Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities
Quote | Reply
http://www.npr.org/...sn-t-been-strong-eno

Tried to paste the graphs on the question of "Do you think statues honoring leaders of the Confederacy should ______?", but it did not format nicely. Most say they should stay. Even a slight majority of African Americans agree they should stay.

The only groups in which a plurality said the statues should be removed are Democrats, especially those identifying as "strong Democrats," those identifying as "very liberal" and those who disapprove of the president.

See the poll for other questions about how people view Trumps handling etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not surprising. I wish they would create a poll asking how many people feel that America should kick out the minorities. I'd guess you get a number close to 20% but I could be way too low. I think that even the most optimistic people now realize that racism has not changed much over the last 50 years. Nazi's marching in the US???

To quote a fellow poster "we are so fucked".

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Not surprising. I wish they would create a poll asking how many people feel that America should kick out the minorities. I'd guess you get a number close to 20% but I could be way too low. I think that even the most optimistic people now realize that racism has not changed much over the last 50 years. Nazi's marching in the US???

20% of the people you know want to kick out minorities?

I don't know any. But I suspect 1 or 2 % might answer a poll that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wish they would create a poll asking how many people feel that America should kick out the minorities. I'd guess you get a number close to 20% but I could be way too low.

Wow. You have an unrealistically shitty opinion of your fellow countrymen.

No way that 20% of this country wants to kick out minorities. You're watching waaaaayyyyy too much tv.

Seriously. Turn that fucking thing off.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm torn on the statue idea. I study a lot of history. I would own Nazi items if it didn't mean I would be savaged after I die because it is very historically significant. Not because I support Nazi's. I own a a variety of artifacts, and I don't think you should have to worry about the morality of the people who created an artifact collected because it is an artifact. I'm pretty sure I'm not being coherent here but if you try hard you can get the point.

On the other hand, the vast majority of these statues were not created to remember the historical significance of an event or person from the Civil War. Or acknowledge the struggle or regular CSA soldiers. They were erected in the Jim Crow era for the most part by people fighting things put into place during reconstruction. So the person depicted might be Lee, but the aim was an F you to the ideas put forth in reconstruction.

I'd like to keep the statues and Stone Mountain. But you have to acknowledge the sentiment behind them. Much like I'd own a Nazi dagger but make a point of how horrible that time was and what the Nazi's did. I doubt the people fighting to keep CSA statues would like a sign put on Lee's statue saying, "Here is a statue of a traitor who fought to keep an entire race in subjugation."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polls on topics like this are always going to skew toward what people are used to.

Gay marriage polls, as an example, swung wildly over a 10 year period. Nothing changed about the concept, and not nearly enough people died to make such a dramatic swing in the polls. People changed their minds.

That's not to say that the statues should be removed. I'm only suggesting that a poll regarding the removal of something that doesn't really harm anyone and has been there as long as people have been alive is going to skew toward the status quo.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

20% of the people you know want to kick out minorities?

I don't know any. But I suspect 1 or 2 % might answer a poll that way.

I believe that how most people think and act privately is way different then how they act in public. My county went for Trump. My neighbors openly support the wall. They are not kooks. They are not bad people. They are hardworking white middle-class voters that feel they are getting screwed by Washington while minorities get all the breaks. I remember not too long ago people stating (screaming???) that people who voted for Trump were racist. And if you remember Trump's vote total again was 62,984,825....and that support doesn't include non-voters; "Voter turnout this year (2016)dipped to nearly its lowest point in two decades."

"Many elections experts are trying to decipher Donald Trump's surprising presidential victory that defied most poll projections as he chalked up wins in states that have favored Democrats in past elections.

"He did extremely well in small towns and rural areas,” Emory University political expert Alan Abramowitz told VOA, “and just generally was able to capitalize on this anger and frustration out there among a pretty large segment of the electorate, mainly white voters without a college degree, who felt they've been ignored and perhaps also who resent that they see immigrants and minorities taking their jobs or getting advantages they don't get.” (bold mine)

Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would own Nazi items if it didn't mean I would be savaged after I die because it is very historically significant. Not because I support Nazi's. I own a a variety of artifacts, and I don't think you should have to worry about the morality of the people who created an artifact collected because it is an artifact. I'm pretty sure I'm not being coherent here but if you try hard you can get the point.

It's entirely coherent. The only people who can't appreciate the distinction are the same people who claim that removing lionizing statues of confederate heroes are "erasing history," and who think every monument with any connection whatsoever to the confederacy should be torn down.

I'd love to own some WWII collectables, in particular the weaponry and propaganda pieces.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Polls on topics like this are always going to skew toward what people are used to.

Gay marriage polls, as an example, swung wildly over a 10 year period. Nothing changed about the concept, and not nearly enough people died to make such a dramatic swing in the polls. People changed their minds.

That's not to say that the statues should be removed. I'm only suggesting that a poll regarding the removal of something that doesn't really harm anyone and has been there as long as people have been alive is going to skew toward the status quo.

Last time I looked there were 13 states that were still anti-gay marriage. Some may wonder how can this be? Isn't it logical and fair that everyone should have equal rights? Does being against gay marriage make you a bigot and if so doesn't that make for a lot of bigots? 13 states is more than 25% of the states. And the legislators against gay marriage aren't secretive about their opinions. I think we underestimate hatred an bigotry because acknowledging it still widely exists makes us seem small minded, petty and for many people it's downright scary to confront.

Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I would own Nazi items if it didn't mean I would be savaged after I die because it is very historically significant. Not because I support Nazi's. I own a a variety of artifacts, and I don't think you should have to worry about the morality of the people who created an artifact collected because it is an artifact. I'm pretty sure I'm not being coherent here but if you try hard you can get the point.

It's entirely coherent. The only people who can't appreciate the distinction are the same people who claim that removing lionizing statues of confederate heroes are "erasing history," and who think every monument with any connection whatsoever to the confederacy should be torn down.

I'd love to own some WWII collectables, in particular the weaponry and propaganda pieces.

You have to give them credit. The uniforms, flags, logos, daggers, etc. have great styling. The uniforms were designed and produced by Hugo Boss so they should.

Stuff like that has come up on auctions every now and then. And frequently it goes cheaper than you would expect. If you bid I'm sure many there would assume you are a Nazi and if you own any, when you die everyone will think you were a closet Nazi. I also cannot figure out any way to display anything like that outside of a larger WWII collection without coming across as a Nazi.

Oh yeah, back to CSA statues.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Polls related to Statues and this weeks activities [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I think you can safely own WWII German guns and no one or few are going to think you a Nazi sympathizer unless you say or act like you are. Though perhaps if you display in some way giving it elevated status or it has swastikas on it then That might be too much.

I own Russian WWII guns and no one thinks it makes me a Commie sympathizer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, this is what I'm referring to:

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply