Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wrmattil wrote:
Just picking nits here ......

But the Driver that was unconscious was a full time driver and reserve police officer.

However I'm in 100% agreement with the blue line statement. Even LEO's I know mention it's a problem. However in my defense I do not consider that could possibly be a valid reason here.

I was hoping you'd chime in and possibly have some info as to what's really required by regulations, in the event of a fatality accident. I don't deny that could be a valid reason .... sort of :)

Oh, I agree with you. I'm not claiming it is valid or a defense. I'm just trying to figure out the motivation here.

I cannot imagine anything that would justify the detective's behavior. I just want to know his motivation.

What are you, Ingmar Bergman or Martin Scorcese? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

I cannot imagine anything that would justify the detective's behavior. I just want to know his motivation.

I don't think he liked being shown up in public in front of his boys. The nurse was being polite and conciliatory, but when the guy on the phone just directly confronted him, he just lost it. You could see he tried to hit the phone, since the voice saying mean things came from the phone, but then she just became the next most obvious target.

I wanted to identify some conspiracy related to the fatality collision during during the police pursuit. Like maybe an investigation is underway over whether the police should have pursued in that case. But that just seems unlikely. Stopping a reckless driver (that was the probably cause for attempt to pull him over) is a valid public safety move, and the fatality was the reckless driver himself. I don't know how useful a blood draw is over a month after the collision is, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I would have felt compelled to say something.

Yeah, none of the other 6-7 people standing around watching that go down is going to be a new chapter in Profiles in Courage.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JSA wrote:

I don't think he liked being shown up in public in front of his boys. The nurse was being polite and conciliatory, but when the guy on the phone just directly confronted him, he just lost it. You could see he tried to hit the phone, since the voice saying mean things came from the phone, but then she just became the next most obvious target.

I wanted to identify some conspiracy related to the fatality collision during during the police pursuit. Like maybe an investigation is underway over whether the police should have pursued in that case. But that just seems unlikely. Stopping a reckless driver (that was the probably cause for attempt to pull him over) is a valid public safety move, and the fatality was the reckless driver himself. I don't know how useful a blood draw is over a month after the collision is, though.

I agree with you regarding why he lost it. I just want to know what he wanted the blood in the first place.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
just want to know what he wanted the blood in the first place.

I still think this is the Twilight scenario. The cop is part of a vampire clan who extracts blood from unconscious patients as part of a murky "blood draw program," that even an emergency medicine doc in this forum said he's never heard of such a thing. And it's Salt Lake, so they're Mormon vampires. Fucking Mormon vampires. We're screwed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an interesting twitter conspiracy theory out there. Someone posited that engaging in the police chase was highly suspect and against dept policy. Because the result was so catastrophic, the officers involved were facing significant possible discipline. In short, they were looking for any type of exculpatory evidence to limit their own liability.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
There is an interesting twitter conspiracy theory out there. Someone posited that engaging in the police chase was highly suspect and against dept policy. Because the result was so catastrophic, the officers involved were facing significant possible discipline. In short, they were looking for any type of exculpatory evidence to limit their own liability.

I saw that early on. Fishing expedition in the hopes the victim had something in his system to mitigate the police departments liability.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

Interesting. That would make sense.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

Somebody in about the second page of this thread suggested that possibility. It makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've reached a point at which she could have been shot dead in the doorway and a jury acquitted him on the grounds of reasonable fear for his life and safety, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I hope she has the decency to settle for his termination rather than penalizing her friends and neighbors in the form of a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the city. But that asshole needs to never carry a badge again.

Hey c'mon now, being a cop is hard, just ask Stal. I'm sure he had a really bad day, man...

Seriously, we had a kid go off his meds here in my town a few years back and the family panicked and called 911... Cops ended up shooting the kid dead on his home doorstep with the rest of the fam inside. Super tough situation, no doubt, and I did/do honestly feel bad for the cops involved, but still I'm always galled by the usual apologists with the "Well how would YOU react?" defense. Who gives a shit how I would react? Maybe I shoot the kid, maybe I wet my pants, maybe neither, maybe both. So fucking what? I'm not a cop, I don't have the training, and I'm not issued a gun and given the authority to use it on you. I bet the cop would do poorly trying to perform my job without any specific training either. If that's too much to bear, time to find another job, absolutely.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Again, what was he arresting her for?

For resisting arrest...

Was that the sketch before or after the Minister of Silly Walks?
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
sphere wrote:
I've reached a point at which she could have been shot dead in the doorway and a jury acquitted him on the grounds of reasonable fear for his life and safety, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I hope she has the decency to settle for his termination rather than penalizing her friends and neighbors in the form of a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the city. But that asshole needs to never carry a badge again.

Hey c'mon now, being a cop is hard, just ask Stal. I'm sure he had a really bad day, man...

Seriously, we had a kid go off his meds here in my town a few years back and the family panicked and called 911... Cops ended up shooting the kid dead on his home doorstep with the rest of the fam inside. Super tough situation, no doubt, and I did/do honestly feel bad for the cops involved, but still I'm always galled by the usual apologists with the "Well how would YOU react?" defense. Who gives a shit how I would react? Maybe I shoot the kid, maybe I wet my pants, maybe neither, maybe both. So fucking what? I'm not a cop, I don't have the training, and I'm not issued a gun and given the authority to use it on you. I bet the cop would do poorly trying to perform my job without any specific training either. If that's too much to bear, time to find another job, absolutely.

He's been fired from his job as an EMT now due to the unethical statements he made regarding transporting patients to the hospital in question.
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [wrmattil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrmattil wrote:
Question #1: Why was the SLCPD so dead set on getting the blood from this guy in the first place ?!?! This question is what I think may well be the Nexis for all of this. It's pretty clear that the unconscious driver committed no crime and is a victim as well. The Esteemed Detective was quoted as saying in his police report (ABC News reported this) that this Blood Draw was for the unconscious drivers protection ???!!!???. In what way did this driver need to be protected ?

On another page I was reading, it was mentioned that since the driver had a CDL, the laws regarding implied consent & chemical testing don't apply in the same manner as they do for non-CDL holders. Maybe, maybe not - I have no idea.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Body cam shows Salt Lake police officer trying to arrest a nurse [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
wrmattil wrote:
Question #1: Why was the SLCPD so dead set on getting the blood from this guy in the first place ?!?! This question is what I think may well be the Nexis for all of this. It's pretty clear that the unconscious driver committed no crime and is a victim as well. The Esteemed Detective was quoted as saying in his police report (ABC News reported this) that this Blood Draw was for the unconscious drivers protection ???!!!???. In what way did this driver need to be protected ?

On another page I was reading, it was mentioned that since the driver had a CDL, the laws regarding implied consent & chemical testing don't apply in the same manner as they do for non-CDL holders. Maybe, maybe not - I have no idea.

I'll say what I said above, you'd think people who do this stuff all the time would know about it if such a thing mattered. IMO, doesn't really matter one way or the other regarding the officers actions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next