Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TSA as Security Theater
Quote | Reply
The Transportation Security Administration, which is an agency of the Department of Homeland Security, has been in active operation for 15 or so years, and I was involved with airline security both before its advent -- back in the days when airlines contracted with private screening companies to operate airport security checkpoints -- as well as since it's come online. I've also studied it for years, both academically and professionally. So how effective is TSA?

I'm being honest when I say this: It's really not all that clear to me just how much TSA's methods and activities are protecting the traveling public.

For one, the Government Accountability Office and its inspection reports have been consistently critical of TSA's methods and practices, and GAO has issued a series of stinging reports over the years (including in 2015, 2016 and 2017) as to the agency's effectiveness.

For example, in a 2015 investigation undercover agents from GAO (and possibly DHS inspector general offices, though DHS and TSA have obscured this by claiming that such investigations are "SSI" or "Security Sensitive Information") succeeded in getting weapons past TSA airport checkpoint security screeners an astounding 67 out of 70 times.

Also, TSA checkpoint security screeners at the Minneapolis-St. Paul international airport recently failed to detect 95-percent of prohibited items placed into test luggage by undercover TSA investigators working as part of what's called a "red team." In the tests, red team members were able to successfully sneak explosive materials, fake weapons and drugs through checkpoints on 17 out of 18 test runs.

TSA maintains that this success rate doesn't necessarily mean that 95-percent of all prohibited items would make it through security, because TSA red teams are highly skilled at being able to detect weaknesses in security. For what it's worth, so are trained terrorists and non-state terror groups, both of which would spend a great deal of time observing security checkpoints for weaknesses before attempting to penetrate security. At any rate, TSA red team operatives placed prohibited items into luggage, all of which go through X-ray machines, at minimum, and possibly are also screened using explosive trace detection (ETD) machines. Even a normal level of attentiveness on the part of TSA agents should have caught these items.

I've manned those X-ray machines (through which travelers' carry-on luggage passes), magnetometers (through which travelers themselves pass) and explosive trace detection machines (where luggage is subjected to additional testing and scrutiny). You have to work hard to miss 67 out of 70 travelers and/or pieces of carry-on luggage hiding or containing a weapon of some sort.

In this regard, private checkpoint security companies perform at rates similar to or better than TSA, something we know from studying their performance at large airports where TSA has granted waivers allowing those facilities to employ private contractors to handle security checkpoints.

In addition, one security design firm that contracted with TSA to provide services pointed out that the means and manner by which standard TSA security checkpoints operate actually hurt security procedures. This was because the procedures TSA insisted on gave all travelers a heightened sense of anxiety that made them appear as if they were themselves terrorists or drug smugglers.Travelers' behavior and demeanor changed, in other words, making them appear to TSA behavior detection officers (BDO) as if they had something to hide.

In my own security observational studies of TSA I used to refer to this as the "TSA treats everyone as if they're criminals Effect." Think of how much more difficult it is to pick an object out in turbulent waters versus calm, clear waters. If everyone is walking through an airport checkpoint security station being treated as if they're a criminal or a terrorist -- with they themselves sweating and nervous as a result of their treatment -- it will become much more difficult to pick out the ones who actually are criminals and terrorists.

So are you any safer today -- when going through a TSA airport security checkpoint -- than you were pre 9/11, at least as far as air transportation is concerned (TSA also has responsibility for train and other forms of mass public transportation, including cruise ships, by the way)? It's hard to say. TSA and DHS and their supporters like to say that while the public misses (such as the ones I described above) garner all the headlines, we have no idea just how many plots or attempts have been stopped by the agency.

To me, this is a non-falsifiable statement on the part of TSA and others, given that all such data that could be produced to support that claim is supposedly classified to prevent the terrorist enemy from gleaning "sources and methods" from them. We also have reams of data and reports highlighting TSA shortcomings in baggage screening and a number of failures to prevent prohibited items such as guns, knives and explosives from making it onto airliners.

Fiscally, what sort of "bang for our buck" are we getting from TSA? The federal agency's FY 2017 budget was projected to be $7.6 billion. Are we receiving billions and billions of dollars more in security protection and peace of mind from TSA than we were before the agency's creation? I'm not so sure.

EXCLUSIVE: Undercover DHS Tests Find Security Failures at US Airports - ABC News

U.S. GAO - Aviation Security: TSA Does Not Have Valid Evidence Supporting Most of the Revised Behavioral Indicators Used in Its Behavior Detection Activities

TSA Agents at Minneapolis Airport Failed 95% of Undercover Security Tests | Travel + Leisure

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just hire away the folks that do El Al's security and throw away the PC handbook.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Just hire away the folks that do El Al's security and throw away the PC handbook.

That ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes, sir. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff gets smuggled into maximum security prisons where they do a full body cavity search. It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's easy to contraband into airports. And prisons also show that you can make a weapon out of just about anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

That ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes, sir. ;-)

Well then they should stop wasting time and money on testing.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Stuff gets smuggled into maximum security prisons where they do a full body cavity search. It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's easy to contraband into airports. And prisons also show that you can make a weapon out of just about anything.

From my studies, and the studies of others, I would say that the locked cockpit door and a more aware and proactive traveling public has done more to ensure aircraft cabin security than almost anything else. There's also a cabin security search that's conducted when certain qualifying flights and planes are cleaned (planes remaining overnight at an airport, first flights of the day, planes coming in from or going out to international destinations, etc.).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly out of Logan tomorrow to CDG. I'm sure I will experience just how great/thorough they are. Its either going to be a complete shit show or a ghost town...

When I take an early flight out of MHT the ratio of TSA:passengers in line is close to 1:1...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand almost all physical security, in general, has an element of theater. By design.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 10, 17 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly fly out of the SE Michigan airports and TSA inspires zero confidence.

My sister-in-law works for TSA and she is fucking nuts, always has been, always will be. Anyplace that would hire her doesn't have high enough standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely theater. So is the secret service agent walking outside the presidential limo according to a friend in the know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest problem I see with the stupidity, is that the long lines with hundreds of people standing around waiting seem like an awfully soft target. It seems like they are creating as big of a security problem as they are trying to solve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I was thinking this before I even finished reading BK's post.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

From my studies, and the studies of others, I would say that the locked cockpit door and a more aware and proactive traveling public has done more to ensure aircraft cabin security than almost anything else. There's also a cabin security search that's conducted when certain qualifying flights and planes are cleaned (planes remaining overnight at an airport, first flights of the day, planes coming in from or going out to international destinations, etc.).

Minneapolis TSA agents are easily the most obese in the nation. Worst TSA agents in the country are at that airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever flown El Al? There is no way that I would accept that on every one of my flights. The risk just isn't that great for that level of inconvenience.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Minneapolis TSA agents are easily the most obese in the nation. Worst TSA agents in the country are at that airport.

Well, at least they have Al-Qaeda on the run. ;-)

Key & Peele - Al Qaeda Meeting - YouTube

Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
The biggest problem I see with the stupidity, is that the long lines with hundreds of people standing around waiting seem like an awfully soft target. It seems like they are creating as big of a security problem as they are trying to solve.

Same thing I've been saying for awhile. They starting have security checkpoints going into Disney parks too. I was like oh great make a spot where they can blow up a big group of people or easily shoot a big group of people. It's just a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA as Security Theater [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Same thing I've been saying for awhile. They starting have security checkpoints going into Disney parks too. I was like oh great make a spot where they can blow up a big group of people or easily shoot a big group of people. It's just a waste of time.

These are called 'soft targets'. All airport ticket counter areas, which is where security checkpoints are located, in addition to some on different floors (not lessening the fact they're soft targets in the least, either), are soft targets. And I can tell you that TSA doesn't know what to do about that, trusting to airport police and other agencies within DHS to worry about that aspect.

The 2016 Brussels, Belgium attack, which consisted of a subway (Metro) operation in addition to a suicide bombing of ticket counter areas at the Brussels airport, is one of the most recent examples of terrorists hitting air transportation soft targets. TSA and other-nation security services have no ready answer for how to prevent them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Transportation Security Administration, which is an agency of the Department of Homeland Security

The DHS was formed just before I moved to the U.S in March 2002. I kept hearing how the "super department" was going to make Americans safer which is always what you hear when they try to justify doubling the size of government.

I entered the country on an alien visa and immediately went to the INS office in my city. I gave them all my contact information with no problems. A few months later I moved to another city so told the INS. They told me to contact the INS department in the new city and they would transfer my file. I did that and a month later came back to the office to ensure everything was okay. It turns out they couldn't find me and after another month of searching, they found my file in New Jersey, about 2,000 miles away. I had to almost beg and plead for them to locate me and they still struggled.

When people rely on government agencies to keep them safe, I can't help but chuckle.
Quote Reply