Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
If a Manhattan was basic, everyone would make them correctly.... and sadly, a large majority of places I order one it's all wrong.

I ordered a Manhattan recently and the bar tender asked me how to make it. I told him I changed my mind and I'll have bourbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Cuba Libre. Its the national drink of Cuba. Rum, coke and a slice of lime. You should try one some time (preferably in Cuba:-)

I did partake in a few of those on my trip. Every day around 3, my friend and I would get a bottle of rum, a nice cigar, sit out somewhere by the water and relax for an hour or two enjoying those, and shoot the shit with one another. The sweet rum, smoke, and hot, balmy weather were perfect compliments to one another.

That being said, I was a little disappointed in the rum selection. Pretty much Havana Club and nothing else. Nothing I can't get at home, but it was half as much as it is here.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
You already have Caipirinha on your list which I would've thought would be too sweet for your taste ?

Too sweet? Then they aren't making them right.

Current fave - Jack and Coke slushee that a few of the bars here have.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Leddy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Leddy wrote:
The rose colored one is the version I might be able to find local. thanks

I have Benedictine, I mix it with bourbon I like for a B&B.

A B&B is brandy and Benedictine

I read this 3 times thinking why is he restating what I said about a B&B. Then I really read what I wrote. Dam it.

You guys are all wrong. B & B is a Brandy and Babycham.

May God have mercy upon your soul
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
The only mixed drink I make with any regularity is a Manhattan. Once in a while I make a Old Fashioned or a Margarita.

This thread will exapnd your horizons
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Cuba Libre. Its the national drink of Cuba. Rum, coke and a slice of lime. You should try one some time (preferably in Cuba:-)

At least Andrew made his basic drink fancy. Five points from Canada.

But...but...I use genuine Cuban rum.

immaterial
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I'm not much of a mixed drink person (whiskey neat please!) but one that my wife and I got hooked on for a while after visiting St. Croix was a Bushwacker - equal parts Kahlua, Baileys, Amaretto, vodka and coconut run blended with cream of coconut and a little crushed ice. Haven't made one in years but it was quite good.

All inclusive drinks is a separate category... grasshoppers and coco loco
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Tatonka wrote:
If a Manhattan was basic, everyone would make them correctly.... and sadly, a large majority of places I order one it's all wrong.

I ordered a Manhattan recently and the bar tender asked me how to make it. I told him I changed my mind and I'll have bourbon.

I would have asked why they had a job
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I did partake in a few of those on my trip. Every day around 3, my friend and I would get a bottle of rum, a nice cigar, sit out somewhere by the water and relax for an hour or two enjoying those, and shoot the shit with one another. The sweet rum, smoke, and hot, balmy weather were perfect compliments to one another.

That being said, I was a little disappointed in the rum selection. Pretty much Havana Club and nothing else. Nothing I can't get at home, but it was half as much as it is here.

Evidently Puerto Rico and Dominican would give you better selection of run, with less stain on your soul
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably more variety from other countries, but don't get me wrong, there was absolutely nothing bad about the higher end Havana Clubs. I thought they were fantastic, I was just expecting more variety. I've got around 1 or 2 drinks left of the 1L bottle of 7 year I brought home in May.

As for cigars I have yet to try a Dominican cigar that I enjoy as much as a few of my favourite Cubans, although I am far from an connoisseur in that respect.

I really don't have any more or less strain on my soul from enjoying products from either Cuba, PR or DR.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question. Hour or so from kick off on one of these. If I can't find rye acceptible to sub a good bourbon ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
absolutely. Rye, IMO, is a peppery version of Bourbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt_Stimpson wrote:
Tatonka wrote:

This, a million times over...a well made Manhatten is nearly impossible to beat in my opinion and difficult to find. I prefer a "2 1 3" Manhatten: 2 ounces of rye whiskey, 1 ounce of sweet vermouth, and 3 dashes of bitters. I also make a "homemade" Luxardo cherry that I use as a garnish.

I do not know much about vermouths, and I want to experiment with different brands, aside from the more common ones I find in our grocery. Early this year I had reason to purchase a bottle of Cocchi Americano Rosa, which is very sweet vermouthish. Since I had about half a bottle left over from its intended purpose, I substituted it in for sweet vermouth in my Manhatten. It was delicious, and while still very much like a Manhatten, it was lighter bodied.

Matt
+1

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give this a try. One of my favorites and local! Bevmo carries it.

https://quadywinery.com/wines/vya/

Re: Favorite not basic mixed drinks [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Give this a try. One of my favorites and local! Bevmo carries it.

https://quadywinery.com/wines/vya/

Good Price Point, too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next