Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I start swimming fly when there are n lanes and the (n+1)-st swimmer arrives on deck.

EDIT - I see all the other confessions are about driving. I'll show myself out.

X2

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just pull out in front of my neighbours and see if the brakes on their trucks still work. So far, so good. No, really does this need to be in pink?
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I'm a little more forgiving in these situations now because I've been driving in some unfamiliar routes recently. When you don't know where you are these roads that suddenly convert from 3 lanes to 2 lanes can be a dangerous PITA. We also have roads here where suddenly your lane magically turns into a turn only lane. If you're unfamiliar with the road and it's rush hour there can already be a line built up to try and get back over to the "go straight" lane. Everyone just assumes you're an aggressive asshole, when you're just lost or unlucky.

How about this: While I understand the p.o.v. of the IMWI Spectator, and have been the Sorry, Not From Around Here driver referred to above, it drives me crazy that people jam their way out of a very long merge lane into a pretty much static through lane vs just riding the merge lane to the end and doing the almost-seamless zipper with cars that are rolling. Those dumb Jammers end up futher jamming the through lane while simultaneously blocking the Needs to Merge lane. It's pretty stupid to have lanes of jammed traffic with a completely empty 1 or 2 lanes adjacent when these lanes are not coned as Do Not Use.

Run the seamless zipper, people! And don't be the D-bag who won't let 1 car in. However, go ahead and block the 2nd person - they should recognize it's 1 car (zipper tooth) at a time.

Also: Use your blinkers, put the f*cking phone down, and don't throw shit out the windows, you gross smoking jerk!

<thanks, I feel better now>

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Sep 22, 17 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but you are the POS asshole in this situation.

I agree with Tsunami on this one, and studies have shown that the zipper merge is the most efficient way to handle lane closures/endings.

You do not have the right to be the the lane/traffic Nazi and block/impede a legally open lane of traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
Most of the main roads around here (Phoenix area) are 3 lanes each way. In light traffic I consider it bad form to take the right lane at a stoplight if you are not planning a right turn, but I seem to be the exception.

There is apparently a little known law here that left turn drivers must pull into the nearest lane, which leaves the outside lanes open for right turners from the other direction. Many, if not most, left turners tend to drift lazily into the outside lane though. I've been known to assert my "right" to the outside lane on my right turn against a green arrow left...which has been met with a noted lack of appreciation from some of the left turners.

Arizona and NC have the same rule about turning. Left turn into inside lane and right turn into outside lane. Most NC drivers are oblivious. Seen a lot of close calls where the person turning left was going for it pretty much knowing the person turning right was also going wide for that inside lane. My wife is guilty of going into whatever lane she damn well pleases. New driver in the house is taking cues from Mom. I keep having to tell her what the NC rules are (all while still being a defensive driver) and ignore Mom . I figure if she can't keep it in the correct lane, she's cornering too fast. Interestingly, California and Florida driver manuals say you can make a left into any lane you want but have to turn right into the outside lane. I looked all these up so I had a basis to try and slow the kid down.
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate the zipper merge?
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
To get home I travel through a relatively high-traffic area by a hospital. About 300 yards from a light the street narrows from 3 lanes to 2. When I sense an aggressive driver behind me (what does that even mean?!?!) I do this thing where I will drive just slow enough to encourage a pass but without enough room to actually allow it before the lane narrows to 2. So the car will get over and then get right back over. The best is when the aggressive driver is forced to stop and consequently loses their place behind me because cars are fairly bunched up so the gap between cars closes quickly....

I do this. Lately my thing is bumping into people walking with their head buried in their phone.
I don't bump but walk directly in front on them, especially when they are walking in the wrong direction. I sometimes barge in between people (especially women) meandering four abreast in the small or on a path.
Whenever I find myself behind a car that is going super slow in a transition lane and holding up traffic, I will block and honk stopping the driver from merging into another lane. Usually females who hug the streering wheels do this shit. I also honk at anyone I see on a cell phone tapping the brake while driving to give them something to really hit the brake about. Holding a phone to the mouth is the same as it being on the ear. Put that damn thing down people!

Quote | Reply
This thread is a....

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: This jerk-ish thing I do (that others probably do too) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When all the lanes have one swimmer each I always get in the lane with the person swimming fly. Since they are such a good swimmer they are used to swimming with more than one person in the lane. Pink.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next