Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Autonomous vehicles are about to do that within a decade or sooner.
Got any more cliches?

There are more effective and efficient ways to kill large numbers of people indiscriminately. Guns are used in these types of situations to create attention and fear. I sincerely believe that taking away the attention is the most effective way to reduce these types of attacks, but with instant media and a lack of journalistic integrity, we're going further into the problem rather than moving closer to a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You keep citing only gun murders which is totally missing the entire point.

People use other things to kill.

Seems that France has a murder rate of 1.6 per 100,000 vs 4.9 for the USA. So not only does France have a significantly lower murder rate, but the proportion of gun murders is significantly lower as well.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Seems that France has a murder rate of 1.6 per 100,000 vs 4.9 for the USA. So not only does France have a significantly lower murder rate, but the proportion of gun murders is significantly lower as well.

Exactly.

America has a murder problem, not a gun problem.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't conflate deaths. lol. You're over hear conflating all gun deaths with mass shootings, and telling me not to conflate deaths. OK.

Let's say there are about 33,000 gun deaths in America per year. Are mass shootings far and away the leading contributor to those deaths?

No. Suicide is the leading contributor of gun deaths in America. Suicide accounts for about two thirds of those deaths by shooting.

Of the remaining one third of American shooting deaths, only a very small minority is attributable to mass shootings. It's mostly inner city violence.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a point here, even if I think there can be more done to address the problem of gun violence in this country. What kills me is the immediate aftermath of tragedies and terrorist acts like this one in LV, supposedly "peace-loving" people calling for swift action against guns, yet those same people not decrying the warhawk politics of someone like Hillary Clinton.

vitus979 wrote:
How about you just admit to what everyone can plainly see- you're just flat wrong.

There have been and will continue to be mass killings carried out by means other than firearms. They can be and have been just as deadly as shootings. They don't require anymore planning or expertise.

I love how some people get spun up about mass shootings, but don't particularly care about mass killings.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Exactly.

Or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Exactly.

Yep. Perhaps if we just banned heroine and cocaine, we would stop those direct deaths and the associated gang deaths surrounding them.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The vast majority of murders are gang related and mostly black men killing other black men with firearms purchased and/or possessed illegally.

I fail to see how restricting my ownership of firearms is going to do anything about that.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
The vast majority of murders are gang related and mostly black men killing other black men with firearms purchased and/or possessed illegally.

I fail to see how restricting my ownership of firearms is going to do anything about that.

I’m agreeing with you....sarcasm lost.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
Duffy wrote:

No, i was just reiterating your point.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
dry heat wrote:
Duffy wrote:

No, i was just reiterating your point.
👍🏼
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And how many suicides would be prevented if gun access was significantly reduced or removed altogether? How many innercity murders would be more like stabbings or beatings? We can debate this til the cows come home.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
And how many suicides would be prevented if gun access was significantly reduced or removed altogether? How many innercity murders would be more like stabbings or beatings? We can debate this til the cows come home.

Likely zero. Maybe more unsuccessful attempts.

Criminals will still have guns. Unless you want to talk about a border wall as well, and that would only slow it down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can debate this til the cows come home.

Longer, if you keep moving goalposts like that.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:

Maybe more unsuccessful attempts.

Big difference statistically.

Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
It would take a few generations to work its way through society, but stop glorifying guns through media (TV, movies, video games).

I fully support the 2nd amendment, and I think there are too many guns out there. However, I also believe the vast majority of gun owners do so legally. Just basing this on myself and those I personally know who own guns.
This please. I’m young, and in many parts of my life in naive and stupid. But I think this is a huge part of the equation. Go watch video game players on YouTube, or any fictional show on at 9:00 at night. Go walk around a public high school and listen to the “jokes” and comments made by people about guns and murder. I’m not one to start screeching for safe spaces by I am inclined to advocate for a little moral recalibration of our society. It’s to the point where i find the current situation absolutely sickening.

I’m 18 years old, and have several guns. They’ve been “mine,” for a few years, but only after I went through an 8 or 12 week hunters and gun safety course. They’ve stayed locked up, as well as the ammo, because that’s the responsible way to do it.

I’m entirely a 2a supporter. What i’m not is an idiot supporter. And I believe one of the first steps is more of a focus on the views and beliefs and values of our society.
Quote Reply
Re: A gun ban is not going to happen, so how would you reduce the number of guns out there? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Interesting article on the topic.... https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.90b65325edee
Quote Reply

Prev Next