Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Logan Lucky
Quote | Reply
Redneck Ocean's Eleven.

That pretty much says it all, and it's not really surprising since Steven Soderbergh directed this movie as well as the Ocean's films.

Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) is a down on his luck ex-high school football star, with an injured leg and an ex-wife who has married into money and is threatening to move away with his daughter. When he loses his construction job, he teams up with his brother Clyde (Adam Driver) and proposes that they rob Charlotte Motor Speedway to get the money he'll need to fight to keep his daughter. Jimmy's construction job was fixing sinkholes in the speedway infield, and he has seen where the speedway keeps all its money. All they need is a few people to help execute his plan. The pair hire Joe Bang (Daniel Craig) and a few other low rent co-conspirators, and set off to steal a lot of money, in a complex heist, predictably running into a variety of snags along the way.

The ads for Logan Lucky made it seem like it might be some sort of redneck slapstick comedy, but that's not really what the movie is. There are funny moments, but the tone is much more like the Ocean's movies, where it's primarily a heist movie with dramatic undertones, and some funny circumstances tossed in. The acting is generally pretty decent, except maybe for Seth MacFarlane who just really isn't ever any good (he should stick to animation). The ensemble cast is actually pretty stacked, with Tatum and Driver, plus Craig, Dwight Yoakam, Sebastian Stan (Winter Soldier), Hillary Swank, Katie Holmes, and a handful of other familiar faces. The film also generally moves pretty well, although it seemed to slow down a bit in the middle.

Overall, I enjoyed Logan Lucky, and liked the application of a somewhat familiar formula to a different world. There was no sex or violence, and just a bit of foul language. Although the movie hasn't done so well with box office, if you're looking for something other than big action or animated kids' movies, and if you liked the Ocean's feel, you could do a lot worse than seeing this at the theater.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Logan Lucky [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Redneck Ocean's Eleven.

That's the exact phrase I used when my wife and I were discussing which movie to see this past weekend. That didn't exactly sell her on it.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure hoe Seth Macfarlane continues to get acting jobs. He is awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Logan Lucky [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Yeah, he was probably the worst thing about this movie. Fortunately, he mostly played a minor role. Not sure why they gave him his own television series to carry.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the movie a couple weeks ago. It confused me. Billed as a comedy, I went expecting to laugh. But it wasn't very funny. There were amusing moments but I wouldn't call it comedy at all. I didn't dislike the movie; I just didn't quite know what to make of it. Critics are gushing all over it but it hasn't performed well at the box office. It seemed to lack an identity to me. I imagine I'm not the only one who left the theater feeling that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Yeah, he was probably the worst thing about this movie. Fortunately, he mostly played a minor role. Not sure why they gave him his own television series to carry.

Agree re: Seth Macfarlane.

I saw Logan Lucky last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. As they say in the movie "Oceans 7-11"
Quote Reply