Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amazon and Microsoft are working together
Quote | Reply
I see the huge potential benefits of AI and wanted to experience it for myself so I started using Alexa for the first time a couple of days ago. I have already gotten used to what Alexa can do for me and It's now used by all my family because it's so simple to use. For you programming types check out IFTTT. For others that just want to simplify their lives give Alexa a try or some variant. This is a great area to be working in and it's only going to grow:

"In an interview last Friday at one of Amazon’s Seattle high-rises, Mr. Bezos predicted that over time people would turn to different digital assistants — also called “A.I.s,” for artificial intelligence — the same way they turn to one friend for advice about hiking and another for restaurant recommendations.

“I want them to have access to as many of those A.I.s as possible.” Mr. Bezos said.

As an example, Mr. Bezos cited Cortana's superior integration with Outlook, the popular calendar and email application that is part of the Microsoft Office suite of software. Because Microsoft controls both products, Outlook is integrated more deeply with Cortana than with other voice assistants. Through its collaboration with Microsoft, Amazon said, Alexa users will get answers to some of the same questions that Cortana can now answer — for instance, when is the next budget review with the boss?"

https://www.nytimes.com/...crosoft-cortana.html

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon and Microsoft are working together [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Built my own alexa-like unit with a raspberry pi. It's entirely written in python and uses sphinx for speech recognition. And you can train alexa to develop new skills rather easily:
https://developer.amazon.com/...quick-start-tutorial

The nicest part of all these activities is that many of the big companies are making their APIs available to the public or even going fully open source. The fact that you can download a library for Python and immediately begin leveraging these AI software tools to perform various tasks in less than 5 minutes is mind-boggling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does Alexa do for you and your family that you like? Educate me.

I am somewhat familiar with the different voice commands and info it can give you. We fixed up my blind grandmother with an Alexa pod, to give her the time, news, dial the phone, etc...

However I would never use if for those things.

Are you using it as an integrated house management system..like controlling your thermostat, security, things like that?

Do you like it for the voice commands via FireTV?

All those seem like nice tricks, but I haven't been able to convince myself that I would care to use if for those things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in trying it but I'm already uncomfortable with how much information all these companies have about me so I'm not sure I can get past Amazon always listening to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use our dog as if she were Alexa. It seems to work for us.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon and Microsoft are working together [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
What does Alexa do for you and your family that you like? Educate me.

I am somewhat familiar with the different voice commands and info it can give you. We fixed up my blind grandmother with an Alexa pod, to give her the time, news, dial the phone, etc...

However I would never use if for those things.

Are you using it as an integrated house management system..like controlling your thermostat, security, things like that?

Do you like it for the voice commands via FireTV?

All those seem like nice tricks, but I haven't been able to convince myself that I would care to use if for those things.

It can teach you/your kids foreign languages. Help them learn to spell. Learn math. Play games with them: Here is a partial list of some of the things Alexa can do for kids today:

https://turbofuture.com/...lexa-Skills-for-Kids

Voice is the interface to Alexa. It now has control of our calendars. Our grocery lists too. News/sports. Recipes. Amazon ordering, bar tending and it can call other Alexa users.... Music on command which is great excepts my kids now use it to listen to their music....I am using an Alexa "skill" which keeps track of all the songs that get listened too because I now hear music I never before heard. I'm interfaced into Pandora, Amazon music and my online music. Basically I can listen to almost anything I want just by asking for it.

We don't have any electronics that can be controlled by Alexa today but all our future purchases will interface with it. Score Amazon for locking us into their OS. Also, I am really interested in seeing what kind of modules I can create. As riotgear said above, module development is easy or of course you can use open source modules that are available for free.. If you were looking to purchase a home you'd be crazy not to take advantage of Smart Home devices. Have you seen Nest's thermostat? It's a good example of where homes are heading and who doesn't want to save some $$$?

As I said I'm looking at this purchase as my day one entry into AI. It's kind of like the Wright Bros first flight. You got a plane that can fly one person but down the road you get so much more. And I can develop my own airplane if I choose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I (and my group) do a lot of AI for biomedical research, data collection etc. We also use AWS for several of the tools we've built.
We face somewhat trickier situations since we don't have the luxury to train voice recognition tools so we have to go other routes, but
I have looked at and used the linked posted by riotgear and have to say I'm very impressed with what they've done.

If you're keen on using AI, Machine Learning etc. Google's tensorflow is a lot of fun, although definitely for people who code. It's certainly not a
tool you can just grab and use.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon and Microsoft are working together [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I (and my group) do a lot of AI for biomedical research, data collection etc. We also use AWS for several of the tools we've built.
We face somewhat trickier situations since we don't have the luxury to train voice recognition tools so we have to go other routes, but
I have looked at and used the linked posted by riotgear and have to say I'm very impressed with what they've done.

If you're keen on using AI, Machine Learning etc. Google's tensorflow is a lot of fun, although definitely for people who code. It's certainly not a
tool you can just grab and use.

Wow. That sounds like bleeding edge. I'm envious. I always loved working with new technology and I can see the day coming soon when people are able to do medical testing over the net instead of going into an office of sick people. What language is tensorflow similar too?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tensorflow is an open source platform for machine learning / deep learning. It's written in a mix of C++, python and a bit of CUDA for parallelism.
That's the kind of stuff our group does. We have various projects ranging from management of chronic conditions, to cancer control, alzheimer's disease etc.
And yes, it's a LOT of fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon and Microsoft are working together [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riotgear wrote:
Built my own alexa-like unit with a raspberry pi. It's entirely written in python and uses sphinx for speech recognition. And you can train alexa to develop new skills rather easily:
https://developer.amazon.com/...quick-start-tutorial

The nicest part of all these activities is that many of the big companies are making their APIs available to the public or even going fully open source. The fact that you can download a library for Python and immediately begin leveraging these AI software tools to perform various tasks in less than 5 minutes is mind-boggling.

I followed your link and in 5+ minutes I created the simple color picker skill. I'm looking forward to building more skills as time permits. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received an Amazon Echo Show as a gift the other day and after four minutes of setting it up could not stop laughing at how silly it is. I ask to hear a song and it's played. I ask what the weather is and am told. I asked for a 5a wake up and heard it. Interestingly bizarre for me. I other than having it provide me with a few bits of information, it won't be used much.

Quote | Reply

Quote Reply