Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bad driving etiquette
Quote | Reply
If you are waiting to turn right at a T in the road on a busy street. Any street I guess for that matter. Is it considered rude for the car behind you making a left to pull up and block your view so you have to wait for the asshole in a SUV to turn before you can ?

Bad news is I have to hope the 5 year old forgets the F word. Good news (in a lemonade out of lemons way) is the 8 year old told her to never repeat that word.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that this is something to be proud of but my 3 year old is familiar with the word and dropped it in front of my mother who was really pleased she used it in be right context

Its interesting that while she has heard a lot and i do try to keep it to a minimum she does not use it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, especially if there aren't two separate lanes, but most people drive like they are the only person on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
If you are waiting to turn right at a T in the road on a busy street. Any street I guess for that matter. Is it considered rude for the car behind you making a left to pull up and block your view so you have to wait for the asshole in a SUV to turn before you can ?

Bad news is I have to hope the 5 year old forgets the F word. Good news (in a lemonade out of lemons way) is the 8 year old told her to never repeat that word.

Depends. If there is a straight/left turn lane and a right turn lane, and it just works out so that if there is a larger vehicle in the left lane, the guy in the right can't see,...then you're just out of luck, no harm no foul, although it is annoying.

If there's a single lane, and you're partially already turned (i.e. following the curb around to the right), and the other guy pulls into the empty space you left in the single lane, that's maybe a partial foul.

If there's a single lane, and the left turning guy actually pulls over to the left of you outside the lane because he doesn't want to wait for you, that's a foul for sure.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single lane each way. There's enough room for a car to get next to you if you angle right. I pulled up a little to right but not far out into the intersection. The car behind immediately pulled up on the left. So I moved up to be able to se on coming cars. She pulled up more blocking me again.

When the situation is reversed, if I was making a left it wouldn't bother me because they could make a right turn while I still have to wait for the cars coming the opposite direction. But when making a right they block your view so even if I could turn I can't see.

Lesson learned I guess to not leave room on my left.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you're the one turning left, and the hulking SUV pulls alongside you on the shoulder to make a right? Now, your view of far-lane traffic is blocked and you have to wait for the SUV (that was originally behind you) to make their turn. To me, that's an equivalent - or greater - dick move.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Single lane each way. There's enough room for a car to get next to you if you angle right. I pulled up a little to right but not far out into the intersection. The car behind immediately pulled up on the left. So I moved up to be able to se on coming cars. She pulled up more blocking me again.

When the situation is reversed, if I was making a left it wouldn't bother me because they could make a right turn while I still have to wait for the cars coming the opposite direction. But when making a right they block your view so even if I could turn I can't see.

Lesson learned I guess to not leave room on my left.

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move on her part.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've seen people get a ticket for doing that - two cars on a single lane. There are a couple of places I drive often where this used to happen so now I take the middle as a favor to the offenders.

Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

I've seen people get a ticket for doing that - two cars on a single lane. There are a couple of places I drive often where this used to happen so now I take the middle as a favor to the offenders.

This. Don't make is easy for an asshole to fulfill their assholiness. Take the entire lane, that you are rightfully entitled to do, so as to disallow bad behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yep, dick move on the other driver's part, but is preventable in the future if you position yourself correctly. Pisses me off when someone tries to create a lane that isn't there so I try to block when I can. Easy to do in my 3/4 ton truck, harder in the wife's convertible.

The intersection where it really is a pain and you can see the good in people or the terrible in people is when there is a left turn lane, straight lane, and room for a right turn lane but isn't actually there. All this at an intersection with a highway that doesn't have a stop. You want to go straight, asshole comes later in the other lane and blocks view, you edge forward, they edge forward, etc. The good people stagger themselves so everyone can see, the assholes keep inching forward as they are so clearly more important than the people who were there first.
Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The intersection where it really is a pain and you can see the good in people or the terrible in people is

For me it's the people who will let you in when turning onto a busy street vs those who ignore you. The traffic around my kids schools is a mess. Making a left is virtually impossible at times. In some spots someone trying to make a left will block traffic up 20 deep. There's cut though streets between the two lower schools. There's one exit out of this mess through a side street no one really takes. Probably because it dumps you out a few 100 ft before a light at a busy intersection. But if you are making a right it's really easy to get out. A left would be impossible. 90% of the time when the light turns red the last car before the intersection will let you in. Then there's the 10% who pull up and block the intersection. All the while not trying to make eye contact with you waiting for the light to turn. It's comical to watch them squirm if you stare.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Then there's the 10% who pull up and block the intersection. All the while not trying to make eye contact with you waiting for the light to turn. It's comical to watch them squirm if you stare.

I can't explain it, but I have noticed that the vast majority of the time when people ignore me and don't let me in (ie, move up to fill a gap at a red light for no reason whatsoever...) it's a woman. I tracked it for a while at one gas station that's hard to get out of.

11 of the 13 people who moved up were women. Also the person behind them that let me in were almost always men.

Small sample size, I know but it confirmed what I "felt" was happening.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The car behind immediately pulled up on the left. So I moved up to be able to se on coming cars. She pulled up more blocking me again.

There's a solution to that. Roll down the window, stick out arm and hand with middle finger extended. The kid in the back seat will learn a valuable driving lesson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around here I am seeing something more often: Two cars go through a stop sign at once. One spot on my way to work I see at least one instance every day. And there are usually only 2 or 3 cars waiting, so there really is no time to get impatient. A few weeks ago, I saw a marked police SUV do it.

Is this a thing anywhere else?
Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There's a solution to that. Roll down the window, stick out arm and hand with middle finger extended. The kid in the back seat will learn a valuable driving lesson.

So would have the kid in her front seat.

My kids call that waving to another driver. They saw two people arguing one morning and one party gave the other one the finger. They immediately asked what was going on and what's that guy doing with his hand. Oh nothing, probably just waving to a friend. So when my kids tell me someone just waved at us I don't know if it's someone we know or an angry driver.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
The intersection where it really is a pain and you can see the good in people or the terrible in people is

For me it's the people who will let you in when turning onto a busy street vs those who ignore you. The traffic around my kids schools is a mess. Making a left is virtually impossible at times. In some spots someone trying to make a left will block traffic up 20 deep. There's cut though streets between the two lower schools. There's one exit out of this mess through a side street no one really takes. Probably because it dumps you out a few 100 ft before a light at a busy intersection. But if you are making a right it's really easy to get out. A left would be impossible. 90% of the time when the light turns red the last car before the intersection will let you in. Then there's the 10% who pull up and block the intersection. All the while not trying to make eye contact with you waiting for the light to turn. It's comical to watch them squirm if you stare.

I am situational on letting people in. If the line has been waiting forever for a red and you just got to the parking lot exit and want in, I am not likely to let you in, you can wait till the next cycle. If you have waited a cycle, I'll prob let one in, but not all of the cars waiting to get out of the lot. I also won't block the intersection so people can turn left.

What drives me fuckin nuts is when you have waited for the same light once or twice now, it finally turns green and some goddamn traffic director in front wants to earn their brownie points for the day, and stops while the light is green to let the parking lot empty out in front of them. Ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slight variation at one of the exits to our local shopping center... the access/egress to/from the lot is striped for 3 lanes: 1 incoming and 2 outgoing, 1 for turning left and 1 for turning right (no option to go straight). Naturally, the left exit tends to back up worse since you have to wait for the cross traffic to clear in both directions vs only 1, but what totally screws the pooch is when some dufus lines up in the middle of both exit lanes when waiting to make a left turn so everybody who wants to exit to the right (and would have a clear window to do so) is stuck waiting anyway for a clearing going the other way too.
Quote Reply
Re: bad driving etiquette [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and my biggest driving pet peeve of all: When someone is decelerating to move over into a dedicated turn lane (typically left), but instead of getting the fuck over relatively sharply and then slowing down, they just eeeeeaase over on a gradual diagonal all the way to the stop line at the end of the turn lane while they're slowing down, so they continue to block the through lane the entire time. FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!
Quote Reply