Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight
Quote | Reply
I, for one, will eagerly welcome our new Artificial Intelligence overlords. ;-)

"Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research suggesting that machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes.

The research found that gay men and women tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and “grooming styles”, essentially meaning gay men appeared more feminine and vice versa. The data also identified certain trends, including that gay men had narrower jaws, longer noses and larger foreheads than straight men, and that gay women had larger jaws and smaller foreheads compared to straight women."
New AI can work out whether you're gay or straight from a photograph | Technology | The Guardian

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people, not all, make it very obvious that they are gay. But I don't necessarily think that they are doing it on purpose.

Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Hahahahaha! Exactly!

Some of that stuff in the article -- with the facial characteristics thing -- sounds a bit like that phrenology nonsense of the early to mid-19th century.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to know our AI overlords are predisposed to stereotyping.

I heard AI is also able to guess jumping ability and math aptitude based on certain things as well.
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Nice to know our AI overlords are predisposed to stereotyping.

I heard AI is also able to guess jumping ability and math aptitude based on certain things as well.

I've heard that as well. Sooner or later it's not going to need us any long and then...cancel Christmas! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wish that all work on AI would stop. Fucking computers are going to enslave us all.

Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I really wish that all work on AI would stop. Fucking computers are going to enslave us all.

Dude, they're listening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's interesting that the computers scored better than humans. Maybe the machines didn't have the social stigma associated with stereotyping; and, therefore hadn't diminished their ability to stereotype.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does AI feel about men in denim capri spandex leggings?
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

;-)

Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

AI would probably make the coldly analytical decision to just kill them. And deservedly so! ;-) ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
windywave wrote:

AI would probably make the coldly analytical decision to just kill them. And deservedly so! ;-) ;-)

LOL I know two folks on here that will take umbrage with your post.
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
It's interesting that the computers scored better than humans. Maybe the machines didn't have the social stigma associated with stereotyping; and, therefore hadn't diminished their ability to stereotype.

Wasn't there some phenomenon with AI a few years ago where scientists had to keep shutting it down because it quickly developed racist and pro-Nazi-type outlooks (or decision trees or whatever it's called when it deals with AI)?

Maybe no "social governor switches" can be built into it, and it begins taking on our own worst attributes? I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to understanding AI, though, so I probably can't say anything meaningful about it because my understanding of it is so limited.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

It's a really interesting problem. It's like pursuing genetic manipulation or nuclear energy - there's the potential for great upside or total elimination of the human race. But there's no way we won't pursue it. If there's the chance that someone, somewhere might make advances, nobody can afford to be the one left behind and so we'll all push to be the ones at the forefront.

AI, if it's possible, is coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
SH wrote:

Wasn't there some phenomenon with AI a few years ago where scientists had to keep shutting it down because it quickly developed racist and pro-Nazi-type outlooks (or decision trees or whatever it's called when it deals with AI)?

Maybe no "social governor switches" can be built into it, and it begins taking on our own worst attributes? I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to understanding AI, though, so I probably can't say anything meaningful about it because my understanding of it is so limited.

Yes, kinda.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist'
Last edited by: Ringmaster: Sep 8, 17 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
SH wrote:

Yes, kinda.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist'

Some AI bot has killed the site you linked. Oh, shit, it's happening...

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
SH wrote:

We can definitely build in a "social governor switch". The problem is with us. This type of exercise creates a cognitive dissonance on the part of the human programmers. We've always told ourselves that our own social governors -- if we agreed with them -- did not diminish our capabilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: AI Can Now Guess From a Photo Whether You're Gay or Straight [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That face you make when your balls are comfortably cradled in Duffy's mouth:

Duffy wrote:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply