Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me how much of an idiot I would be...
Quote | Reply
To buy a 10-20 year old bmw.

I may be in the market for another car soon, and need to keep it on the cheaper end. It would be used for short distance driving, year round, and that’s really all. I’d prefer not to spend as much per year in maintenance as I will on the car, which I feel is where I’ll be told how dumb it would be to get a bmw.

But I want it to be fun (:

Thoughts?
Or alternate suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only if you like dropping $250-$700 a month in parts and repairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of choices that will be fun AND reliable...just not a BMW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AllI can say is we had an 05 wagon with 70k miles on it and we were on a first name basis with the mechanic. There is an absolute minimum of $500 when you take it in. We had a key fob that went out, $200 per key. Bosch alternator went kaput, $1000+, brakes were weak and needed changing often, oil leaks, and a host of other problems that you do not expect in that low of mileage.

After one trip back from the mechanic I sold it quickly before something else went wrong, and it was to a BMW mechanic!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a 2004 760 iL.

Minimum of $1,000 every time if needed work, which was at least quarterly.

Also a new set of Pirelli P Zeros set us back $1,500.

We have Toyotas now.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...

...when do you pick up your BMW?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have saved at least $8000 fixing my wife's 2005 Mini Cooper S in the 8 years we've owned it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2005 325Cic 2 years ago and until recently didn't spend a dime in maintenance. Of course now it needs new tires and some other stuff that's finally gonna cost me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have an'01 Z3 that we bought new. One of the ways we have kept cost of ownership down is by not driving it for about 5 of those years.

I do a lot of work on my own, but when you can't, it really tags you. I wish I had bought the MR2 instead, and if I wanted an early aughts 2 seater now that is what I would buy.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to buy an old BMW, it would be a lot older. The ones about 30 years ago were far better than the age you're looking at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good family friend of mine has worked at a BMW dealership for 20 some years, she drives a suburban.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2007 530i in the spring...its been amazing. I got it for 6K, it had about 138,000 miles. I did put new tires and rear brakes.

I don't drive a whole lot (maybe 7-800 miles a month), so I didn't think it was too risky

It drive great.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a 2005 330xi that we bought with a salvage title at the insurance auction in 2009 (insurance company fixed it prior to auction).

That car has been absolutely bomber. My husband works on it himself and has a code reader. We have not had any expensive repairs.

He has said he would not get a newer one- that the E46s are super robust and easy to work on. E46 ended in 2004-2006 depending on model. So that might be worth reading up on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It all depends on you really. Do you have the space, tools and ability to work on stuff yourself? If yes, then go for it, they are great cars, fun to drive and not hard to fix. If you are the kind of person who takes every little job to a mechanic, then don't get one.

If you do go ahead with one, what series are you looking at? 3, 5, 7?

The E46 is the best of the 3 series, that goes from 98 to 2006. I'd stick with something 2000 or newer, some of the 98 and 99 325 and 328's had rear subframe issues.

If you want a 5 series stick with the E39 from 1995 to 2003 or so. An E39 540i would be an awesome car to have if you can find one.

7 series I wouldn't get anything newer than a 2000. There is a reason the newer 7's are cheap now, the maintenance is a nightmare.

I have a 2002 330ci convertible so an E46. I bought it 5 years ago with 80k on the clock, my wife daily drives it, except for when it snows, and it has 139k on it now. There are some small common issues with the E46, but they are easy to fix and the parts aren't terribly expensive. I have done absolutely all the work to the car in the time we have owned it and haven't run into anything I couldn't fix myself. That is the benefit of the E46, regarded as the last "mechanical" BMW 3 series. The newer stuff gets a lot more complicated for a hobby mechanic to fix. Also the E46 is better looking than the newer stuff... check out http://www.e46fanatics.com for more info and research. The 330 is fun, the E46 M3 is a really cool car, but the maintenance is a lot worse than a non M car.

My dad has a 1998 740il. Bought it 12 years ago with 60k on it, now has 190k on it. Biggest issue he has had with it is the catalytic converters going out and costing $1,800 to replace so he could pass emissions. Everything else he and I have been able to fix easily with the parts not being too bad.

Are they as reliable as a Toyota or Honda? No. Are they much better to drive, look at, own? Yes. I'd rather have a BMW than a Camry. But if I couldn't fix the car myself I wouldn't own it. As I said, the parts aren't terrible, but paying a mechanic is.

If you want something more reliable and still somewhat fun, look at Lexus. The car my wife drives in the snow and I drive to keep miles off my truck is a 1997 Lexus GS300 I bought 2 years ago with 130k on it. Legendary 2JZ engine, comfortable, auto climate control, nice stereo, leather, etc. It is fun to drive with that fast V6, not as fun as the BMW, but not as bad as a Camry. Parts are stupid cheap, and it is easy to work on. We have put 20k miles on it and I have done oil changes, shocks and a tensioner pulley.

The 2nd gen GS is better looking than my 1 gen and really pretty nice cars. If you really want a blast look for a 1998+ GS400 or GS430. Fast car, still decent looking, nicely appointed and much more reliable than a BMW. I am going to look at a 2002 GS430 on Saturday to replace the 97 GS300. No real reason other than I have always liked the 2nd gen GS, this one is really nice, and I like the idea of 325hp for some "fun" on the ole commute. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 20 year old BMW is a climate terrorist.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is anyone over 20yrs old. How old are you again?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how much of an idiot I would be... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
So is anyone over 20yrs old. How old are you again?

20 is 400 in car years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2000 323i brand new in late 1999, and just sold it a few months ago after 16x,xxx miles. That's an E46 as aarondb4 recommended. All in all, quite reliable, it only ever stranded me once. There are definitely consumables - goes through rotors pretty often, bearings in lower A-arms fail, had to replace a couple fuel injectors, and the valve cover gasket. You can get almost everything on www.germanautoparts.com and they are from the original suppliers to BMW for far less than official BMW parts. There are aftermarket lower A-arms with replaceable bearings, the OEM ones are pressed in and you have to replace the whole A-arm when it fails inspection. Get the replaceable version and it's just the bearing. The one that was expensive was the the ECU, this is the one that stranded me, and it was $500+. Don't buy parts off eBay. I bought one set of China-made rotors, and they were warped within 25k miles. Stick to stuff made by vendors who make OEM parts and you should be fine. Whoever complained about tire costs - you're going to be screwed buying anything from a dealership. Read the size you need off the tire wall, do some research on TireRack. I don't think I ever paid more than $400 for a set of 4 Ultra High Performance All Season. You can find E46's for cheap, but if they were taken care of, you should be able to get 200k+ miles out of one.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a certified pre owned 3 series in 2012, wanted a fun car for a long commute back then. Been a great car overall no issues. Just the standard maintenance on the damn things are too expensive. $400 to change plugs on last visit, up for new tires and brakes now for the low price of $2000. Thinking about taking my wife's MDX and getting her something else. She wants a minivan.

Not crazy about driving another SUV though. Don't really care for them.
Quote Reply