Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sincerely glad you're not my doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:

Really? That may just be the stupidest article on the interwebs. To wit:

"According to statistics, there are 500,000 football related injuries, 25% of them including concussion, while there are over 2.6 million automobile accidents each year, with approximately the same percentage of concussion."

Do you understand that sentence?
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're kidding, right?

In 2016, the NFL pledged $100 million in support for independent medical research and engineering advancements in neuroscience related topics. This is in addition to the $100 million that the NFL and its partners are already spending on medical and neuroscience research.

I know you're a big NFL fan but that sounds a lot like how the tobacco industry used to talk when they were accused of turning a blind eye to the effects of smoking. In fact, there was a good article looking at exactly that,

https://www.nytimes.com/...esearch-tobacco.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
spudone wrote:
SH wrote:
sphere wrote:
Sort of muddies the water a bit in terms of absolute culpability for violent behavior.

http://www.cnn.com/...andez-cte/index.html

I'm not sure we want to say that this muddies his culpability. That's a rabbit hole.
However, we definitely want to add Hernadez's violent behavior to the long list of violent "coincidences" associated with CTE. Especially as we consider our tolerance for sports that lead to it.

Lame Wikipedia entry on symptoms:

Second-stage symptoms include memory loss, social instability, impulsive behavior, such as becoming a mass murderer (see Aaron Hernandez), and poor judgment.

Sorry but I'm gonna call that a bunch of garbage. Yes, Hernandez had impulse control issues. No, that doesn't account for premeditated murder.

Yeah, it's a little hard to blame premeditation on impulse control.

Not to mention he was almost certainly involved in a 2007 double shooting at a club outside of Gainesville, FL, which was his freshman year at Florida and 3 years before he entered the NFL. But, I'm sure it was the NFL's fault he turned into a murderer.

He was completely cleared of this in March of this year after the witness admitted he never saw Hernandez there and the shooter was actually African-American.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
spudone wrote:
SH wrote:
sphere wrote:
Sort of muddies the water a bit in terms of absolute culpability for violent behavior.

I'm not sure we want to say that this muddies his culpability. That's a rabbit hole.
However, we definitely want to add Hernadez's violent behavior to the long list of violent "coincidences" associated with CTE. Especially as we consider our tolerance for sports that lead to it.

Second-stage symptoms include memory loss, social instability, impulsive behavior, such as becoming a mass murderer (see Aaron Hernandez), and poor judgment.

Sorry but I'm gonna call that a bunch of garbage. Yes, Hernandez had impulse control issues. No, that doesn't account for premeditated murder.

Not to mention he was almost certainly involved in a 2007 double shooting at a club outside of Gainesville, FL, which was his freshman year at Florida and 3 years before he entered the NFL. But, I'm sure it was the NFL's fault he turned into a murderer.

He was completely cleared of this in March of this year after the witness admitted he never saw Hernandez there and the shooter was actually African-American.

Yep. Hernandez is clearly a white hispanic
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
You're kidding, right?

In 2016, the NFL pledged $100 million in support for independent medical research and engineering advancements in neuroscience related topics. This is in addition to the $100 million that the NFL and its partners are already spending on medical and neuroscience research.

I know you're a big NFL fan but that sounds a lot like how the tobacco industry used to talk when they were accused of turning a blind eye to the effects of smoking. In fact, there was a good article looking at exactly that,

The NFL is a professional football league, its not football. Aaron Hernandez played as many games in college as the NFL and also played offense and defense in high school where equipment is suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
spudone wrote:

Exactly! The guy had a violent history going all the way back to his childhood. Trying to hang all his problems on CTE and the NFL is stupid given his history.

Speaking of stupid, who here has attempted to hang "all" his problems on CTE or the NFL? Clearly he was a thug long before, but when you see how CTE has manifest itself in previously well-respected and community-minded NFL stars like Junior Seau and Dave Duerson, it's not such a stretch to think that a thug like AH developing CTE is like throwing more gas on a fire.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
SH wrote:
sphere wrote:

Actually we don't. He was in gangs long before college or professional football. He grew up as a violent kid. He doesn't get to use this excuse. (Except for maybe the reason he killed himself)

Well, this thread certainly isn't about Hernandez using this as an excuse. The dude's dead.

I think the issue a lot of us have with his story is that it isn't even remotely rational. Yes, he came from a gang. I got it. At the same time he also recently signed a $40 million dollar contract extension with the Patriots. That's usually not the time you START killing people -- even if you do have a checkered past.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
You're kidding, right?

Being an NFL fan has nothing to do with it. How can you possibly say they are turning a blind eye?

Are you really comparing the NFL to the tobacco industry? Really?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:
spudone wrote:
SH wrote:
sphere wrote:

Oh, you mean the witness who law enforcement firmly believed was tampered with? Oh ... ok ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean the witness who said the opposite of everybody else... but hey you know better because you're a lawyer. So I'll let you go on your little I know better trip. Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I mean the witness who said the opposite of everybody else... but hey you know better because you're a lawyer. So I'll let you go on your little I know better trip. Have fun.

He didn't. But, don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.

Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Hernandez was (if accurate) one of many hundreds of football players with CTE. Yet we don't hear about all those others killing 4-5 people.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a stretch to say that CTE caused Hernandez to become a murdered, but it might not be a stretch to suggest it contributed. CTE effectively rewires the brain and in manifests itself in people in different ways. There is absolutely NO DOUBT that subconcussive repetitive contacts to the head causes CTE, no doubt at all. CTE however doesn't always result in behavioral changes, but its highly likely a contributing factor. The science is ongoing, but there are known knowns about CTE and we do know with a fact what non contact sport brains look like vs. a brain of a former NFL player and they are definitely NOT the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
sphere wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Hernandez was (if accurate) one of many hundreds of football players with CTE. Yet we don't hear about all those others killing 4-5 people.

Tens of thousands of people live with PTSD. Hundreds or thousands of people commit murder annually. Not every person with PTSD commits murder, and not every murder suffers from PTSD. That doesn't mean that PTSD doesn't play a factor when someone who suffers from it commits murder.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Football and boxing are going to go the way of other gladiator-type sports -- meaning bye-bye -- if this keeps up.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Aaron Hernandez had CTE [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Watown wrote:
Perseus wrote:
I think most of the people who will not allow their children to play football didn't play football themselves. These parents hear about concussions and believe that every football player has them on a regular basis. Statistically woman's HS soccer has nearly the same concussion rate as HS football. I'm all for taking care of your brain and if my child had concussion issues they wouldn't be playing football. With only 2% of HS athletes getting NCAA scholarships most football have short careers. I played football from peewees through my second year of college and the only concussion I ever received was from a bike crash.

Sure, but is it the concussions that are the problem, or is it the repeated sub-concussive impacts?

Many people are surprised to hear that there have been cases of CTE discovered in athletes who have never been diagnosed with a concussion. This revelation has spurred some scientists to look at other types of brain trauma as a possible cause of CTE. Currently, the best available evidence suggests that subconcussive impacts, not concussions, are the driving force behind CTE.
https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/subconcussive-impacts

See also: Dave Mirra

http://www.espn.com/...-mirra-diagnosed-cte

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next