Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off-duty LE personnel injured in the Vegas shooting
Quote | Reply
Riverside Sheriff's Department - 1 Correctional Deputy injured (treated and released), 1 Deputy Sheriff shot and in critical condition

San Bernardino Sheriff's Department - 1 employee shot and at an area hospital

Bakersfield Police Department - Officer shot in the hip, suffered broken pelvis, is out of surgery and recovering

Orange County Sheriff's Department - 1 employee injured

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department - 2 employees shot, 1 in critical, 1 stable

Los Angeles Police Department - 1 Officer shot, expected to fully recover

Las Vegas LE agencies - I don't have the numbers. Heard at least 1 fatal.

It goes without saying they have to deal with the crap on-duty.......
Quote Reply
Re: Off-duty LE personnel injured in the Vegas shooting [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to minimize this, there were probably around 500 "off-duty" people injured (unless some of them were concert personnel working).

Some of them happened to be LE.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 2, 17 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: Off-duty LE personnel injured in the Vegas shooting [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And those were just the ones shot, probably 100's of guns were drawn and ready to fire at that concert, but with no where to point. At least I hope so, would be really sad if someone was actually shot outside the actual shooter.

Mass shootings are bad enough and quite confusing, this one had a whole new element to it with the shooter out of range and basically invisible to all fleeing. No doubt that I will find out some of my badged friends were at that concert also, Vegas is a usual stop from here for a weekend concert getaway..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why single out LEs? Is their safety more important than that of, say, medical personel? Or teachers? Were any of duty engineers injured?

The continuing peocupation with the idea that police lives are in some way more valuble, or worth mentioning more than everybody's elses is troubling. It seems to have originated with the police unions but post 9/11 the unions have managed to create a tenuous but unquestioned tie to patriotism.

America aleady has a serious problem with cops and other LEs held to a lower standard than the gen pop when it comes to 'justified' homocide. Adding this preocupation with singling them out as people we should care about above others, quite frankly, is starting to foster the opposite feeling.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Off-duty LE personnel injured in the Vegas shooting [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I don't mean to minimize this, there were probably around 500 "off-duty" people injured (unless some of them were concert personnel working).

Some of them happened to be LE.

First, I think that characterizing most people as "off-duty" just because they weren't at their jobs kind of misses the whole concept of duty. Someone working at Google is not on-duty when they're at their desks and off-duty when they go home.

Second, I feel certain that if anyone else has a cadre of people for which they know the numbers of potential victims, passing along that info would be met with positive and sympathetic reactions. If you work at Google, and you know of 10 fellow Google employees who were hurt, by all means, let us know. If you work as a fry-guy at McDonalds and heard of ten fellow McDonald's employees who were hurt, let us know. I feel sure you'd get sympathetic responses, and not an immediate shit-show of people complaining about why they were singled out.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Off-duty LE personnel injured in the Vegas shooting [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. x2.

Quote Reply