Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You
Quote | Reply
Okay, so that hed is a bit clickbait-y (well, a LOT clickbait-y ;-). So sue me.

Anyway, I'm retired military and I benefit from Tricare for all my healthcare needs and I haven't been to a Veterans Administration medical center in two decades (and then only as part of my duties as a health care administrator at a nearby Navy hospital). I don't utilize their services, in other words, and I'm not even registered with the VA. Part of that is because I've been so blessed with more than ample resources to support myself and my wife that I feel like I'd be stealing from other far less fortunate vets if I ever did make use of VA services, so I've never been to one of them, really.

Well I had a battle buddy who also lives in the area and he had no way to get to his VA appointments yesterday so I drove him to Detroit's John D. Dingell VA Medical Center and spent the morning there with him. I came away singularly impressed with the place and with the staff, every single one of them from the doctors to the nurses to the technicians to the foodservice and janitorial and retail store ("VCS Patriot Store") staff, without exception.

Everyone was unfailingly polite and cheerful and the various clinics I took him took to were amazingly well-organized. I spent some time as a Navy healthcare administrator, so I know the ins-and-outs of running a hospital. This massive place was well-run. Also, it was one of the cleanest, best-kept facilities I've ever seen. It would have no problem passing at least the facilities portion of its accreditation process, I'd say. Plus, there was a huge number of specialty clinics and services, including a community living center and a hospice for our veterans making their final journey to Valhalla and the hall of heroes.

Kudos to the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center. As we'd say in the naval service, "Bravo Zulu!"

Below, some pictures of the atrium area as well as one of the clinic areas. Nice, nice place with nice, nice people across the board.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful, saying the government is running something well around here is tantamount to treason for the LR right wing.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My VA experiences (my wife is the vet) have never been consistent with news horror stories. Good, competent service. Not totally excessive wait times.

It's always a little depressing seeing some of the patients. Clear mental problems, etc. But that's not the VA's fault.

I think everyone American should tour a military or VA at some point to see the human cost of war. There's nothing like seeing, first-hand, 7-8 guys lined up all with prosthetics.

One of the deepest experiences I've had in my life was working with a guy out at Ft. Benning. I met him and worked with him for about a week, so didn't know him that well. But he seemed like a totally squared-away and sharp guy. Bright, cheerful, can-do. He was just out of the service. Ranger type stuff. Was then a contractor on my project. I was driving in a pickup truck with him across Georgia, talking bro-talk. And then he mentions he'd been going to the VA for some issues. Had just had a CAT scan, etc. Pauses for a while. Then says they'd just diagnosed him with pretty severe PTSD and given him a bunch of pills he was supposed to take. He didn't want to take any fucking pills. Hadn't told his wife or family any of it. Then he just started sobbing. You could see the guy was just so ashamed of himself, and hadn't told anyone. He'd only told me because I really didn't matter - just a random work guy. But he'd obviously needed to tell someone.

VA staff gets this every day, all while being slammed in political circles and the media as a political football.
Quote Reply
Re: I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
My VA experiences (my wife is the vet) have never been consistent with news horror stories. Good, competent service. Not totally excessive wait times.

It's always a little depressing seeing some of the patients. Clear mental problems, etc. But that's not the VA's fault.

I think everyone American should tour a military or VA at some point to see the human cost of war. There's nothing like seeing, first-hand, 7-8 guys lined up all with prosthetics.

One of the deepest experiences I've had in my life was working with a guy out at Ft. Benning. I met him and worked with him for about a week, so didn't know him that well. But he seemed like a totally squared-away and sharp guy. Bright, cheerful, can-do. He was just out of the service. Ranger type stuff. Was then a contractor on my project. I was driving in a pickup truck with him across Georgia, talking bro-talk. And then he mentions he'd been going to the VA for some issues. Had just had a CAT scan, etc. Pauses for a while. Then says they'd just diagnosed him with pretty severe PTSD and given him a bunch of pills he was supposed to take. He didn't want to take any fucking pills. Hadn't told his wife or family any of it. Then he just started sobbing. You could see the guy was just so ashamed of himself, and hadn't told anyone. He'd only told me because I really didn't matter - just a random work guy. But he'd obviously needed to tell someone.

VA staff gets this every day, all while being slammed in political circles and the media as a political football.

I saw a few of the more beaten-up vets yesterday. I felt guilty, a bit, for having all my limbs, my eyesight and hearing and a good life. You could tell the staff felt for those men and women and were as cheerful and upbeat as they could be. And they knew almost all their "regulars" by name, no matter the clinic or age of the vet. I saw vets from their early 20s to one gentleman who was 92 years old and a WWII troop.

Before we left, we stopped by the community living center and the hospice up on the fifth floor. I won't lie and say I didn't tear up a bit, and my battle buddy was blubbering like a baby. Good for him.

Quote Reply
Re: I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Careful, saying the government is running something well around here is tantamount to treason for the LR right wing.

The hands that once were raised in strife
Now clasp a brother’s hand
And long as flows the tide of life–
In peace, in toil, when war is rife
We shall as brothers stand
One heart, one soul, for our fine land.

-- Joseph Ignatious Constantine Clarke

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to hear this when only a lot of what is heard is about the VA's mistakes and poor performance. I know my uncle did not have the best things to say about the VA when he needed surgery in Philadelphia.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: I Visited a VA Medical Center Yesterday: What I Found Will Shock You [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister in law was a nurse at a VA hospital for ~10yrs. Described as a bunch of well intentioned folks in a typical government dysfunctional bureaucracy. Unless you've experienced government bureaucracy first hand you can't imagine how dysfunctional it can be. Many people do almost nothing all day, and those that work hard, are working hard at required tasks that aren't actually productive.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I found odd with the VA system was the treatment of a coworker who was wheelchair bound from an incident while in the Army. He could get local care for somethings, but needed wound mgt care and had to drive 5 hours to Richmond VA for this specialized care. Very inconvenient especially since he was still working. Eventually his doctor said he had to stop working. I suspect there must have been several closer hospitals (we are in Delaware). I wonder if VA should not be supplementing their services with private care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with most of the comments posted here as I volunteer at the local VA four days a week. My father was treated there for over two decades up until his passing months ago. The first couple of years of care were a bit rough due to the long waits but he was never turned away. The last few years of care were superb after he came down with several ailments that lead to admittance. Fortunately he never experienced any of the horror stories that made news in recent year.
The staff have always been more than helpful. Still, months later care enough to ask how I am doing and share kind words about my father. Because of them (and him), volunteering seemed fitting. I help patients get to their appointments, take them to Sunday service and stop by to see some in the CLC. The work is fun and good but difficult at times knowing about injuries and passing but part of the job. For me, the greatest takeaway is seeing male veterans help one another get the health and mental care they greatly need.