Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Port [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Have you ever had white port? We have a bottle that I won. Haven't opened it yet because The wife was preggo.

Honestly, after the bourbon-tinged 2006 Maryhill red, I've had more white ports that I really really liked than reds. They tend to have a bit more nutty/woodsy flavor and not as sweet/fruity (though I readily admit that's a *very* gross generalization).
Quote Reply
Re: Port [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed that it would be hard to find here as well, so I never even bothered to look for it. Turns out I was wrong:

http://www.binnys.com/...pineau+des+charentes

I believe that windy also lives in the land of Binny's - there's one on Dempster, just E of the Edens if you're interested.

They also have some rums that were aged in Pineau barrels - sounds promising!

Seems that a visit to Binny's is in my very near future.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Port [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found it at our local ABC store. Well, I asked them, and they got it :-)
While they were at it, they also brought in a variety of Sauternes. And since I have a very sweet tooth, they made me a happy customer.
Quote Reply
Re: Port [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
What kind of zins are you consuming that would replace port?

I would not say replace. Instead, I would say "why bother" with port if I'm already drinking this tasty zin. Which is typically northern Napa or northern Sonoma county zins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
I assumed that it would be hard to find here as well, so I never even bothered to look for it. Turns out I was wrong:

http://www.binnys.com/...pineau+des+charentes

I believe that windy also lives in the land of Binny's - there's one on Dempster, just E of the Edens if you're interested.

They also have some rums that were aged in Pineau barrels - sounds promising!

Seems that a visit to Binny's is in my very near future.

Go to the one that's north of Lake Cook on Skokie Valley (I think) ... you'd be in lake county, less taxes.
Quote Reply
Re: Port [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the one in Highland Park is between home and work for me - figured the Skokie location was likely closer to you. Also, the Skokie location has been the first place in the area to get Bell's HopSlam when it comes out (Jan/Feb), and they have a 1 case/customer limit (most places limit you to 1 or 2 x 6). If you're an IPA/DIPA fan, that's gold.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Port [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ever want the cold shoulder, ask them if it's a port. My buddy did a few years back, and I actually thought they weren't going to sell us any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is good especially after steak and a good red.

Definitely.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so rather than an after-dinner dessert, I prefer a good port and cheese. A manchego variety goes really well with port. But something gooey and stinky, where it's easier to serve with a spoon than a knife, also works..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madeira

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Yep, the one in Highland Park is between home and work for me - figured the Skokie location was likely closer to you. Also, the Skokie location has been the first place in the area to get Bell's HopSlam when it comes out (Jan/Feb), and they have a 1 case/customer limit (most places limit you to 1 or 2 x 6). If you're an IPA/DIPA fan, that's gold.

When at my parents I usually go to the one in HP. The one on Dempster is right by Kaufman's. As for the city: South Loop, one right by where you get on the highway at Ontario (one block South) and then one on Clark in the building that looks like a castle.
Quote Reply

Prev Next