done, if you offer to little and someone comes along 10 minutes later and their offer is accepted, you can not go back and offer more - thats the way if works contractually here

so we liked the house, I think it was on at 630, or there abouts.

in general the french market is slow - they all think its worth more than it really is and the average time to sell is usually months rather than days and weeks BUT hot properties go quickly

so after visiting we went to pick up some dinner and whilst my wife went in to the shop I called the realtor and said, we want the house, I will offer 550, I am not going to pay 620, and I am not going to pay your commission but if you can get them to accept a figure I will come and sign a contract to buy in the morning.

She called me back within in 10 mins and we agreed on 590

I was subsequently talking to my neighbour, he had offered to buy it off them, but only offered 540 / 550 and they said no. So perhaps someone between 550 and 590 I could have bled them for another 10-20k - I do not know

I wanted the house, the risk of losing it over 10-15k was not worth it relative to how difficult it would be to find something we would be equally happy with i.e. it took nearly 9 months of looking at every property on the internet for there only to be less than a dozen, realistically less than 5 properties we would have even considered.

I guess in summary it depends how bad you want it. I figured 5% off asking, plus the fact that either they or the realtor ate some or all of the difference was a reasonable result
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
we spent one day looking for houses last sept. there was lots of prep but we only thought there were 12 potential properties.

We visited each. we liked the last one.

The deal in france is that once a property is under offer you can not be "gazumped" so the problem is that if you offer to much you get it, but feel you were done, if you offer to little and someone comes along 10 minutes later and their offer is accepted, you can not go back and offer more - thats the way if works contractually here

so we liked the house, I think it was on at 630, or there abouts.

in general the french market is slow - they all think its worth more than it really is and the average time to sell is usually months rather than days and weeks BUT hot properties go quickly

so after visiting we went to pick up some dinner and whilst my wife went in to the shop I called the realtor and said, we want the house, I will offer 550, I am not going to pay 620, and I am not going to pay your commission but if you can get them to accept a figure I will come and sign a contract to buy in the morning.

She called me back within in 10 mins and we agreed on 590

I was subsequently talking to my neighbour, he had offered to buy it off them, but only offered 540 / 550 and they said no. So perhaps someone between 550 and 590 I could have bled them for another 10-20k - I do not know

I wanted the house, the risk of losing it over 10-15k was not worth it relative to how difficult it would be to find something we would be equally happy with i.e. it took nearly 9 months of looking at every property on the internet for there only to be less than a dozen, realistically less than 5 properties we would have even considered.

I guess in summary it depends how bad you want it. I figured 5% off asking, plus the fact that either they or the realtor ate some or all of the difference was a reasonable result

You went 13% under asking price and settled about 7% under. Good to know.

After talking last night, and comparing comps we feel that 180k is a the price we would be happy to pay. 190k is the price we would be willing to pay. I think initial offer will be at 174 800. That is 20% less then a direct comparable basically across the street that was almost twice the size of cabin over two stories with upper and lower deck being lake/beach view. This comp sat on the market for 64 days listed at $239 900.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you need to decide what you think it is worth

our determination was that over the life of ownership is was simply not worth quibbling about to get what we possibly could at the risk of losing it completely

Also - if you are already in at less than comparables, its free equity. there are comparables on my street worth significantly more, they have been modernised, have pools etc and mine is a dump, I have plenty of scope

I am sure my neighbour paid far less for his and he has spent a ton on it, I am sure I might have saved a little, but I am not concerned as I still got in at less than I thought I would
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't use data from France to dictate what you will offer. You can't use data from another city to dictate what you will offer. A lot of times, you can even use data from the same city unless the property characteristics are the same. Saying 13% under is meaningless. I've written offers above list price recently and written below.

You seem to have comps so use those (assuming they actually are good comps). I'll tell you that adjusting by $/sq ft is useless. If home A sells for $200,000 and is 2000 sq ft, and home B is similar in all respects but 1900 sq ft, Home B would sell for about $196,000.

Don't expect the other Realtor to kick anything in. Some do, most don't.

If you aren't completely familiar with the market, it might not be a bad idea to get your own agent. A big portion of their job is education, make sure nothing gets screwed up, and protect your interests. But, it may be too late because you already viewed it with the listing agent.

All that being said, if you are comfortable with your number you might as well go for it. All they can do is accept, counter or say no.

speedySTATES
Last edited by: fartleker: Oct 6, 17 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Realtors work on commission, they're the worst source for valuation.

Realtors work on referrals. The better deal I get my buyers, the more likely they are to use me in the future and recommend me to everyone they know.

The listing realtor is the worst source for valuation since they set (or agreed to) the asking price. A good realtor is always going to do everything they can to get their clients the best deal possible, no matter which side of the deal they are on.

I still want to be successful in this business in 5 years. That won't happen if I knowingly let my clients get ripped off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the point was about strategy rather than using the example i provided specifically

The approach depends on where you are
That said whilst they can only counter, say yes or say no, due to different rules here the strategy has to be different because once a property has an accepted offer its a done deal.

London would be different, until it is sold you can make revised offers and take a property from someone that already has an accepted offer

My point stands, you need to determine how badly you want it, the likelyhood of your offer being accepted, the value relative to comparables and whether you might have buyers remorse if you ended up paying a bit more than you thought you should have
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The listing realtor is the worst source for valuation since they set (or agreed to) the asking price. A good realtor is always going to do everything they can to get their clients the best deal possible, no matter which side of the deal they are on. //

But don't both sides of the deal realtors get paid according to the final sales price? Is not the incentive you ascribe to the selling agent also present in the buyers one??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
These are recreational properties. Lake properties.

Not sure if that makes much of a difference. The seller had the property listed @ 230 mid June, no offers, dropped to 219 in July. When the 2 comps sold for 218.5 and 210 mid august they dropped it to 200. Now into the fall, lake season is done, and they have not had a single offer.

They are selling because they are building a new acreage. I believe the value is 180-190 compared to the comps (but I am no expert). I feel an offer of 175 is a good place to start.. Right now I am just getting gun shy.

I do not have a realtor, I have just seen the place with the sellers realtor. Not sure I want to bring another party in at this time.

This is what trumps price, fast close, cash, and no contingencies.

Pick your offer and realize price is just one piece of the puzzle.

My opinion, I would do 45 day close, no contingencies, $175k. No counter offers and they have 24 hrs to respond. You have other homes you are interested in. If they don't respond, then in a few days, do the same offer and change the price to $180k.
Quote Reply
Re: Real estate tip: Initial offer. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The listing realtor is the worst source for valuation since they set (or agreed to) the asking price. A good realtor is always going to do everything they can to get their clients the best deal possible, no matter which side of the deal they are on. //

But don't both sides of the deal realtors get paid according to the final sales price? Is not the incentive you ascribe to the selling agent also present in the buyers one??

On a single deal, yes it is. However, I don't do business based on an individual deal. The real "sales" part of real estate is selling one's abilities as a realtor. The best marketing is through referrals. If I do a shitty job, I don't get referrals. If I save my clients thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars (and cost myself hundreds, maybe thousands) in the process, I walk away with extremely happy clients who will tell everyone they know how good I am. I could spend those same hundreds or thousands of dollars on advertising, but will never get the return that I would by having people hear success stories from people that they know and trust. I make way more money having that one happy client lead to ten more potential clients.

Maybe I am in the minority in the industry, but I take my fiduciary duty seriously. I tell my clients that everything I do will be to the benefit of them, not my own bank account, and I mean it when I say it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Initially...just the tip