Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You don't even need sunglasses to look at the eclipse.

Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump's tweets are really going to be stupid now that he can't see what he's writing.
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
orphious wrote:
Dumb question. But is it more dangerous to look at the sun during an eclipse than any other day?

No. It's just that you are more likely to look at it longer during an eclipse. It's the duration that is an issue. On an average day most people would not sit and stare at the sun.

Yah, the duration is one issue. The other is that your pupils are more dilated during the eclipse, so you let more sunlight energy onto your retina per second (or millisecond, really) than you would during a regular sunny day.

EDIT: I see windy types slightly faster than I do....

And I'm more pithy
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
My neighbor put 2 pairs of sunglasses on. He didn't look for long, but still.

Your neighbor is not too intelligent
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
And she's the one with an advanced degree.....
One of my colleagues (ICU doc) invited me up to the parking garage roof for viewing. I said you can see it just fine from the ground level parking lot.

"Oh, but the view is much better from the roof!"

Yeah, 93 million miles is kinda far. Ok, I'm coming...

Well duh. That's why you get sunburned in the mountains much faster. Your 12,000 feet closer to the sun.

The view from the roof must have made the sun look yuge!

The best. Nobody saw it better.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it through a hardcore arc-welding helmet which the welder told me was fine. Have a bit of headache, but can still see so far.
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's just say that's not the first dumb thing he's ever done....

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully exposed and developed B&W film can be used safely, the silver halide provides protection. Some of the geeks here were using 3.5" floppy disks looking through the little window...I have no idea if that is safe or not.
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I watched it through a hardcore arc-welding helmet which the welder told me was fine. Have a bit of headache, but can still see so far.

You're going to die.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got some great pics from cascade lake, Idaho. 1:40 totality is not a long time to chase that perfect shot...

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it through a hardcore arc-welding helmet which the welder told me was fine.
---

Found it!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I just read where NASA said that it can damage the camera on the phone if it isn't protected.

What, NASA thinks they're photography experts now? They need to just stick to astrology and shit...

Even Astrology is fucked these days

http://www.popsci.com/...what-you-think-it-is

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I think welding shields need to be shade 12 or darker to be considered safe. I wouldn't trust a welder with my vision!

Then there's this guy....

Sorry, just had to go there.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I wouldn't trust a welder with my vision!

He's a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (and welder), so I trusted him. And I can still see as of this morning!
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked.... now every time I close my eyes this is what I see. : )

Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a vagina.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Looks like a vagina.

I don't think that you've ever seen a vagina before.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: "I can look at the eclipse with sunglasses, can't I?" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Looks like a vagina.

I don't think that you've ever seen a vagina before.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I went to Harbor Freight but they were completely sold out of welding lenses (no real surprise). I took a couple glances through two sheets cut out of a plastic garbage bag. I was afraid to look longer. I saw the garbage man come by in the morning to empty my can, but stupidly I did not think to ask him for his advice

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I think I dated that girl in college. Her name was Gaia IIRC.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply

Prev Next