Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clouds came in in downtown Nashville, but it was pretty wild how it just got dark all at once. Birds circled around and settled down and building lights immediately came on and it was like evening time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashland City TN was clear. The 2 minutes of totality was worth the drive. A bit of a nail biter with the passing clouds though.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Clouds came in in downtown Nashville, but it was pretty wild how it just got dark all at once. Birds circled around and settled down and building lights immediately came on and it was like evening time.

At the Hermitage the last cloud left 10 minutes before totality. The suspense was agonizing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Ashland City TN was clear. The 2 minutes of totality was worth the drive. A bit of a nail biter with the passing clouds though.

Same in the Sumter Cemetery in Sumter, SC.

I had 3 Go Pro's doing time-lapse on various headstones, another 4 dslr's doing the same. I wasn't concerned so much with the time lapse stuff with ten minutes to go when we had cloud pass over, but it made it difficult with a mirrorless camera and another dslr setup to shoot the eclipse. We got lucky and had clear sky at full eclipse.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High clouds moved off, giving us a beautiful day for eclipse viewing in mid Missouri. Here's a quickly-produced composite of photos I took during stages of the eclipse. (Look closely, and you'll see how the sunspots change position in the photos as the sun and earth rotate relative to one another during those three hours.)

Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dayton, TN (Scopes Monkey Trial) had a beautiful clear sky and 2:31 of total eclipse time. I met several people who traveled there from Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to live in the path of the total eclipse so all I had to do was sit outside and wait for it....it would have been 100% worth it to travel a few hours to see it. Partial eclipse is pretty cool but the total eclipse was one of the coolest natural phenomena I've ever seen. Absolutely incredible to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [flowersofmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flowersofmoss wrote:
I was lucky enough to live in the path of the total eclipse so all I had to do was sit outside and wait for it....it would have been 100% worth it to travel a few hours to see it. Partial eclipse is pretty cool but the total eclipse was one of the coolest natural phenomena I've ever seen. Absolutely incredible to watch.

It was amazing, way bigger deal than I would have imagined. The difference between 98 or 99 percent and totality was huge. Photos don't do it justice.

I live in the totality zone so didn't have to travel. Before this, I probably wouldn't have driven an hour to be in totality, after that experience, I'd probably drive 20 to do it again.

Wyoming had a million visitors, almost trippling our population. Traffic was quite a spectacle, not quite as amazing as the eclipse, but incredible in its own way.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
flowersofmoss wrote:

It was amazing, way bigger deal than I would have imagined. The difference between 98 or 99 percent and totality was huge. Photos don't do it justice.

I live in the totality zone so didn't have to travel. Before this, I probably wouldn't have driven an hour to be in totality, after that experience, I'd probably drive 20 to do it again.

Wyoming had a million visitors, almost trippling our population. Traffic was quite a spectacle, not quite as amazing as the eclipse, but incredible in its own way.

Just chiming in to tag along here, traveled from LA to Madras, OR to see what the hype was all about. When they say even 98 or 99% is MUCH different than totality, they mean it. It didn't even seem to get perceptively that dark even at 90 or 95, even with a little sliver, it was like "OK, this is kinda cool," but when the sliver went away and you could take off the shades. Have to say I was very moved by it. We were in terrain where you could sort of see the shadow, or at least the darkness, come down the slopes of a nearby peak and then just envelop us. It was one of the coolest, if not the coolest things I've ever seen.

We made a weekend out of it, no traffic at all getting there Sunday (until we got a half mile from our festival site, then it was sit and wait). Hung out until about 3 to let crowds disperse and made the 120 mile drive to Portland in about 4 hours LOL. Would do it again in a heartbeat (and may in 2024)
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sooo, how was the wedding? (I know you weren't there).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Sooo, how was the wedding? (I know you weren't there).

You mean the Mistake at Crater Lake? God cried.

Zombie Bait had an appointment for hair and make up at 4:00 a.m. (yep) Sunday so they could be on the road by 7:30 a.m. and at Crater Lake by 9:30 a.m. Instead, she dragged everyone out of bed at 3:30 a.m. and did not get on the road until 8:30 a.m. Yeah ...

There was smoke everywhere and a few people had coughing fits, but they made it through the ceremony. They had to hike 45 minutes in their wedding clothes to get to a location w/o people. After the ceremony everyone was forced to wait around for an hour while pictures were taken, then they hiked back to the car. By the time they got to the cars, the park was flooded with people and it took a couple hours to get out.

Wifie, our daughter and daughter's boyfriend left Oregon and drove to Seattle today (our daughter lives there). They left at 5:15 a.m. and should have been home by 1:30 p.m. They arrived in Seattle at 6:15 p.m. due to having to fight with eclipse traffic.

Overall, sounds like they did me a favor by excluding me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

Congrats on your new family member!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
flowersofmoss wrote:

Several small towns in East Tennessee saw record numbers of visitors over the weekend. Travel to the area was nothing but once the eclipse was over the traffic was horrible getting out. Next time they should schedule the eclipse for a weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: So where are you going for the eclipse? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
307trout wrote:
flowersofmoss wrote:

Several small towns in East Tennessee saw record numbers of visitors over the weekend. Travel to the area was nothing but once the eclipse was over the traffic was horrible getting out. Next time they should schedule the eclipse for a weekend.

You have no freaking idea. The 6 hour 13 minute drive down took about 5:45. I had time to drive to a couple sites, go downtown, decide I didn't wasn't to sit in the sun at the baseball stadium, go out to the Hermitage, never any traffic at all.

It took me 14 hours to get home. It was just a rolling traffic jam. I think every single road in Kentucky was backed up. I would have stopped but with 926 million people on the road I am sure every hotel was beyond full.

In 2024 I am in the path of totality, weather permitting I am setting up shop in my back yard. All of you are welcome.

Of course if the weather looks bad I am driving to Texas.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next