Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Police drones with deadly weapons
Quote | Reply
Re. the Las Vegas shooting. It's pretty unrealistic to attempt to defend an event, in an urban environment, against a lone sniper unless you have the Secret Service and the FBI to call upon. I can imagine that a couple yrs down the road the military will have small drones capable of deadly force. Not big-ass things with Helfire missiles, I mean little things that would hover a couple hundred feet up unnoticed. The military versions would probably fire some kind of small anti-personnel rocket. HE or AP (armor piercing) warhead. A little guided rocket could be made much lighter than a rifle sort of weapon. A couple years later, they'd show up for police duty, with the AP warhead replaced with something less penetrating.

Then the event could pay for a police anti-sniper drone just like they pay for additional police security for their event. I'm not talking autonomous, mind you. We can't have Skynet deciding whether to bring deadly force to bear. Then, in the unlikely event that a sniper has picked that event to attempt a massacre, the anti-sniper drone could, aided by acoustics, zip over within range and take out the bad guy in seconds.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A year or two ago I saw a youtube video of a guy that put a 45 onto a drone and could fire it remotely. I would be surprised if some of these were not already in action somewhere, at least in the Middle East?

Real question about drones to me is the bad guys.How long before someone straps some C4 to one and flies it into a football or soccer stadium. These things have to be on the work tables of just about every bomb maker trying to do damage for the cause. Gonna be impossible to stop for awhile too, they will strike without much warning..
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
A year or two ago I saw a youtube video of a guy that put a 45 onto a drone and could fire it remotely. I would be surprised if some of these were not already in action somewhere, at least in the Middle East?

Real question about drones to me is the bad guys.How long before someone straps some C4 to one and flies it into a football or soccer stadium. These things have to be on the work tables of just about every bomb maker trying to do damage for the cause. Gonna be impossible to stop for awhile too, they will strike without much warning..

Yes, they are already an issue in the Middle East and the US is trying to figure out how to cope with that threat
https://www.nytimes.com/...gon-experiments.html[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hijack for a minute, I really want a drone! We recently put our house on the market and the sales team hired a professional photographer to come shoot the house. He used a drone as part of his shoot to get some video and photos, pretty cool watching him operate. Said he lost 2 $1500 drones in the water when he started learning how to use it for his shoots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Israel is developing/using exactly the drone you speak of.

http://www.defenseone.com/...machine-guns/139199/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

That's a really good point. Ok, what will automated drone defense systems look like? Laser based, I'd bet. The early days of that will be a tough decade for big birds.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as drones go, the major manufacturers like DJI have software that prevents them being used in restricted airspace. Maybe they could be hacked, but it isn't something simple. If the bad guys are that smart, then there would be a lot more successful attacks to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

That's a really good point. Ok, what will automated drone defense systems look like? Laser based, I'd bet. The early days of that will be a tough decade for big birds.

No need for billion dollar laser systems. Nature has already perfected this. Trained hawks. Doubles as rodent control.

Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

No need for billion dollar laser systems. Nature has already perfected this. Trained hawks. Doubles as rodent control.

The Dutch are working on using raptors for drone control. https://www.nytimes.com/...e/drones-eagles.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of my colleagues are working on this technology. It's more difficult than you might expect. When a weapon is fired, there is significant kickback which destabilizes the drone, making accurate targeting difficult. Firing weapons off of a multi-ton aircraft is much easier than firing them from a 3 pound drone (in terms of aircraft destabilizing forces, that is)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad idea for LE to have this type of tool. They can barely handle the proper use of flash bangs.
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re. Recoil. That's why I suggested some kind of micro-missile weapon instead of a gun.

Re. cops aren't up to the task, Can't hardly handle flashbangs. So create a small elite group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Squad!

Re. username hank rearden. Lol, clever.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Oct 3, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my DJI III Pro. The camera is impressive.

State Farm has a policy that covers drones. Not sure how good it is but it wasn't expensive when I added it to the personal items policy.

Their software prevents you from flying in certain restricted airspace. Which is a lot of areas here in the DC area. National Parks are a no fly zone. I couldn't get mine within a mile or so of Hatteras light house.
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
I love my DJI III Pro. The camera is impressive.

State Farm has a policy that covers drones. Not sure how good it is but it wasn't expensive when I added it to the personal items policy.

Their software prevents you from flying in certain restricted airspace. Which is a lot of areas here in the DC area. National Parks are a no fly zone. I couldn't get mine within a mile or so of Hatteras light house.
how difficult is it to learn and get comfortable flying one of these things? I can see myself dropping $1500 and completely fucking it up on the first flight.
Quote Reply
Re: Police drones with deadly weapons [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't find it that difficult to get used to it but I have had several hard landings.

One thing to remember is if you get nervous about where it is going then take your thumbs off of the controllers and it will just hover in place because of the gps.

I would also do a bunch of agility flying drills to get used to what can be done and develop control of the drone. For example in a field fly the drone around you in a circle keeping yourself in the center of the viewfinder. Or flying in figure eights. The more you practice those moves the easier they get.
Quote Reply