Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
j p o wrote:
We are trained monkeys. Trump rings the bell and we respond just like he wants. I cannot believe that people feel like they have to choose sides and fight over a bunch of young men quietly kneeling or standing together with their arms linked.

If you see the issue as "a bunch of young men quietly kneeling or standing together with their arms linked," then you probably don't understand why they're doing it, or why it's important to shine the spotlight on the president's behavior.

I have 15 years of posts on this forum. My politics are not hidden.

But today I see lifelong friends choosing up sides and fighting on Facebook. Many of those who were in the military think this was a personal insult directed straight at them. Others think those who don't like it have chosen to side with racists. Meanwhile we are dancing monkeys reacting exactly how Trump wanted.

I've seen this phrase many times recently and Trump seems to take it to heart. Chaos is a ladder.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"God Save the Queen" was also played in London yesterday and both teams stood for it.

As far as players taking the knee, as a veteran I don't agree with it but I also respect their right to do so.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Watching the Calgary and Saskatchewan game, I didn't notice anyone taking a knee nor any announcers talking about players taking a knee during the anthem. It's quite refreshing.

Maybe that's what the NFL needs. To play a different national anthem at every game to further confuse the dumb jocks.

Side question: Why was the US national anthem being played at the NFL game at Wembley stadium in, you know, England? What's up with that? NFL rule or something? Did they also play the UK national anthem?

not a direct reply to you nslckevin

Why are we playing the US national anthem at professional sporting events anyway? I believe the tradition started during the 1918 world series, during the tail end of WWI. There is no inextricable link between professional sports and patriotism.

I went to the symphony a few weeks ago - no national anthem, went to the movies last week - no national anthem, are these events any less "patriotic"?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
j p o wrote:
We are trained monkeys. Trump rings the bell and we respond just like he wants. I cannot believe that people feel like they have to choose sides and fight over a bunch of young men quietly kneeling or standing together with their arms linked.

If you see the issue as "a bunch of young men quietly kneeling or standing together with their arms linked," then you probably don't understand why they're doing it, or why it's important to shine the spotlight on the president's behavior.

I have 15 years of posts on this forum. My politics are not hidden.

But today I see lifelong friends choosing up sides and fighting on Facebook. Many of those who were in the military think this was a personal insult directed straight at them. Others think those who don't like it have chosen to side with racists. Meanwhile we are dancing monkeys reacting exactly how Trump wanted.

I've seen this phrase many times recently and Trump seems to take it to heart. Chaos is a ladder.

First of all, does it matter if we're reacting the way Trump wants? We're reacting the way we should, regardless of whether Trump wants it that way or not.

But what I see here is that the issue of silent protest against a perceived injustice is now everyone's topic of conversation. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I understand that you're saying that Trump sees a way to gain power through riling up his base, or even through creating civil strife, but I'm not convinced that it really plays to his advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Side question: Why was the US national anthem being played at the NFL game at Wembley stadium in, you know, England?

I figured it was because they always play the anthem of country of all the teams. In professional sports, when a U.S team is playing in Canada, they play both anthems.

I would guess they played the UK anthem too but I don't know.

Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
j p o wrote:

Well said.

+2

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:

I understand that you're saying that Trump sees a way to gain power through riling up his base, or even through creating civil strife, but I'm not convinced that it really plays to his advantage.

It doesn't matter if it plays to his advantage. He is just a sick f*ck that likes watching people turn against each other.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

It doesn't matter if it plays to his advantage. He is just a sick f*ck that likes watching people turn against each other.

Or it could be Trump has never had the opportunity to be a normal everyday, beer swilling Joe who is free to spout his ridiculous and ill-informed opinions and the foolishness doesn't spread beyond earshot. Now that he's El Presidente he thinks he can say whatever he wants without retribution, and he's trying to act like a normal everyday, beer-swilling Joe.

ETA: I think everyone, from both sides of any Trump debate or argument can agree, Trump only says what he thinks will serve himself. He could give two shits about anyone else.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Sep 25, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Or it could be Trump has never had the opportunity to be a normal everyday, beer swilling Joe who is free to spout his ridiculous and ill-informed opinions and the foolishness doesn't spread beyond earshot. Now that he's El Presidente he thinks he can say whatever he wants without retribution, and he's trying to act like a normal everyday, beer-swilling Joe.

ETA: I think everyone, from both sides of any Trump debate or argument can agree, Trump only says what he thinks will serve himself. He could give two shits about anyone else.

Most presidents don't really care about anyone else. You have to be a special kind of sociopath in order to actively seek that job.

But this idiocy -- ON BOTH SIDES -- is rapidly spinning out of control. And it's increasingly become a zero sum game for the warring camps:

Former Steelers fans are burning their Steelers shirts and gear.
Fans have posted numerous videos on social media of themselves burning their Steelers gear.
"I'm a lifelong Steelers fan, not anymore. Not a fan of you, the NFL, any of it," says Jim Heaney on YouTube.
Heaney posted the video of himself setting all of his Steelers gear on fire following the team’s decision to decide to stay inside the locker room/tunnel during the national anthem.
"And I hope all your ignorance burns too," Heaney says as he throws his Steelers gear on the fire.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
mck414 wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Most presidents don't really care about anyone else. You have to be a special kind of sociopath in order to actively seek that job.

But this idiocy -- ON BOTH SIDES -- is rapidly spinning out of control. And it's increasingly become a zero sum game for the warring camps:

Fans have posted numerous videos on social media of themselves burning their Steelers gear.
"I'm a lifelong Steelers fan, not anymore. Not a fan of you, the NFL, any of it," says Jim Heaney on YouTube.
Heaney posted the video of himself setting all of his Steelers gear on fire following the team’s decision to decide to stay inside the locker room/tunnel during the national anthem.
"And I hope all your ignorance burns too," Heaney says as he throws his Steelers gear on the fire.

Do you really believe this? While I am sure there are President's that fall into this category I don't think all do. I would not consider George Bush, a more recent example, to be either a sociopath or someone who does not care about someone else. Nor would I consider Jimmy Carter to be either.
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
mck414 wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

Do you really believe this? While I am sure there are President's that fall into this category I don't think all do. I would not consider George Bush, a more recent example, to be either a sociopath or someone who does not care about someone else. Nor would I consider Jimmy Carter to be either.

All modern-day presidents -- going back to FDR -- are sociopathic to one degree or another, and I really don't trust any of them. But you have to be that way in order to put yourself through the gauntlet necessary to obtain and then maintain that position. I don't hold that against them, either, and in order to satisfy their sociopathic need for recognition and influence many of them have done good, even great, things. I have no problem with that as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In total, 200 NFL players -- 23 percent of the league -- chose to protest the flag/anthem. Fine with me, and I'm sure most reasonable people would say "Well, it's their right to protest."

My only observation as to that is to question why it's also not Steeler Alejandro Villanueva's right to NOT protest and come out to stand for the anthem? Why are the Steelers attempting a little public shaming?

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin appeared to take swipe at the Bronze Star recipient's decision in a post-game press conference. Tomlin told the media that, prior to kickoff Sunday, the Steelers held a team meeting and decided, though not unanimously, to not come out of the locker room for the national anthem.

"Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team," Tomlin said when asked about Villanueva ignoring the order and coming out for the anthem.

NFL national anthem flap sees Steelers coach Mike Tomlin rap Alejandro Villanueva, while his jersey sales soar | Fox News

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
In total, 200 NFL players -- 23 percent of the league -- chose to protest the flag/anthem. Fine with me, and I'm sure most reasonable people would say "Well, it's their right to protest."

My only observation as to that is to question why it's also not Steeler Alejandro Villanueva's right to NOT protest and come out to stand for the anthem? Why are the Steelers attempting a little public shaming?

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin appeared to take swipe at the Bronze Star recipient's decision in a post-game press conference. Tomlin told the media that, prior to kickoff Sunday, the Steelers held a team meeting and decided, though not unanimously, to not come out of the locker room for the national anthem.

"Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team," Tomlin said when asked about Villanueva ignoring the order and coming out for the anthem.

NFL national anthem flap sees Steelers coach Mike Tomlin rap Alejandro Villanueva, while his jersey sales soar | Fox News

Maybe a little more focus on the bears and a little less focus on who is/is not out for the anthem and they wouldn't have lost to the 0-2 bears?
Quote Reply
Re: Jaguars, Ravens Take a Knee During Anthem, Steelers Stay in Locker Room [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Maybe a little more focus on the bears and a little less focus on who is/is not out for the anthem and they wouldn't have lost to the 0-2 bears?

Very true. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next