Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Puerto Rico debt
Quote | Reply
I read that Trump made the following comment in reference to the debt that Puerto Rico is carrying,

"President Donald Trump told Fox News that he was “gonna have to wipe out” Puerto Rico’s debt. “We are going to work something out. We have to look at their whole debt structure,” Trump said. “You know they owe a lot of money to your friends on Wall Street. We’re gonna have to wipe that out. That’s gonna have to be — you know, you can say goodbye to that. I don’t know if it’s Goldman Sachs but whoever it is, you can wave goodbye to that.”

Does he mean that he is going to erase their debt with a federal government bailout?

I haven't heard any more about it but I find it a little strange.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Modify the BK law and fist the vulture funds is more likely
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Modify the BK law and fist the vulture funds is more likely

Yes it is more likely. However, I haven't heard a single thing about their debt since the comment so not sure what is going on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Trump meant anything, he opens his mouth and what comes out is as much a surprise to him as a very one else.

But, PR is most likely in the situation where their only possible source is the federal government. They were already a terrible risk. No power, no water means even less economy means no tax revenue.

I can't imagine who would buy a bond backed by them or how they would possibly pay it back.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it would be a bankruptcy. Trump is not going to pay off the creditors from the fed budget. Next to his own money, the fed budget is next in line to being his, and we know how he hates to give away his money. I don't think he will think twice about that aspect, what is gnawing at him is the federal money he will have to pump in there now to rebuild, that is his money...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
State constitutions and PR say holders of GO obligations get first dips on the tax revenue stream. However, if history is any indication, the pensioners will take a hit and the bondholders will get 25 cents on the dollar.

Wait till IL takes a hit and all the pensioners are crying. You better buy high quality municipal bonds if recent events are any indication or be a big hedge fund that can put up a big legal fight so they can realize some gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
State constitutions and PR say holders of GO obligations get first dips on the tax revenue stream. However, if history is any indication, the pensioners will take a hit and the bondholders will get 25 cents on the dollar.

Wait till IL takes a hit and all the pensioners are crying. You better buy high quality municipal bonds if recent events are any indication or be a big hedge fund that can put up a big legal fight so they can realize some gain.

US bankruptcy code supercedes, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, PR is most likely in the situation where their only possible source is the federal government. They were already a terrible risk. No power, no water means even less economy means no tax revenue.

I can't imagine who would buy a bond backed by them or how they would possibly pay it back.

Yeah, that's what interests me. I don't see how, if they were struggling with debt before the hurricane, they will get out of the problems now and what steps the Federal government will take. It sounded to me like he is going to get Wall Street to bite the bullet but I didn't hear anyone on Wall Street agreeing with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got nothing. Trump isn't much of a fiscal hawk in reality. On the other hand it would be really surprising to see wall street get hosed.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there's one thing Trump has experience in, it's this. There is something in it for him personally if he suggests anything other than outright default. Sort of sounds like that is what he is suggesting in a round-about way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I read that Trump made the following comment in reference to the debt that Puerto Rico is carrying,

"President Donald Trump told Fox News that he was “gonna have to wipe out” Puerto Rico’s debt. “We are going to work something out. We have to look at their whole debt structure,” Trump said. “You know they owe a lot of money to your friends on Wall Street. We’re gonna have to wipe that out. That’s gonna have to be — you know, you can say goodbye to that. I don’t know if it’s Goldman Sachs but whoever it is, you can wave goodbye to that.”

Does he mean that he is going to erase their debt with a federal government bailout?

I haven't heard any more about it but I find it a little strange.

I listened to that interview live and Trump was pretty clear that Wall Street was going to take it on the chin with regards to PR (in his mind at that moment in time). I'm fuzzy on mechanics but he could, hypothetically, issue an executive order somehow allowing Puerto Rico to declare bankruptcy. A Federal Bankruptcy court would then be in the politically awkward position of possibly having to say "no". If someone were advising him and he was listening to the advice, it would be a great move in political chess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
summitt wrote:

It's a grey area at the moment. Under the constitution, a state cannot declare bankruptcy but a territory might be able to.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
windywave wrote:
summitt wrote:

It's a grey area at the moment. Under the constitution, a state cannot declare bankruptcy but a territory might be able to.

I meant their constitutional commitment to pay taxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
windywave wrote:
summitt wrote:

It varies by sate and the legal language is not consistent but many states have a constitutional amendment saying full "faith and credit" and then "pledge" their tax revenues to the bondholders. Thus, general obligation bondholders is by the state are suppose to get first dibs on the tax revenue before other creditors. Then there are local state issue bonds, like schools all the way down to revenue bonds issued for highways, airports, etc.

It's a huge industry.
Quote Reply
Re: Puerto Rico debt [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
windywave wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
windywave wrote:
summitt wrote:

It varies by sate and the legal language is not consistent but many states have a constitutional amendment saying full "faith and credit" and then "pledge" their tax revenues to the bondholders. Thus, general obligation bondholders is by the state are suppose to get first dibs on the tax revenue before other creditors. Then there are local state issue bonds, like schools all the way down to revenue bonds issued for highways, airports, etc.

It's a huge industry.

Acknowledged since I know that. Now I reiterate, doesn't the US Bankruptcy Code supercede the state constitution?
Quote Reply