Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disaster Response Question: Who Handles ATC?
Quote | Reply
I saw a pic of Houston. In its narrow scope, there must've been eight helicopters hovering for winch rescues, and that got me thinking. Who handles air traffic control for such a dense space? I can't imagine it's all VFR, as there's simply too much traffic. Further, the helos were gray-ish H-60 types (Navy, Air Force, and Army) plus an orange and white Coast Guard Dolphin.

Does Air Force CCT handle that? Some civil response team?

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Sep 1, 17 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Disaster Response Question: Who Handles ATC? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If no the AF, I'd wager the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps has an reserve ATC Detachment in DFW, wouldn't take much to deployment to the Houston area.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Disaster Response Question: Who Handles ATC? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I saw a pic of Houston. In its narrow scope, there must've been eight helicopters hovering for winch rescues, and that got me thinking. Who handles air traffic control for such a dense space? I can't imagine it's all VFR, as there's simply too much traffic. Further, the helos were gray-ish H-60 types (Navy, Air Force, and Army) plus an orange and white Coast Guard Dolphin.

Does Air Force CCT handle that? Some civil response team?

There was a similar issue over New Orleans for Katrina. There probably is no formal ATC, but probably what is called "procedural ATC" that is explained in an Airspace Control Plan. Likely, there are prescribed routes for getting into the airspace and leaving the airspace, and altitudes to fly at for deconfliction. It's definitely not IFR flight rules, as that would not be dynamic enough for what those folks are trying to do. So, my guess is procedural deconfliction under VFR flight rules and see and avoid.