Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dealing with Parents' Money [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total aside. Symptoms of early onset set in well before 72.

Get professional advice as stated above.

My grandmother did not have dementia but she was giving shit away to random people for a while before we got on top of it and banged it on the head.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with Parents' Money [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to hear this.. It's a tough situation.. I went through this with my father to some degree. His condition worsened so quickly that in a moment of clarity he knew it was his time was coming to an end and asked to be admitted to a nursing home, and if possible taken off the accounts he could withdrawn from if he got out.

It sucks and I'm sorry you are going through this. Easily the toughest thing I've had to deal with.

They were in a very small town, so we could talk with the bank and ask if he did come in to have my mother approve anything first, while the paper work was getting drawn up.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with Parents' Money [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good advice here. I'll say that we lost my Mom to Alzheimer's three years ago and my stepfather to a more aggressive form of dementia called Lewy Body Syndrome. Anyway, it is going to be important to have your Dad's cognitive abilities tested by a medical professional. There are a number of tests available that are routinely used for exactly this sort of situation. The courts will value the results of the testing along with a psychologist's opinion to ascertain his cognitive abilities. It might be tough getting him to a psychologist to get tested, but you are really going to need to get it done for this situation. We actually were able to get both of my parents tested 2-3 times each during their respective declines and it enabled us to set up a trust that my sister was appointed trustee for. We had a very close call of losing everything to a church lady that latched on to my stepfather a year before my Mom passed away. She made no secret of her intention to marry him and move him in with her. She was simply after his money. As a result of his condition, he had latched on to her for a feeling of security and made the entire situation very complicated. We almost had to get a restraining order against her.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply

Prev Next