Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has there been an increased frequency and magnitude of weather events?

Serious question.

I know we've had an increased frequency and magnitude of REPORTING of pretty much every weather event.

Have we had more El Niño events?

Can you point to any data that shows any increase in extreme weather (as measured by, say, higher winds, more rain, colder blizzards, etc.)

Is ANY recent weather event unprecedented?

I know that here in the US we just had the first land fall of a hurricane in 12 years. That's very far BELOW average.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Serious question.

I know we've had an increased frequency and magnitude of REPORTING of pretty much every weather event.

Can you point to any data that shows any increase in extreme weather (as measured by, say, higher winds, more rain, colder blizzards, etc.)

I know that here in the US we just had the first land fall of a hurricane in 12 years. That's very far BELOW average.

Well, San Fran just broke a record (apparently) with a 106 degree day, until someone pointed out via an article from 1906 that stated it reached 106 degrees on the same date. I had to laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that settles it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Serious question.

Absolutely, media coverage has expanded greatly, both in volume and breathlessness. No question there. But that doesn't mean there hasn't been more to report about, too. It's not a case of either/or; both things can be true at the same time. Besides Joe or Betty Reporter standing around in waders for a camera op, we do have standardized objective measures for various types of observations like temperature, rainfall (at both the flood and drought ends of the spectrum), wind speed, acres burned, etc, going back perhaps 100 years or more in many places, and pretty well-vetted proxy data going back much further.

Besides the most recent bigger media mega-frenzy events like Sandy, Harvey, and now Irma, we've had severe droughts and fires in the West, immediately following one of the coldest/wettest winters we've had before in our area, an ongoing SST anomaly in the north Pacific PDO (commonly referred to as 'The Blob' of warmer than avg water) ~ and while certainly all these types of events have happened on & off forever, we've been approaching and/or exceeding record observations again and again in just the past few years. It's obviously possible that it's only a totally random series of coincidences, but given that global weather/climate is essentially an integrated system, it's only natural for an intelligent/curious person to look for a broader systemic explanation (such as more trapped radiant energy in the atmosphere, consistent with increased greenhouse gas accumulations) underlying the common trend.

Funny, you yourself started this thread with a "Holy shit, look at this extreme weather!" and as soon as someone agrees with you that yeah, we really have been seeing a lot of really extreme shit in a relatively short period of time and then tries to connect the dots to a position you don't like, you immediately pivot and try to walk it back to "Whoa, whoa, nothing to see here..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The hype over weather is getting very hard to take. Any mention of a hurricane brings out the Governor with a minimum of 6 somber looking men behind him, AND DON'T FORGET THE PERSON DOING SIGN LANGUAGE!!!

The message is always the same. The government officials praise all the other government officials for doing such a great job, against all odds and way beyond the call of duty. The governor, the mayor, the large team of assistants, FEMA, Congress, the President everyone, is protecting you, the people who couldn't survive without them.

Th real sign that the country is in for the latest storm that the world has never experienced before is the presence of the CNN reporters on the beach. There is nothing better than twenty four hour coverage of a reporter pleading with the audience that the storm is way worse than anyone predicted. It might look like a little wind and rain and it might appear to the untrained eye that the surfers in the background are having a ball but make no mistake, you are doomed.

P.S - FEMA will undoubtedly run out of money soon so don't forget to support more funding. You can't live without your government.

The recent storms have been pretty bad but based on the reporting, WW2 was a walk in the park in comparison.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had the same thing happen last year, micro burst. Sunny one minute, pitch black the next minute, wind and rain multiple huge trees down and Sunny 20 minutes later. The trees I lost were bigger than my chainsaw skills and I would have had to rent a splitter or borrow BLEPs. Cost me over $700 to have taken care of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I know you want to focus on the US, which is natural seeing as you live here, but it's not representative of the world.

I'm sure you'll find a way to poo-poo the data, but here's a recent article from the Economist that discusses it.

https://www.economist.com/...ht-likelihood-floods
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Serious question.

Just one data point(of course we know that does not make a trend).

Quote Reply
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you want to focus on the US, which is natural seeing as you live here, but it's not representative of the world.

The Philippines has been hit by storms with a very troubling frequency and other parts of the world are following suit. Since they don't have CNN standing on the beaches in their raincoats every time it rains and the wind picks up, they don't get the same attention. I think a lot of people tend to forget that the world is a big place...

Quote Reply
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Serious question.

Looks like an increase in named storms but not much change in hurricane numbers. Am I seeing that right?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell!?!?!? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the first time there's been a micro burst in Southern California.

Hell, we had water spouts (tornados over the ocean) that I saw from my house back in 1976.

That was touted as evidence of the coming ice age.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ubdawg wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Serious question.

Looks like an increase in named storms but not much change in hurricane numbers. Am I seeing that right?

Depending on the comparison periods named storms(tropical and hurricane) have gone up 50 to 100%, number of hurricanes have only gone up by 1 to 2 per year. But that's still a 30 to 60% increase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Depending on the comparison periods...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It's not the first time there's been a micro burst in Southern California.

Hell, we had water spouts (tornados over the ocean) that I saw from my house back in 1976.

That was touted as evidence of the coming ice age.

You trollin' me, bro? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Depending on the comparison periods...

So....50% named storm increase, with 30% hurricane increase Duffy be like.....

100% named storm increase, with 60% hurricane increase Duffy be like...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong. It's more like this...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next